How community developers get awarded by Athom

I created a topic in which I humbly ask Homey users to make donations to buy a development/test Homey.

The question from the OP still stands tho.

1 Like

Just wanted to post the same. Funny thing going one. Promoting on one side but lacking some nurturing on the other side

At least they now acknowledge community apps and the developers this way :+1:

Out of the top 5 apps, how many can you still install on version 2?
i see two that are not compatible… and are just grayed out

I appreciate a lot how much effort developers put in to their apps (and i know Athom do too), I would happily donate a “coffee” to the developers that i use apps for, from the outside tho it looks, things look like this at times
user finds a issue -->
reports it to the developer -->

then

• developer puts some time in and fixs the issue (yay)
  • you find out the app is abondonware
  • developer says they are waiting for Athom to fix a “thing” and its been waiting over a year now

From a user point of view, the app store should time stamp updates for all apps, and make release/change notes mandatory.

How can they promote LED Ring collection when it isn’t even compatible with 2.0?

2 Likes

Just a matter of what u wanna read @Xtasy

And the developer just made the led ring collection app compatible with 2.0, just waiting approval. Cheers @OpenMind_NL!

4 Likes

Good way for Athom to “persuade” developers to move their app to v2: publish it in a top 5 and sit back to see the developer get flooded with reports that their app isn’t v2-compatible :expressionless:

5 Likes

I fully agree with what you wrote. Extreme appreciation for @TedTolboom even thou I’m not that dependent on his apps like you are (I posses only one remotec device) I can imagine how big impact his apps have on the prospective and current user base of Homey. I must say that my paranoia is keeping me from using more community developed apps but if I give in it will most likely be Xiaomi and I would definitely accept paying some amount for the app itself.

@Bram Are you a bit afraid of @TedTolboom. :grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

Since all community apps are open source, you can fork the respective repositories and update them regularly. In the case where a developer decides to remove their apps from the app store (although personally, I think that Athom should never accept any requests from developers to remove their apps from the app store; the app was published by the developer with an open source licence that allows Athom to keep publishing it), you will at least have the opportunity to sideload the app using the command line installation tool.

1 Like

But then again if you don’t know how to update the respective repositories you will have to rely on another dev. Its an endless circle.

Agreed, it’s not a simple solution :frowning:

You can always ask another developer to adopt the poorly orphaned app :wink:

Yesterday I made a fix for using IKEA rgb bulbs in the Hue app (made by Athom), after creating the pull request I was presented a legal agreement what I need a lawyer for to understand. A developer Code of Conduct would be ok to sign, but this is quite some strange appreciation from Athom if you ask me…

I sometimes get the feeling that Athom considers community developers to be an adversarial bunch that they, and the users, need to be protected from :frowning:

Before that also this ball is being pushed the wrong way.

Athom is forced to take this route, because of real legality reasons they had in the past.
Even some community developers needed to add a license to their own open source app for this same reason.

But if you don’t like it, you don’t have to sign off course.

To add on that: There have been some devs in the past, before this was in place, who deleted their repo’s and forced Athom to pull the apps from the store so people were left with less functionality… So I have no problem with it… Other agreements with Athom are possible but for that you have to contact them…