Homey Community Forum

How to extend my Zigbee mesh ? Via Aqara Hub M2?

Hi

I have my Homey inhouse with mainly Aqara sensors and Hue lamps. Working like a charm. I also have some Aqara sensors and plugs in the garden / poolhouse / greenhouse, but I often have connectivity issues to those outdoor sensors.

I hoped my plug (which is of course powered and could be reached by Homey) would help to extend my Zigbee mesh for the sensors, but no luck.

I’ve now added an Aqara M2 Hub in the poolhouse, paired all my sensors without hassle, but this hub can’t be linked to my Homey, and the sensors are (of course) also not reachable anymore by Homey (since paired with the Aqara Hub).

Re-starting Homey to build the mesh network again also didn’t solve it.

What else could I do ?

Can the Aqara Hub M2 be put in some sort of repeater modus ?
Or should adding an additional Homey in the poolhouse be more of a solution ?

any advice appreciated !

You can only use the Xiaomi Mi gateway (chinese version, DGNWG02LM) with Homey. I use two in my setup, works like a charm.

Don’t know where u live, but in the Netherlands there are many second hand sellers. U can’t find it new.

Edit: I see you have a Dutch name ;). So Marktplaats!

I shouldn’t go for an second Homey. It’s not necessary and you cant connect them together, so you will have 2 separate smart networks.

Do a few tradfri smartplugs between Homey and the poolhouse make sense? If possible (outside is a bit tricky maybe). IDK the distance between Homey and the poolhouse.

If you can’t improve Zigbee coverage by putting some more routers between your Homey and your outdoors, I can really recommend @UA84’s solution. I use the same Xiaomi Gateway (mind the modelnumber!) for my dowstairs storeroom a few stocks below in my apartmentbuildings cellar.
I couldn’ t reach it by Zigbee or any other protocol handled by Homey.
So I created a (wired and wireless) network there by 2 Powerline adapters and integrated the mentioned Xiaomi Gateway in my home netowork that way.
I suppose you already have a network connection there, since you use an Aqara Hub.

I bought my Xiaomi Gateway on Marktplaats.nl for only 15 euro incl shipment. Make sure you have/get an adapter for a Chinese to European outlet too(!).

All devices registered to the Xiaomi Mi Home account/app, can be imported in Homey too then.
There’s an app for it in the official Homey Store ànd in the Community App Store. The latter has some more devices which can be added and it let"s you add the Gayteway itself too for some extra options.

I notice hardly any differences in how fast devices respond, whether they are connected to Homey directly or through the Xiaomi Gateway.
Mind that you won’t further enhance your (Homey) Zigbee network this way. You simply create a second Zigbee network.

https://store.homey.community/app/com.maxmudjon.mihomey
Or: