How to power Fibaro Implant using 220V

Hi there,

I want to measure the temperature in my sauna. To do that I want to use a Fibaro Implant with a temp-sensor (also Fibaro). I have seen the schemes how to install both, but I miss 1 thing: I need to power the Implant, but it is running on low voltage (9-30). I have 220v available.

Q: Can I just connect one of the options below? So just transform from 220V - 12V?

So Connect 220V to input side of solution below and conect output side to Fibaro Implant ?

Or is this solution too simple…

Is it something like this: Conrad Components Netvoedingsmodule Module Ingangsspanning (bereik): 230 V/AC (max.) Uitgangsspanning (bereik): 12 V/DC | Conrad.nl

Or this https://www.allekabels.nl/verlichting-transformator/1024/1282073/transformator-led-verlichting.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwtJ2FBhAuEiwAIKu19qJfdwtB1Us_ObK8jOqFWS4r78tUKHfi_925sC1I42P4chqJIqtqmhoCGCYQAvD_BwE

Thx upfront for any response or ideas.

Michel

Not too simple, you can do it like that.
The second one is cheaper and, more important, it can source 500 mA (Conrad only 85mA).
But why don’t you use a Zigbee Aqara temperature and humidity sensor?

1 Like

Because that’s not waterproof?

@JPe4619 Thx for this swift and positive response and tip!

Regarding your suggestion: Is it capable to measure temperatures of 90 degrees and above? If I read the specs it isn’t. I used the Fibaro multi sensor and it melted (mainly the plastic) :-(. So I need a temp-device that can measure up to 100 Degrees and above (to be sure).

@DidierVU Heat will be the biggest issue. Thx anyway.

I will try this solution and let you know if it worked OK! Thx again!

@JPe4619 @DidierVU @Michel_Bos
The Aqara can handle 100% humidity, so that has to go right.
But, the temp range is -20 - +60°C. Inside a sauna it can get hotter than that. I don’t think it breaks down at 90°C, but the measured temp stops being updated at 60°C.

Thanks all, that answers my question.

1 Like

I’m wondering about:

Do you mean this one? Because I don’t know any other ts from Fibaro (btw, it’s a normal DS18B20 sensor).

https://shop.zwave.eu/products/sensors/other/94/fibaro-temperaturesensor?c=18

If so, how will you manage that the sensor is inside the sauna and the smart implant is outside the sauna?

This online shop (sorry, only in German language) has several wired temperature sensors, also a DS18B20 (Dallas) sensor. You can choose the wire material (e.g. silicon), the sensor type (Dallas DS18B20), the wire length and the length of the sleeve.
They have also 2 and 3 wire analog temperature sensors, but I’m not firm with this.

Another suggestion: It is not Z-Wave but Wifi, but I can recommend you the BleBox temperature sensor because it fulfills the the temperature range and it works out of the box:

The sensor has a working range of -55 to +125 degrees Celsius. The cable has a length of 1 meter. The electrical supply is via USB power supply. As with the Smart Implant, the control unit must of course be placed outside the sauna.

Btw, BleBox has a sauna control box, but sadly it’s not supported by the Homey BleBox app.

1 Like

Yes u can. I use something like this with this.
The last parts i bought at aunt Ali.
They also sell the sensor with a range from -55 ~ + 125 °

Upfront: thx everyone for contributing and thinking with me. Appreciate it!

@DirkG I will use this one FIBARO Temperatuur Sensor Ds18b20WTP | We ❤️ Smart! | ROBBshop. I can connect it to the Implant. Schemes are available for a pair of them. I will only use 1.

I will make a small hole in the sauna thru which I will enter the sensor. Maybe it will fit in the whole I already have for the wire of my lamp inside. The rest I will hide under the ‘hood’ of the roof.

I have looked at your suggestion for the Blebox tempSensor. It might work I think. Have to charge it via USB. This makes it a little bit more complicated to install and make it operational. The other thing is that the sensor itself is more expensive. So I will stick to my first solution. Do appreciate your suggestions and will browse around in the online shop for other stuff. Thx!

@Rocodamelshekima Thx also for your suggestions and links. Our aunty Ali is really cheap :-). Since I am anxious to have it up and running soon, I invested some extra euros to buy it ‘locally’. These were the cheap parts of the solution anyway.

Again, thx all for your support!

1 Like

Ok, I guess the “Fibaro” temp sensor is similar like the BleBox temp sensor.
The advantage of the mentioned german online shop (or also other shops), you can customize the sensor, e.g. the length and the wire material.

But I guess the “Fibaro” sensor will definitely work with the smart implant and you can use a transformer like you mentioned in the opening post.

@DirkG I may need a longer one than the one I now ordered, so good to know! :facepunch: Thx.

The only thing you have to ask the seller before, is the IP classification of the protection class of the sensor and maybe the wire material.
The linked store classifies the sensors with IP20, so not waterproof. But I suppose that this classification refers only to the blank connectors and not to the sensor and the cable material (I would strongly suggest silicone).
So because the connection is outside the sauna, it should not be a problem.

1 Like

Hallo why you dont think out of the box.

1: What do you whish of your sensor.

2: whish you read all temp?

3: Or do Which a critical temp to now it to High temp?
Of its nr:3 you can use a old fasion termostat whit gas senor whish only on / OFF switch

In your saunabox the Electrican box have a old metallsensor whish gas in a small tube to registret to High temp.

Of you buy a old On/Switch and the you use your Fibaro wire output to the Old On / OFF Switch, so your Homey now when the temp is to high.
Good Luck

Maybe this termostat

You can see Where the sauna
Original temp-sensor its place.

And do not have no Cable on the inside Top of sauna Roof. It the High temp up and not so High on the downside. Why not Ask a certifiering Elecrican he now how to do in your sauna. :hugs:

@Willard

Hi willard. Thx for responding. The topic was intended to get info on how to power my Fibaro implant. :slight_smile:

Ik have already installed it and it works. Will use it with flows this afternoon. It will then remind me via Homey (or Google TTS), that it’s almost time to go into the sauna, for the heat has risen to a 75 degrees level :-), and many other useful flows.

FYI: The heat in my sauna is via ‘burning wood’, so no electricity needed, or I misunderstood your suggested solution. Thanks anyways!