Howto play spotify to chromecast audio

Can anyone explain to me how to get this done?

I have a Denon 2313 with a chromecast connected. I’ve tried many things but no results.
Keeps saying media request time out…

Thanks,

Martijn

1 Like

Spotify for Sonos App is not currently working well (or at all - for me at least) - I think you will struggle with this. I was able to get Google Play Music working without issue and casting to various Chromecast devices around my home. This post will show some details on using Google Play Music with Chromecast.

Hmmm… I just ordered my Homey kit… I must say with all the nice integrations like KNX (which is my houses backbone) i did expect Chromecast Audio + spotify integration.

Will this be created in the future? Do you know if anyone is working on it?

I guess because Spotify will not play on Chromecast native this is not possible. You need to play Spotify from your mobile to stream the output to your Chromecast.
Therefore homey can only manage Spotify on Spotify connected devices.
This is where Athom was bound by the big players

Hi,

Did you ever manage to get this working?
Maybe it helps if you know how the Chromecast apps work for your troubleshooting. When the chromecast boots, it really can’t do anything. It needs to download a small app on itself. (in your case the Spotify app). When you connect Spotify with your phone, tablet, desktop application or even the website, it sends a small message to the Chromecast to download the Spotify app to it.
Once it has done this, The Spotify application on your phone (or whatever) will be kind of a remote control. It will only send a message to the Spotify app on the Chromecast to ‘start playing this song, playlist, etc’ or ‘fast-foward to this point in time on the song’.

(so in practice, your phone becomes a ‘Spotify controller’ and the Chromecast becomes a ‘Spotify Player’)

Your phone doesn’t directly stream music towards the Chromecast. The Chromecast basically makes it’s own connection towards Spotify. So once you start a play list, you could basically power off your phone and the Chromecast will simply continue to play until it reaches the end of the song or play list (depending on how the phone app sends it’s message to the Chromecast app).

The same goes for video-streaming apps on the regular Chromecasts.

For this whole mechanism to work, your phone needs to be in the same network as the Chromecast. I haven’t used Homey with my Chromecasts (don’t have a use case for it that I could find) but depending on how Homey tries to find your Chromecast it needs to be in the same network too.

What you could TRY to do, is the following. Start the Spotify app on your Phone and have it play via your Chromecast. So that the Spotify app is actually running on your Chromecast. Then try to use Homey to connect to that running app. If both Spotify and Athom have done their work properly AND there are no limitations between your Homey and your Chromecast (firewalls or whatever) then Homey should be able to connect to it.

1 Like

What you could TRY to do, is the following. Start the Spotify app on your Phone and have it play via your Chromecast. So that the Spotify app is actually running on your Chromecast. Then try to use Homey to connect to that running app. If both Spotify and Athom have done their work properly AND there are no limitations between your Homey and your Chromecast (firewalls or whatever) then Homey should be able to connect to it.

Yeah, I tried this - no, doesn’t work :frowning:

I’m using the latest version of Homey and Spotify v4.0.7 is installed. I have tried getting my Harman Kardon Citation One to work in flows but no go.

My units are showing (2 HK Citation One, Chromecast [gen1] and GHM) but when I push either Citation to play I just get the error message shown below. Very frustrating. Especially since Homey is marketed as:

All your music in one place
Homey plays your favorite music to any speaker. Automatically start playback with Flow.
Stream from Spotify, SoundCloud and Google Play Music to Sonos, Denon Heos, Chromecast, and many more.

I find the marketing text a bit confusing as well. As for now the only way I have succeeded with chromecast is playing through YouTube. Not optimal at all.

Athom should either change their marketing or make spotify or any other streaming service available.

1 Like

Where is their marketing still spotify over chromecast?

Long, long time ago, i can still remember, Athom’s music-part made me smile.
They were young, they ran free and then in 2017 came Spotify’s API
That made them shiver with all the news they had to deliver
Bad news on the doorstep, finally they couldn’t take one more step

And we said hey, is this our problem? Is this our fault?
But If that’s the way it’s going to be they had to call the whole thing to a halt

So unfortunately, as for now no spotify on chromecast…

Musconv tool can help you to migrate palylist to others. Just try it once. Thanks

There is a solution to help you cast Spotify to Chromecast. It is to connect Spotify with Google Chromecast and stream Spotify to Chromecast if you have a Premium subscription of Spotify.

One is to connect Spotify with Google Chromecast and stream Spotify to Chromecast if you have a Premium subscription of Spotify

The point is that it doesn’t work via a flow (it works fine by running the Spotify app on your phone and then choosing to use your Chromecast device as a speaker)…

I am considering buying a homey, but is it or is it not possible to play music from Spotify (playlists, songs, artists) to a Google home mini or Google home hub ?

And if not what can we do to make this happen? Is this a Spotify issue? Is there a feature request we can vote on?

In the Spotify action tab you can choose between:

My GH mini has these actions to choose from:

Not sure about the blame game… :slight_smile:

Sonos works better. But since I don’t have Sonos anymore I can’t comment about its present capabilities.

My amp with Spotify connect has better options:

I’m having the idee that the issue is between Google home mini and Spotify. But Homey should confirm that. If they would make a feature request I guess a lot of people from the homey community would invite it…

Is there a way around it? Technically speaking you can cast any audio to a Google home. Technically the homey should be able to open Spotify itself and cast that audio to a speaker, right?

I’d like to know how to cast anything other than Youtube videos or mp3 links to a Google Home. Neither TuneIn stations or Spotify links seem to work in my Flows.
Granted the TuneIn card at least shows up, but doesn’t start playing.

you have to download the songs and then convert them into the right format, you have to sownload a converting tool like AMusicSoft Spotify Music Converter to do the converting process.

I have Denon HEOS and Spotify installed and the only options I have are Next Track, Pause Everywhere and Previous Track. No idea what I’m doing wrong.

nevermind