Homey Community Forum

[IN DEVELOPMENT] Homey DLNA

official

Currently, I am developing a new app that adds support for DLNA certified devices. The first alpha version will have support for streaming music/video/photo to a paired device.

At the moment I am working on the foundation of this app but I am hoping to deliver a first alpha version soon. If someone is interested in doing some testing once this alpha version is released please let me know.

Warm regards,

Jeroen van Reenen

9 Likes

Issues with HEOS Beta app
Undok Radio Device

Progress v0.0.1 alpha:

Discovery
Pair device with homey
Play audio/video/picture on device
Send DIDL-lite metadata
Homey action cards
Implement connection manager
Implement http proxy to add response headers
Cleanup code
Test and fix bugs
Ship alpha release

0 Likes

[RESERVED for future use 2]

0 Likes

How should I see this app working?
You can tell homey to start a video from a DNA-device you first added to Homey?

0 Likes

On its first iteration it should allow you to cast a picture/video/music file to a device. The action card needs a URL containing the file you want to cast.

Later I want to extend it with

• browsing a media server
  • volume control
  • triggers if a device starts/stops playing something
    etc…

I am open for any suggestion, although I cannot guarantee it will end up in this app :wink:

1 Like

Super! :+1:

Actually I never understood why this is not core functionality of Homey.

Would it also be possible to sream audio from a youtube channel to my sonos? :kissing_heart:

1 Like

@Gruijter Maybe if you combine it with https://apps.athom.com/app/com.youtube I will see what I can do.

1 Like

Very close to release an alpha version, hopefully today.

2 Likes

I’m intrigued by your app, is there any chance you could give us an example or two on how this could be used?

0 Likes

In the first iteration you can think of cases like:

• Your doorbell application detects the doorbell is pressed grabs the picture and this app can cast it to a paired TV
  • A podcast application reports that there is a new episode of your favorite podcast, this application can cast it to a paired speaker.
  • A video streaming app reports a new video is available, this application can cast it to a paired TV.

Any app that can provide this app a url to a photo/video/audio file can be combined with paired devices, off course the device must have support for the media file encoding.

In later iterations I plan to implement

• Browse DLNA media servers and cast content to a paired device.
  • Trigger cards when a paired device starts playing new content.
  • Control volume of paired devices.

I am open for suggestions, although no guarantee it will end up in this app :wink:

3 Likes

Taking a bit longer I decided to implement DIDL-lite metadata in this first iteration to better support some devices that need this information to play a media file. Being lazy and not implementing this now would reduce the number of supported devices.

1 Like

A pre-alpha release can be installed using cli install

Known issues

• Philips TV isn’t working, probably due to a missing implementation of the connection manager. Probably more devices are facing the same problem.
  • Volume isn’t implemented
  • Device discovery might take several minutes
  • There is no validation (yet) on supported content types on a device, offering an unsupported content type might cause unexpected behavior.
  • If a paired device isn’t yet discovered triggering a flow action will crash the app

WARNING

This application is far from stable state, you probably have to re-pair devices on every version update.

Bug reporting
If you want to help testing please report found bugs here. Please be as detailed as possible while reporting a bug, this helps on solving them :wink:

Thanks!

1 Like

Seems that a few TV’s don’t like to serve external streams that doesn’t provide a Content-Length in their response header. Will do some experiments with a simple proxy implementation that does provide this. Scope is increasing by the day :wink: But its for a good cause.

1 Like

Don’t know much about DLNA, more than my (old) receiver’s got the function. Is/will it be possible to turn the receiver on with a card in this app, or does it have to be on to be able to stream media?

0 Likes

@jreenen

Any news?

0 Likes

@jreenen Does this mean i control my Heos speaker with homey to play a spotify playlist? Because Homey Athom abaddon the official app Heos AP since 2017.

Like this idea?

0 Likes

No, Spotify over dlna will not be possible. dlna only does mp3, wav etc… No closed protocols like Spotify…

0 Likes

Dammit, back to asking Homey to proper update the Heos app. Thanks @bvdbos for explaining

1 Like

@Tolga @all Since moving to a new house took some more time than I was expecting and the fact that I needed to (partially) rewrite the Harmony Hub app this app wasn’t actively worked on. I am planning to pick this up by the end of this week.

0 Likes

@jreenen,

Hi, no stress, big thanks for your HARD work and take your time!

0 Likes