Keep losing Wifi? “ Homey is offline”

Hi!
I’m having some more issues with my Homey. I have gotten a new PSU, so it stopped rebooting, but I’m having issues with wifi-dropouts. I need to unplug and reboot the Homey to get wifi again, it doesn’t seem to reconnect itself.

I never have any issues with other devices on the network. I currently have 3 Google pucks in a tiny apartment, all wired up and giving a stable 500mbit connection. (I have 600mbit Internet so it’s almost full bandwidth).
One of the pucks is even right next to the Homey, so it should have more than enough signal. But once in a while it’ll just drop out.

I’ve tried to get rid of as many apps as possible, and I have as few devices possible connected to Homey, to keep it stable. I now have maybe 10 devices and 3-4 active apps.

It kinda beats the purpose of the central, but I can’t get it to work stable with a lot of different protocols active etc.

I’m on V7.1.

Is the Pro the way to go (skeptical about continuous wifi issues).
Mine isn’t that old, but says “early 2016”. I don’t remember exactly when I got it to be honest.

I use Google Home for most stuff on the Homey, not that many automated flows, so when it loses wifi, I cannot turn on lights with Google, it just says “Homey is not available”, which then means my thermostats and lights.

Homey is very sensitive to certain WiFi features, like 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks combined under a single SSID and things like band steering. It seems to be one of the very few devices that has such big issues, even $2 microcontrollers with built-in WiFi perform better.

However, I think that the Google WiFi devices are very limited in terms of what you can configure on them, which makes solving your problem (or at least trying to find out what’s causing the issues) very difficult.

I believe that between “early 2016” and now, Homey got a different WiFi chip, which may mitigate your problems, but that’s looking at coffee grounds (to paraphrase a Dutch saying…).

Apart from Google wifi, an other issue can be the ‘too much used up RAM’ issue.

I’ll see if I can find any RAM issue. It’s using almost half the RAM after boot, so there could be an issue.

I have no issues whatsoever with any other devices on my network.

Are there any replacement programs for the old Homeys if there is really a problem with the wifi chip?

It seems to happen more often now than before, but it’s always been unstable.

1 Like

In addition to @robertklep, if you have one SSD for both bands (I have that setup), then you could try to find an option in the router to reject a specific device for one of the bands. I have a ASUS router and this option exists in the WiFi settings. This way i have rejected my Homey Pro to de 5GHZ band

Turn of band push that seems to be the problem with you’re WiFi .

Seems to push homes towards a 5ghz connection by disconnecting it from 2.4
The option is called by many names by different brands but just review all options on youre WiFi settings and look them up if you don’t know what they mean.

The disconnect mem issue is a myth and isn’t a problem anymore on current firmwares.
Cloud disconnects hardly happen since that’s what the mem issue did in the past. But local on WiFi would still work .

Hehehe, I’ve experienced the myth myself on v6. What I didn’t try, was to disable internet and try to connect locally when my Homey isn’t reachable.
Crazy stuff…

I’ve ordered the Homey Pro to see if it behaves better.

Homey support reckon that a software repair is the way to go, and that it has to be shipped to them to do this.
Has anyone else done this? What exactly is the software repair procedure?

Hi Glenn,

I am afraid this software repair can only be done at our office. It will completely flash and replace Homeys firmware and will also include testing by us on various networks.

Best Regards,

XXX

The Athom support team.

It will cost nearly 50% of what I initially paid for the device to ship it back and forth.

I’m really not happy about this. Why can’t this be done remotely ?!

I guess Athom don’t have a way of pushing a custom firmware to a particular device.

It’s one of the major downsides of having an all-in-one black box device like Homey: there is no way of debugging/fixing these issues yourself, or to swap out misbehaving hardware. You’re completely dependent on the manufacturer.

A software repair is a deep clean of all Homeys software. With a regular reset of firmware flash remainders of old software can still be found, with a software repair it as clean as when it leaves the factory.

Does this mean there could be personal data on a device if sold then?

I don’t like this. Very strange!

So a “release candidate” isn’t really a release candidate, “semantic versioning” isn’t really semantic versioning, “limitless” isn’t really limitless, and now a “factory reset” isn’t really a factory reset.

It’s starting to become difficult to keep track of Athom-speak…

2 Likes

Well, I suppose Atom says that Factory reset means you need to send it to the factory to reset it. So the thing putting it upside down is probably a called Home reset. :wink:

:flushed:

1 Like

No, that’s called a “full factory reset”. I guess that sending it back allows Athom to perform a “real full factory reset”… :roll_eyes:

“We know what users want”
FB_IMG_1604836884241~01

1 Like