LG WebOS better integration

Hi

There is already a LG WebOS app available but it hasn’t been updated in a long time and it doesn’t work reliable. LG WebOS offers a lot more features like directly selecting the channel, showing you what is being played, the state of the current TV like “off” or “playing”. All of this can be done directly through WebOS without the IR remote feature.

Would be great if we could get a better integration with the LG Tvs as it would allow us a lot of more automations. :slight_smile:

Here is the integration of LG WebOS for Home Assistant, maybe the code can be helpful for this:

5 Likes

Thanks for this message. Lg webos app is really not working. I had it with homebridge like a year ago, even then it was great. I really hope athom can improve their own app or perhaps someone else can develop a better one.

1 Like

Hey.
I previously asked the support service a question about WEBOS, why I can’t get real TV status when there are plugins for homebridge, Domoticz and other smart home systems. Without understanding the essence of the question, namely what the working examples cited with reference to the homebridge plugin, they answered: “Since this is an integration of Homekit, you can contact the developer of this relevant application.” There was such a feeling that to increase sales of homey, they stuffed appstore with half-working applications and simply threw them away, but they are not going to update and modify the product that they themselves have placed in the store. However, the main thing in this case is marketing, and with how many devices HOMEY can work with, but it doesn’t matter how it works. I honestly do not even hope that you can expect anything in terms of updates to this plugin, with such success you will learn to write these plugins faster and the benefit is a lot of working examples in other systems that can be taken as a basis.

hi there,

Thanks for the reply. I will email them as well to see what they say. But as it is the WebOS app is useless. It actually doesn’t work often. So it is a shame.

Thanks

Gunay

Changes as I understand it on WEBOS not to be expected? It’s a shame that they’re not even trying to do anything.

unfortunately it’s not very high on Athom’s priority as I’d rather they finish the zigbee rewrite first.

I can only hope someone with programming knowledge picks this up and code something better…

Hmm … I understand that the priority of WEBOS is not important, it is more important to engage in ATHOH decorating the Homey application and the ability to share Flow))), rather than correctly working applications and plugins. for me, so the priority should be primarily to bring the plugins to perfect condition, and not what is now with a bunch of errors and shortcomings, and only then do all sorts of minor usefulnesses. It’s a shame that the employees of ATXOM just do not give a damn about such moments, they sold Homey, and then their problems aren’t any more. Wait for the update for another 5 years or are they waiting for someone to make their plug-in for them?
Here’s a letter from Athom on September 17, 2019: "I have been to Development today, and actually talked to a developer that is working on this exact app right now, to get all the bugs out and bring the functionality back.
I do not know how long he will need to finish this app, however we are working on it as we speak, and an update for this app will come! "

And after this letter, I don’t really believe that even next year they will update the plugin))) the company simply does not have any customer focus.

I am trying to develop a new WebOS app as I recently bought a Homey. I am completely ditching IR* and using WOL to also turn on the TV. This is all working for me, however, I cannot seem to figure out how to create the Flow triggers, the documentation is somewhat lacking for this. Any help is definitely welcome.

The Work in Progress code: https://github.com/MaxvandeLaar/homey-webos-plus
Note: it’s my first app, still figuring it out :wink:

*Maybe in the future create a switch in device settings to use IR or WOL to turn it on

8 Likes

Thank you for embarking on what Athom cannot do for two years now. I will try the plugin with github. Only I would like to warn you that in the end, if you manage to make the plug-in to the end, then Athom will not publish it with a probability of 99% in the store, with the wording that such a plug-in already exists. The same thing happened with Maxmudjon (here is an article about him on the forum), which made a plug-in for all Xiaomi products, which is developing dynamically and supports more than 60 different devices. When trying to post, they told him that there was a similar application and that was the end of all the conversations. And the fact that Athom chooses which applications to give users to use and which ones not, I think is not a very beautiful tone, the user himself must decide what he likes best and is suitable, and all unnecessary applications and plugins by themselves fall off over time due to unnecessary and lack of demand.

It would be possible to use the Athom code for the sample, but in the github repository they only had one application “LG TV IR”, the second “LG webos” was not. I can only assume that “LG webos” will no longer be supported by Athom, the application will survive until the next Homey update and then disappear.

Thank you for embarking on what Athom cannot do for two years now. I will try the plugin with github. Only I would like to warn you that in the end, if you manage to make the plug-in to the end, then Athom will not publish it with a probability of 99% in the store, with the wording that such a plug-in already exists. The same thing happened with Maxmudjon (here is an article about him on the forum), which made a plug-in for all Xiaomi products, which is developing dynamically and supports more than 60 different devices. When trying to post, they told him that there was a similar application and that was the end of all the conversations. And the fact that Athom chooses which applications to give users to use and which ones not, I think is not a very beautiful tone, the user himself must decide what he likes best and is suitable, and all unnecessary applications and plugins by themselves fall off over time due to unnecessary and lack of demand.

Thank you for trying to install it directly, please note: it is definitely still in alpha phase. I am running a slightly different version for a while now on my Homey and the on-off is somewhat reliable. I just can’t get my head around the trigger cards. Sadly, the developers community does not appear as strong here as I might have hoped (coming from OpenHab).

If it won’t be published, it won’t be a problem for me personally however, I would prefer the general audience could also enjoy it.

It would be possible to use the Athom code for the sample, but in the github repository they only had one application “LG TV IR”, the second “LG webos” was not. I can only assume that “LG webos” will no longer be supported by Athom, the application will survive until the next Homey update and then disappear

Yes, that is definitely my intention whenever I feel I should support the IR part. And I looked around for the webos repo, but I concluded the exact same… it’s no longer public. Maybe this will fix the ‘It won’t be published’ statement.

Thanks anyway for replying and trying it out. If you can help, feel free to do so, if not, that’s fine as well. You will probably come across some issues, so please create them in Github :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hopefully some developer can help out here. Been waiting so long for an LG webos app that works! Maybe they are on the #slack channel more…

Maybe try to ask this question in the “developers” part of the forum to get some more attention :wink:

New Beta by Athom:

This update should fix some instabilities and adds several new features such as:

• added media capabilities (play/pause, fast forward and rewind)
  • capabilities values now update when changed outside of Homey
  • new flow action card to launch apps on the TV

Delivered a beta version. Yes, new cards appeared, but the point of this is how to “expect milk from a goat.” The status of the TV when the TV is on varies in a chaotic order, then on and off when it is on. Thank you for correcting the status for two years when the TV is turned off, now it shows correctly. There is still no way to turn on TV over the network when the plug-in for homebridge learned to determine a clear status taking into account OLED matrices in pixel recovery mode. Very disappointed with this approach Athom.

Spoiler alert: beta 3.1.0 and stable 3.0.1 edit and stable 3.1.4 /edit versions:

Too bad it still doesn’t work as it should. When tv is turned on the status changes to off and back on every 2 minutes. In previous version at least turning on and off the tv worked, now turning on doesn’t work anymore and can only turn off the tv when homey thinks it is on (~50% chance the tv gets turned off, because of erratic behavior of status)

1 Like

A new beta 3.2.1 appeared, the statue of the TV seemed to show the real one. Like on OLED it shows a real shutdown ignoring the pixel resumption mode. If only the power button had been made not by IR, but by the network it would have been generally wonderful. Now you can use in flow it has become TV almost fully. The only thing that is sad is that there is no possibility of switching channels one by one, only creating a flow with an indication of each channel.

I can turn on the tv with 3.2.1 but status still keeps on changing.

A TV OLED? If so, then after turning off this TV, the pixel recovery function is turned on and formally the screen does not light up on the TV and it works and at that moment I turned it on too yesterday without any problems. But when the pixel recovery ends, it’s possible to turn on the TV if there is a bun next to it and only by IR

No too bad it’s not a oled…
I can turn the tv on.
But sometimes cannot turn it off, because when tv is on, the state in homey keeps on changing.
The tv is connected via network cable and I’m able to use the smart functions of the tv without any trouble (Netflix etc)