[HowTo] Location and Presence (Owntracks)

or „manual“ - it will be also automate update when you enter or leave a zone

Yes, I had it going for a year, worked really well, but again, against battery draining, I hade to find other solutions, now using tiles, until todays facial recognition app, will test that.

HI @scanno and thanks for this.

I’ve got a question: can you explain the path of the URL in HTTP mode? https://.connect.athom.com/api/app/nl.scanno.owntracks/events/?token=
Why is there “nl.scanno”?

nl.scanno.owntracks is the app-name. The connection goes through the athom cloud and needs to know what app on your homey the request be forwarded to.

You mean Location and Presence?

Yes. nl.scanno.owntracks is the internal name of Location and Presence

ok thanks!

Hi @scanno , thanks for this great app! I use the app together with my wife and works perfectly.
However this weekend i switched to a new phone. On the old phone i uninstalled the app.
But if i restart the Homey app or Homey it self, i get a message on the timeline about switching phones.
This message keeps getting back.
I use cloudmqtt as server.
Does the old device go away after a while?
Or how to fix that the message won’t appear every time?

Sounds like you have a retained message floating around. When you switched phone, you probably also have a new topic for that phone. The old topic still has the retained message and that message is processed each time when a client subscribes to that topic (since Location and Presence and the owntracks app subscribe using wildcards) that message gets processed again.

The only way to get rid of that retained message is to send an empty retained message to that topic.

If you do not know how to send such a message, you could try my MQTT Client app to make a flow that sends an empty retained message to that topic once and remove the app afterwards. Use the “send message (advanced)” card for that. There you can specify that the message should be a retained one.

I can’t send a empty message with a advanced flowcard in the MQTT client app.
Found a other solution: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mqtt-explorer/9pp8sfm082wd
With the app i can easy delete the second topic from my old phone.
Now the message is gone after i restart Owntracks.

Yeah MQTT Explorer is good for such things :slight_smile:

Yeah i keep that in mind , thanks :wink:

1 Like

i get an error : self signed certificate. i just followed the instructions what can i do wrong?

I had it working with HTTP, today I would make the next step, using MQTT.
Broker with the app from Menno on the Homey, Up and Running

Installation according to opening post, seems working, notification Android phone owntracks shows “configuration incomplete”.

Checking with status in owntracks app:

1. Configuration imcomplete - Endpoint state
  2. Not available - Endpoint state message

I’m stuck with possibilities, who has a clue?

Thanks for every reply.

I’ve managed all problems and it’s now up and running, changed it to the preferred MQTT server solution.

I just started to write a tutorial (dutch) to help others and my self in a future situation with lost knowledge.

Mine looks like this in the own track app android. What to be filled in?

Check this out: Lokatie & Aanwezigheid - Owntracks Installatie Instructie

Looks good , thanks for writing that :slight_smile:

Still have a major rewrite waiting to finish with a lot of improvements, but work, master study and family really taking all my time at the moment. Think i will drop one improvement (multipe devices assigned to one person) because that is holding things back because it needs a complete settings rewrite.

One major improvement i have is nested geofences and “friends” support for https connections. Hopefully i can find some time to finish it.

Thank! Look in your tuturial post for my comments.

Used L&P some 2years, but had to redo everything in a new house. Now IHave a weird problem.
Some flows are working, others don’t. It made me crazy, because it was al working before. After a close look I see something weird in flows.

this one works:

This one doesn’t:

The first one is an “old” flow. See the difference ; the “>” character!!!

Every time I make a new flow this “>” character isn’t inserted in the text of the flow and the flow doesn’t work. When I copy the old flow and change the users phone the character stays in the flow and it works.

Looks like I can’t create totally new flows that work.

Anyone a suggestion what is wrong here?

Thanks in advance.