Make existing PIR smart

Hi,
I’m currently using this Motion sensor outside:
PIR
I’m looking for the possibilities to make this dumb sensor smart, but I can’t find any suitable device.
I prefer Zigbee! Can anyone send me in the right direction?

1 Like

It depends on what’s inside. If it has a relay, you could use an Aqara door/window sensor, remove the reed (magnetic) switch that’s inside, and connect it to the relay. Or buy an Aqara motion sensor, if you shield them against direct rain they work pretty well outside.

It doesn’t work with a relay, please find below wiringdiagram:

I’ve tried the Aqara Motion Sensor, and it was protected from rain, but it held for 2 weeks and died…unfortunatly…

Looks like you need a device that will allow a mains voltage on its switch contacts. I don’t know of any Zigbee devices that support that, offhand (I checked the Hue wall switch module and the Sonoff ZBMINI, which both don’t allow it). I made a dumb PIR sensor smart myself, but I used a Shelly 1, which supports this sort of setup (see also).

Bit far tetched, but how about a smart socket that measures power consumtion? Power gows up → motion detected?

Nice thought! But the thing is, there is no lamp attached, so no power consumption to measure… The motion sensor only needs to notify homey, so homey can start some flows…

Guess a aqara PIR also fits in that housing…
Also frrs you from the place where is 220volt.

Question: Why is it you want to make the existing one smart (as it will probably be a rather complex solution, and not replace it by e.g.

You will probably get a lot more control from it. If it’s about 220V, an adapter would fix that.

Hi Edwin,
You are totally right about that, and if there is no proper solution, I think I am going to buy the Hue sensor.
But it is a little bit the sport to make it work :wink:

Not sure if you’ve committed to a choice yet but if you got a common $2 relay that can trigger from a 220v input source then it would then let you control a low voltage trigger on a smart device…

If you did and you really wanted to use Zigbee as your connection (wifi is better though) I’d go buy a Sonoff ZBMINI , (flash it with Tasmota), then join the relay to the S1 and S2 pins on it… The ZBMini’s are extremely small and compact and also natively run on 220v-240V. It would tuck in behind your existing PIR sensor fairly well. Just need to weather proof it…

Normally I would recommend to throw away the old legacy PIR gear and start from scratch with a new smart PIR sensor but Ive found there isn’t much choice on the market when needing a proper heavy duty outdoor, UV resistant (and weather proof) PIR (like what you have) that’s smart and also natively runs on 220 to 240… You can add a low voltage adapter to some devices but the installation starts looking bulky.

Relay ………………… Maybe €2

Sonoff ZBMINI , around €10

Cheap upgrade …. Will also help strengthen and extend the range of your Zigbee network …

No, Ethernet is.

1 Like

I like your thinking. The ZBMINI is a good zigbee device. Can you please give me an example of the relay, because I can’t find any good one that cheap.
Thanks!

AC input relays aren’t commonly used as DC ones but the are plenty of SSR relays (solid state) that can handle it …

AU $2.88 10% Off | SSR-10AA SSR-25AA SSR-40AA 10A 25A 40A Solid State Relay Module 80-250V Input AC 24-380V AC Output High Quality

Also have screw terminals which should make the wiring easier. Also is similar dimensions to the ZBmini which should make it easier to pack into one weather proof box…

Thanks @Russell_S , I will take a look at it and will reply when I know more/make it work.

I used a Fibaro Smart Implant for 2 LED lights with PIR. As led’s, PIR module and Smart Implant all work on 12 V it was do-able (even for me). Had to change the wiring of the floodlights (extra wires for 12V becouse the implant had to be mounted outside the lamps) (I forgot the exact wiring, i’m afraid)
This is Z-wave and not Zigbee, though. And the module is reliable, but not cheap.
It works, and i get a notification from Homey when PIR is activated in my backyard.

I got the same sensor, and attached it to a fibaro 2x double module and connected the switching wire to S2.

I still use s1 and q1 for other lamps. Q2 is not connected

@Sjoerd_Keltjens, thanks for your solution.
Because I prefer Zigbee, and the Fibaro module is a little too pricy for me, I’ve orderded the ZBMINI and a cheap relay. I will test this once everything is received and post my findings here in a couple of weeks.

Maybe this is usefull for you, in combination with Homeyduino?

Reconnect the aquara sensor. The app got a update. I got same troubles.

I’m using the Steinel sensor IS 140-2 (54€), but it’s zwave…
It’s working fine.