[Modding] Homey Pro (Model Early 201x) Antenna modification

You mean since firmware 2.5.2? Didn’t noticed this before…

Your situation where Zigbee isn’t (fully) available until after about 20 minutes after a reboot isn’t unique, there are more people that have noticed this with recent firmwares.

EDIT: here’s an example: Ikea app cant add devices, error with exclamation mark

Are you sure you have the correct 2,4Ghz antenna for zigbee?

I have used this one…

Thanks!

Just a quick question: Could the power supply to the homey be of influence on the range of Wave/Zigbee/433/868?

Only in the sense that a bad power supply might influence the range. But using a 3A power supply instead of a 2A power supply won’t increase the range (transmission power is hard-limited).

How can you be sure which antenna is 868 MHz and which is 2,4 GHz? The only difference I can see is, one has a ‘gold’ connection point and the other is silver. Both look exactly the same (like I wanted) but I made a wrong decision with the type of marker (whiteboard makers ink easily disappear).

Left is gold and right is silver.

If you see a considerable drop in Zigbee/Z-Wave range, swap the antennas? Other than opening them up (which doesn’t seem possible), there’s no easy way to find out which is which (the active antenna element for 2.4Ghz should be shorter than for 868Mhz).

Yeah, tried the first one, but don’t have the idea it really helps. I’ll first solder the new connection points i’ve ordered, and will try swapping them… .thanks anyways.

Is there a way to see the range? It doens’t really matter if I swap antennas or anything. It seems.

Did the mod today but cant say I noticed that much difference in the Z-wave.
Does it take long for the Homey to “rebuild” the Z-wave mesh?

Ah thx. Is anybody using different power supplies?

A reasonable amount of people have run into problems with the original power supply and have swapped it out for a new one (with similar specs: 5V, 2A or more).

1 Like

You can pull the top end off just above the knee part (above the 2 round holes). Just pull & pry it carefully a bit in every direction while holding the base very firm and you will see it slowly comes off. Don’t pull too hard to prevent you tearing the inner part off.
For 868 there should be a coil or a piece of pcb with copper lanes on it. The WiFi usually has a metal tube, sometimes with a coil or extra piece on top.

1 Like

Did you order the ones mentioned in this topic? In the packaging with green elements on top bottom which include the cheap connectors?

Then they must be the same as I ordered. 2.4 ghz has a gold color, both 433 and 868 are metal colored.

Also when shaking the 433 you can hear the antenna coil. In the 868 and 2.4 you hear more of a PCB shaking inside.

1 Like

jeez guys, been trying to open up the top half of the dome, but no joy. It’s really glued tight and there is no wiggle room. Any tips?

Feels like I’m operating on a skull…

`Wiggle harder… nothing else to do… I disabled a IR led too during the wiggling… Now, i don’t use IR but it’s a pitty.

Yes I did, i’ll see if it works like this. Thanks!

So finished my mod and so far I am impressed and very happy with the result. Especially the Zwave improvement is significant. I’m almost not getting any transmission errors anymore and the thermostat in the attic is even connected directly now.

I had some trouble opening the homey, it was glued very tightly so had to use a thin saw to create a small line between de led ring and the top dome. Then gently pried it open. Did some cosmetic damage though.

Soldering the Zwave was easy, as connecting the Zigbee. I also removed the 433Mhz antenna, but then all is left is a hole, because I wanted to keep the original antenne just to be safe/sure. In the hole the solder needed to be removed before you can connect the very thin cable for the new antenna. Eventually I used a little piece of the original Zwave antenna as a filler for the hole. Then I soldered the wire to this little hook and but some shrink wire over it.

3 Likes

Hi guys,

After doing the MOD, my zigbee network is still very unstable…

I’m getting errors like this:

And this:

Does anybody know what this means?