Move from HC2 to Homey (Z-Wave)

Hello everyone,

Just wondering, I have about 36 Z-Wave (Fibaro) devices right now in my HC2 Fibaro controller. However, I want to move those to Homey.

Ofc I can exclude each device one by one and then include them back to homey. However, I read in a couple of places you can ‘shift’ from HC2 > Homey? Is this possible and if so, how? Thanks.

Not possible. You need to remove and include them.

Theoretically, it works.

You can bind homey to HC2 as a secondary contreller. At least you can find this function in Homey’s Z-Wave settings.
After that you have to do the transfer of the primary role to Homey

„HOW TO Honeywell

There can only be one primary controller that will include (add new devices) and exclude (remove existing devices) from the network. Multiple secondary controllers can be “included” into this same network. The secondary controllers may control the same devices and can be integrated into their own scenes, rules and scheduling. The first controller involved in a network is the primary by default. If another controller is added it can be setup as a secondary controller, or you can shift primary control over to the new controller.“

This doesnt work…

1. Click add Homey to another z-wave network under Settings > Z-Wave
  2. On the FIbaro HC2 choose ‘add secondary controller’

However when I do this on Homey it gives me a red error saying “request time out”

What is the distance between HC2 and Homey?

8 meters :stuck_out_tongue:

Try to move homey very closed (cm not meters) to the HC2

Same problem (they are now next to eachother…) does not work.
Looks like on the HC2 side you have to choose: :“transfer primary role” then it works however, how the hC2 keeps hanging on sending nodes.

All in all, this does not seem to work :disappointed:

Homey has no controller shift build in, neither it being a secundairy controller, they only can be included into another controller as that is mandatory by the z-wave alliance, but that is the only thing it can do, include and that’s it, it has no functionality past that.

Also don’t count on that being implemented soon, if ever.
Sorry.

Yeah, eventually I disassociated all devices one by one from the HC2 and re-added them to Homey. Works now, thanks.

Hello @mbnn,

I’m currently also using the HC2 and have been thinking about switching to “Homey” for quite some time.
The components and scenes I’m currently using should theoretically be 100% compatible and almost 100% convertible.
Which prevents me from switching to the “Homey” at the moment:
1.) Again and again complaints about the small range, especially with Z-Wave (should probably not be a problem with a reasonable mesh).
2.) Exclude and include all modules (is a necessity).
3.) No possibility to update the firmware of the modules.

Questions (possibly too early to really answer them):
1.) Can you already make a statement about point 1?
2.) Have you deinstalled all modules? Or did you go from module to module with an extension cable or a power bank with the “Homey”?
3.) How critical are you about point 3? Do you have a practicable solution?

I would be very pleased if you could briefly comment on this. Many thanks in advance!

Dirk

Have you ever thought about keeping the HC2 and using it as a secondary controller on your homey? In this case updates of the Fibaro devices via the HC2 should still be possible.

1. The small range, i havent seen that issue. I have z-wave devices (Fibaro) across my entire house and they are all added without problems,
  2. I have simply disassociated them all from HC2 and then added them in Homey one by one,
  3. Noop, not by default, but then again… usually if it works it’s fine.
1 Like

It is a really expensive way only to update the firmware.
Should the update work with the Z-Wave.me USB stick?

1 Like

Thank you for your quick reply!

Without disassembling the modules? Also battery-powered modules?

I thought you already own a HC2?

Not fore Fibaro Devices, because Fibaro don’t provide the update. So you can only update Fibaro Devices with a HC2 or HCL.

1 Like

I own an HC2, of course. But I would have sold it.

Ok, thank you for this information. I guess I’ll keep my HC2 then.

I moved from HC2 after 4 years of completely automated home. Dont regret it. Here are some information to your concerns:

Which prevents me from switching to the “Homey” at the moment:
1.) Again and again complaints about the small range, especially with Z-Wave (should probably not be a problem with a reasonable mesh).

I didn’t have problem of reaching devices, however most of devices used mesh intensively. After antenna mod, it was improved significantly (direct connections to Homey. Its hard to compare it with Fibaro, because Fibaro is not offering you view on the mesh and devices like Homey does.

Exclude and include all modules (is a necessity).

Yes, but if you switch to new system, than its good to make clean install and do everything from scratch in my opinion.

No possibility to update the firmware of the modules.

Honestly, why do you need it, if module works as expected?

Can you already make a statement about point 1?

Already mentioned above

Have you deinstalled all modules? Or did you go from module to module with an extension cable or a power bank with the “Homey”?

Best way is to connect Homey to powerbank and include devices nearby. You don’t need to deinstall fibaro modules, you can triple press switch attached to the module without deinstallation for remove/inclusion process. You dont need to remove it from HC2 as well, just remove it in Homey during installation process and do factory reset to HC before you sell it.

How critical are you about point 3? Do you have a practicable solution?

If module works, I don’t see a reason to update it.

Good luck on switching to Homey :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Igy, thank you for the detailed information!

But I still have a last question for an experienced HC2 user: Is it possible to recreate more complex Lua scenes with the “Homey-Flows”?
As already written, I think it should be theoretically possible, but is it in reality?

It depends how complex the scene is. I was able to replace all scenes including LUA based. You have variables, logic, timers that can be used in Homey without need of programming. Just give some example of scene you would like to replicate in Homey and we will see :slight_smile: