My first experience and oppinion with 2.0

You’re very optimistic. Since the upgrade I see more and more bugs with apps. Like I said half of the functionality is already gone.

1 Like

with no desktop app or web if the internet goes down i have no way of controlling homey - this is it’s biggest selling point over smartthings IMO

1 Like

Why would you need a desktop or web app to control Homey if the internet goes down? The mobile app can control Homey over the local network in that situation.

1 Like

really? i tried last night (when my internet went down) it wouldn’t connect

If that’s the case, it’s worth mentioning to Athom (https://support.athom.com/hc/en-us/requests/new), because they have claimed that it should work locally when your internet connection is offline.

That’s strange @Dijker took the effort to do some testing with one of the Alpha releases:

He used version 2.0.0-rc7 and for him everything kept working.

Hi, as this is my first Homey into my existing smarthouse i do think there is Room for improvment.

I see / read that the IR functions has some issues.
My expirience is that IR is not working property.

I got the latest 2.0 firmware.
I see that there is a lot of apps that not are working.
Specialy the network apps. (Ping or device check).

I am not soure what the problem is, but i am not able to connect my Homey om Bluetooth.

My last “bad” experience. My Homey does stop prosessing the flows… I have to reboot it to get it back on track.
(And i have’nt found any auto-reboot, local flows to reboot, etc)

Som for the goddies…
It was easy to adopt it into domotics thru webhook/api.

The logic in flows its easy for human logic and use cases.

The app that Are working is working like a charm…

I see that the new pro is annouced.
I would prefered to get a stable firmware instead of a new product.

Tnx, Eddie

Bluetooth May be used for presents of devices in the house…

Nfc need to be close and Wi-Fi is to fare away.

Loads of issues with Fibaro RGBW controller. Not usable any more. I’ve bee adding, re-adding no difference. Just bad at my self as I believed in slogan - stable version. Again using only the phone for the setup is pain in the back side. Who cares…

Really - I think you must mean the other way around. It’s seems to me built entirely for tech-enthusiasts. It’s certainly not suitable for mainstream / family users.

2 Likes

Please take a look at the actual competition in the field before saying something like this.

Hardware/software that can do roughly the same as Homey are:
Domoticz: Here you have to install your own Raspberry Pi with their software, add Zwave, 433 MHz sticks, etc ports, install them all via command line interface on the RPi. Next to this (and correct me if I’m wrong here), Domoticz doesn’t automatically support something like Homey’s flows, but can only be observed/interacted with from a dashboard (which again, you have to build yourself).
Home Assistant: Here you again, have to flash your own RaspPi and add Zwave, 433 MHz and Zigbee if wanted. For configuring you have to write your own code (much like writing Homey’s apps), and settings need to be edited via command line interface.

Homey is absolutely the easiest amongst the home automation hubs you can have (which support multiple protocols and actual automation rather than a fancy remote). I agree with you that it’s not suitable for tech-impaired people, but it is much more accessible than other options out there.

1 Like

I have. In many respects Fibaro for example is far superior (reliability, built-in apps for heating, alarms, restricted user access, etc.). Sure the UI isn’t as pretty, but at least it works.

However, my observation has nothing to do with home automation competition - it’s relative to normal human beings at home that have some familiarity with consumer applications. Your reference to “tech-impaired people” made me belly laugh! - that is exactly the kind of attitude that allows such poor design to persist and keep products from being successful at scale.

2 Likes

Never looked into this one (assume you mean Fibaro Home Center?), but right of the bat I see that it has less options with respect to compatible devices (only internet and ZWave), and I don’t see a way to perform automation with it other than writing LUA scripts (automation, not control). (And it’s like 2x Homey’s price)

EDIT: Appears I’m wrong here, looks like you can do basic automation via ‘Magic scenes’

But that’s not a fair comparison. I’m very sure that nobody would say that dairy herding is a high-tech job, or only for the tech-enthousiasts, but you can make it much more technologically complex than the standard herder 10 years ago if you want to (http://www.scrdairy.com/).

Okay, instead of open source projects that are not the actual competition (because Homey isn’t open source, it’s a hardware platform running proprietary software), let’s look at an actual competitor:

$70, supports Zigbee and Z-Wave, has a nice-looking dashboard, has an automations UI, and has a well-enough API so that third-parties can provide a full browser-based automations interface too.

I`m actually thinking of buying Smarthings Hub, just for test, maybe indstead of Homey, who knows…

Same here, it’s cheap enough!

@robertklep

56,99 EUR At Amazon

Looking into this as well but you might want to go for a cheaper 2nd generation if you dont need wifi and the supposedly better range of the 3rd gen. The 3rd gen has a lower CPU of 500 MHz (vs 1 GHz for V2) and lower RAM is 256 MiB (vs 512 MiB for V2). According to Samsung this should not matter but I’m sure they thought the same thing at Athom at some point.

Smart things, wink, Vera, home center are the main competitors. Not home assistant or openhab.

Yes tempting.
You have to add shipping and vat to the pricepoint. Becausr it does not sell in europe.
Still tempting.
The common demeanor in the reviews is: not quite ready for primetime. Add that to the Samsung experience.
And yet still tempting, Just for fun.
But i can’t do it, then i have yet another piece of hardware laying around