Nest + Homey = Dead API by 31th August

But there isn’t any Google device that is capable of doing the same thing homey does. So they have to come up with such a thing quick to become master of domotica right?

Would buying a google home (mini) help? Tell Homey to the tell the google assistant to control the nest?

I just switched from an ICY thermostat to Nest, because ICY api support was deprecated by Essent, and turned into a paid service. The ICY was a really dumb smart thermostat, so I didn’t want to pay for it. I’d consider paying a small amount a month for Nest though.

How could tasks for iphone resolve the problem. I am interested.

Luckely for me I just bought 1 month ago the Nest thermostat instead of my Tado and a google home hub​:smile::smile:

But Nest works great, only the integration with homey and for me more important ifttt is gone. I hope there will be a solution, because I had made some buttons on my daughters iphone that could change the temperature in the morning for a given day

All they want is data. They sell hardware to support that demand. A homey type device is not in any intrest of Google thus it does not support an continues flow of data like Video (nest cam) or audo (google home) does. A central local hub that only connects all different devices does not generate any data Google can use for their algorithms.

Will burn my google assistant in protest, political statement! Will post the pictures later…

1 Like

You are obviously an , good luck with that!

Lets keep it friendly in here. You guys giving me a reason to close this topic and then it’s my fault aye?
Lets discuss the Nest thingie!

3 Likes

What I find most upsetting is that you buy a product, check it integrates well ‘officially’, and then invest in a few more. Then the manufacturer changes the capabilities of your product. This seems a highly questionable thing to do both morally and legally. They have taken away a feature that the product was actually chosen and purchased for.

This is an ominous concern for all cloud based devices and integrations. You’re not even safe with independent companies extolling openness, they get acquired and indoctrinated.

Local is good.

1 Like

I hope there will still be some form of intergration possible over time. I don’t know the full extend of works with assistant but I would expect it would be usable as some form of integration.

Hopefully Athom has some thoughts in this. Else it’s bye bye Google Nest.

We already had a guy here who wanted to destroy his Homey with a hammer and would show us the video. Nothing happend :grin: Just keep your Google device. It’s still work’s nice, with or without a connection to Homey.

Made a complaint at support@nest.com.

Thank you for contacting us Nest Chat Support.This is Adele I’m assisting today regarding your issues and concern.

I understand your concern, I would like to inform you that there is nothing to disappoint , as we do not have any clear information I suggest you to please wait for sometime you’ll get the updates…

If you’ve any other query please contact us on Phone (1‑855‑469‑6378). Click hereto contact via chat.

1 Like

Me too, I don’t expect anything out of it though. I wonder if there’ll be an alternative to the ’ works with nest’ api or whether it’s truly game over.

As for now I’ll create a few flows to detect “away” status using my unifi connection status.

The Nest app will stay working. I was thinking I had to install assistant on my iPhone (don’t want spyware on my phone as well)

Reading through this topic i am very confused. So Nest (Google) announces something and now a lot of people blame Athom for not solving this?

Also, if they kill the API for 3rd party access, will the devices stop working? Will the smoke detectors stop detecting smoke? Will the thermostat be useless? I can’t imagine that. It keeps doing the things you initially bought it for and ditching all this equipment is a bit strange, since it probably has cost you a lot of dineros.

So, yes, discussion about this is fine, but it has already become a “Bash Google” and “Blame Athom” topic.

I suppose i could start a discussion on the Peugeot forum blaming them not solving the problem that i am not allowed to drive my old car in some major cities anymore. But that would just be as useless as blaming Athom for a decision that Google makes.

In my case, it’s not the Nest home / away detection that I’n concerned about. That kinda works, albeit slowly. Homey knows I’m away when I’m 200 meters away from my house. It takes my Nest an hour to decide I’m really out of the house (and it sometime thinks I’m away when I’m at home too, probably because I’m less active than a sloth).

I use Homey to turn off my thermostat to save energy (and thus money) directly when no one is at home and I use my thermostat to only turn on the pump of the floorheating (don’t know it that’s a word) when the central heating is active. Sure, the Nest app will still work, but it’s less configurable than when using Homey (or Domoticz, or Home Assistant, or …)

But i assume Nest has it’s own app for controlling the devices? And i also assume that won’t cease to exist because that is not a 3rd party app, isn’t it?

I think if Google goes down that path, then a lot of people are indeed going to ditch the thermostat. And in the end that will not gain them any profit and renders the criticism about collecting data pointless.

Indeed their own app will get updated to keep working, which of course is much easier for themselves to do

I use the Homey for switching of the Nest when the garden-doors are open more than 2 minutes. I really dislike losing this.

It is just bad news

I would argue that in several categories Nest has fallen behind and there are plenty of alternatives. In particular there are good alternative thermostats and better cameras and door bells. I already had planned to switch from a Nest Thermostat to Tado and to use a combination of Netatmo Presence cameras and NetGear Arlo cameras. (I am waiting for the Netatmo Smart doorbell.) However I am bummed over my investment in Nest Protect devices. :unamused:

It does seem that in the smoke and CO category Nest still lead. I have however listed some of the potential alternatives below which perhaps with the assistance of the community could become workable solutions. Firstly a general comment. It seems that European manufacturers have taken the view that such devices should not be combination ones containing both smoke and CO sensors. I believe the argument is that a CO sensor should be located lower whilst a smoke sensor should be higher. US manufacturers however are responding to legislation requiring both sensors be fitted in a house and doing this in a combined unit to make things simpler and cheaper.

Netatmo - https://www.netatmo.com/en-gb/security/smoke-alarm
It supports Apple’s HomeKit but it is not clear if it supports other platforms. Their other products do support other platforms so they might be open to this.

EveHome - https://www.evehome.com/en/eve-smoke
Also supports Apple’s HomeKit. It seems it could be based on the same hardware as the Netatmo one. I am fairly confident this one however only supports HomeKit.

Fibaro - https://www.fibaro.com/en/products/smoke-sensor/
They seem to have some Australian resellers so it might be worth trying to contact them for info. It is available for Europe. Being Z-Wave it will work with Homey.

First Alert OneLink - https://onelink.firstalert.com/
First Alert have a number of very different models ranging from almost completely dumb to one with HomeKit, one with HomeKit and built-in Alexa microphone and even one with a built-in sound system. Being American it has both smoke and CO. They also have both battery only and wired with battery backup versions like Nest. Personally I regard their product line up as extremely confused but with some possibilities of becoming a worthy replacement for Nest Protect if only they would get their act together. A part from the confusing lineup, the poor information on their website there is the fact that it is not the most attractive design.

UPDATE: I am struggling to find the OneLink in the UK :worried:

I would therefore suggest someone needs to create an app to link Homey to OneLink.

PS. I am seeing (from Google) mixed information about whether a new API will be available. Even Apple who compared to Google and Amazon are privacy nuts provide an API (HomeKit) although they have a more stringent process. (Which no longer requires their special MFI chip.)