Nest + Homey = Dead API by 31th August

I got a quite decent reply from Nest:

Not sure if this will help us. I’d really hate to buy another thermostat again. Domotica is expensive as it is, and this would be my third thermostat in under six months.

Maybe you can sent this to Athom and see how they respond.

that looks a good idea to me

google assistant is (kinda) 1 direction only, from google home to homey, you can’t add devices like the nest that is then included in the assistant into homey for automation purposes, or any other device that is in your google home.

In my opinion you can sent commando’s to the assistent, so when you give a commando to the assistent to set the temp to 20 degrees the assistent will sent this command to the nest. The only problem is that you can not get info back from the nest because of the 1 way communication. you can only say things to the assistent but the assistent not talks back.

This is my idea

Now homey works with google natively. i wonder if this would be obsolete anyway

from today on google is able to see homey’s devices
only a matter of time before homey can see google’s.

Im in the UK.
I purchased nest because of it’s ‘works with nest’ capability.
Not only because it works with homey but other platforms such as ifttt and amazon echo.
I think this constitutes a massive change in it’s capability and for me it will no longer be fit for the purpose it was sold to me.
I am going to write to the uk consumer watchdog ‘which’ this weekend and find out where I stand with consumer law and try and pursue a refund of the nest.

1 Like

But that brings nothing if the Nest’s API is shut down and therefore Homey also can’t support the device anymore…

Sure, I would like that too, but I see as of now no option at all to send information to Google home, do you? It is all Google home that asks information from homey and that is it.

it ain’t august yet.

I know google is very fond of API’s and i would be surprised if they won’t create any to interact with smart home devices (eg google home devices)(eg Nest devices)

So you think that they announce the killing of the Nest API and then are going to create a new API to solve the problem?

That was the first thing I did after I received the e-mail from Nest support. Got an answer too. They’re finishing up on Google Home integration. I also suggested that in case (like @Caseda said) Google Home can only talk to Homey, maybe we can set variables from Nest via Google Home into Homey. Not ideal, but it would work (for me). For example, I only use the thermostat, but I could imagine that Google Home could set a variable for HVAC status, or location status , or temperature (every minute). Those variables can be used in flows.

It’s only guesswork as of yet, we don’t know what is going to happen with the successor of the Works with Nest api.

I’m a newbee in this world but this how i see it. I can talk to google home to set the temp to 20 degrees for example. Google want’s to create a platform where al the google devices conecte to eachother in an google olny world… In my opinion it must be possible to talk from outside to that platform (by a new API?) So you not talk to the Nest directly anymore but you heave to do everything through te assistent, the assistent will be the gateway to the google world in my opinion

Maybe i will see it completely wrong…

You are very right! And that¨s mye concern too! Google can throw money anyware at anyone. We bought a product with the knowledge that it supported 3rd party hardware/software! If you study the disclaimers you probably find the juridcal technicality that makes this possible. Though, it is bad business, already removed my Nests!

I agree completely with this. The reason I purchased Nest products was because they worked with IFTTT etc. Its completely changed the utility of the device and service.

For me; i have less avenues for complaint as I use Hydronic, live in Australia so i have to use a UK product. So cannot officially complain.

But I still spent big $$$$ on Nest product. Good luck with your letter…i hope it gets action.

I just contacted Nest Support (Dutch chat). First they offered to refund me (1,5 years old) then the guy had to tell me he made a mistake, this is only in the first 30 days. Next he told me he has good news, if you dont convert to a google account you will keep the Nest functions including the API and ‘Works with nest’.

Honestly I don’t believe this, but it doesn’t matter if Homey quits supporting the App…
What do you think?

We will see😜

Odd I read your account will automatically be converted …

Las het net. (Tijdelijk) goed nieuws?