Nest + Homey = Dead API by 31th August

mmmm strange… i have restarted my homey several times also disconnected it from the power outlet (connected the vacuum cleaner) several times before and this weekend?

For anyone who has new Nest products and is not able to control them with Homey, I found a workaround for the Nest Thermostat if you have Alexa.
Amazon Alexa has the exception in that it can still control Google Nest devices.
Another pro to Alexa (vs. Google Assistant) is that it can start a routine (“Alexa flow”) by switching a virtual switch.
However, since the Homey skill does not support the correct API’s for Alexa to see a virtual switch, you need to use a virtual switch in the smartthings app.
If you create a virtual switch in the smartthings app and control it with Homey via IFTTT, you can switch the Nest Thermostat to the desired temperature.
Note that you don’t need a Smartthings hub to create a virtual switch in the smartthings app!
(https://thesmartcave.com/smartthings-with-any-alexa-device/

The only downside is that you don’t have feedback on the room temperature or the thermostat setting after you changed it manually (or with Alexa). But I can live with that for now.

Got this mail today!

We wilden je op de hoogte stellen van belangrijke wijzigingen die we in de Nest-app aanbrengen om de beveiliging te verbeteren. Je moet je Nest-apps voor tv, telefoon en tablet bijwerken naar de nieuwste versie. Je moet vóór 2 januari 2020 updaten, anders kun je je niet aanmelden bij de app .

Something is cooking

Yeah, looks the kill switch for the nest api is almost done :thinking:

#sad

Hi Guys,
I had a power failure yesterday, now I have the exclamation marks and can’t reauthenticate.
The issue seems to be at the permission screen, Google are blocking that (I have had the same issue with other integrations)
I did find something interesting though, I created a new connection through HA-bridge without issue.
I had a look at how they were authenticating and they are just storing the credentials in variables.
They call the username and password as part of the API call and it gives them the key/token just fine.
If someone wanted to fork the GitHub repo for the Homey Nest app then I am sure we could so the same.
Skip the formal authentication hand off and just have variables stored in the app that get called to connect.
Might buy us some time and I suspect that we will all have this issue soon.

Great findings! Hope we can create an other way to connect.

Found this;

Using the same connection methods.

And this

Yes i’m the next victim… changed my internet provider today. got a new WAN - IP. Devices are not available and i cannot login in the app. when i try to login completly new there is an error.

i feel lonely now… nobody else with the same problem :slight_smile:

The rest already gave up, like me.
Athom killed the app 5 minutes after google announced the eol of the nest api.
So there will never be an update to fix this issue.

Still working here. Fingers crossed😬

I changed my wifi at home (new ssid and pass) but the camera’s are still available and active in homey (do have fixed ip for them, maybe a reason it still works?)

I just saw on the time line in the homey app that there was an update for the Nest app… So maybe the have found a way to repair the communication between homey and Nest???

aiii i’m a bit in a downwards spiral… removed the app and i cannot install it any more trough the strore…

It is no longer possible to pair Nest devices with Homey. Only devices added before the 31st of August, when the Nest Partner API was discontinued, will continue functioning. Therefore, this App is deprecated and can no longer receive support. Read more.

From the readme file from the latest update of the Nest app. So only for current users, that’s why the app isn’t in the App Store anymore most likely.

yes true but everything was paired before

I have read about others having the same issue on different platforms. It sounds like Google might be signing accounts out, once you have lost the auth on an app, you can’t get it back.

All of my IFTTT Nest flows were disconnected yesterday (and other people I know).
Google are signing people out of the old API, they are killing it slowly but surely.

Nest is writing on their website:

" We’ll also invite smart home developer enthusiasts to participate in our Device Access for Individuals sandbox, allowing you to directly control your own Nest devices for your private integrations and automations."

Is this something that can be worked with?!

Edit: https://developers.google.com/nest/device-access

Late 2020 it will be available. But homey users might have to register as developer to use this, if it ever comes to an app.

2 Likes