Homey Community Forum

Netgear Router App - Network control, Presence detection, Energy monitoring

hi Fabien, the netgears routers sometimes go into a weird state that can only be resolved with a ptp (power cycle) of the router itself. Did you already try that?

On another note: Behind the scenes I have been completely rewriting the Homey Netgear app. It brings an important new feature: a separate Homey device per device attached to your network. So phones can be added individually, and the presence detection can be much better optimised per device. It will also bring a very nice new function related to Homey V3 (I can tell more once Homey V3 is released)

1 Like

I thought i tried it, but i’ll try that when i get home. i’ll let you know!

And the behind the scenes note makes me and probably others curious :slight_smile: , can you (are you allowed to) give an estimate on the homey V3 release?

:soon::joy:

1 Like

I tried rebooting and it seemed to work for a bit With reporting device online offline but now the logs show the same 401 and other errors and the online offline feature does not work .

It does look like a bug in the router firmware, since after ptp it works for a short while. But if you create an issue on github, and include the test result from the compatibility test there, I can investigate some more.

Breaking news: A major app update is coming really :soon:

(no really, it’s breaking news :grimacing: )

2 Likes

OK Homey V3 is here!!! (for experimental users that is :partying_face: )

That means the Netgear V3 app has also been released just now as Beta.

The software code was for a large part rewritten from the ground up, and there is new functionality in there. So go ahead and test it IF YOU DARE! :woozy_face:

Actually, I have been using and testing it already for some weeks, and I’m very happy with the stability already. But let me know if you come across new issues.

ps. after updating to v3 you might want to rebuild some of your flows, since the presence detection has many improvements. But if you leave your flows untouched, most of them will continue to work as they did before.

2 Likes

Haha @Gruijter
Thanks for the spoiler earlier :wink:
Due to the App upgrade, I will also do a f/w upgrade. Homey App v3 is not available yet, but I guess it will be be soon :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your effort!

1 Like

Rebuild how?

E.g. add the smartphones you want to track for presence as separate attached devices, and build your flow triggers from these new devices.

1 Like

Can I update to the new version even if I am not on the new homey 3.0 beta?

nope, Homey v3+ is required

On my Android phone am I not able to add an device.
At the end the “opslaan” button is missing.
On my Ipad it is possible to add a device

can you create an issue on github with a screenshot from your android phone?

Alright :+1:

I just did.

I try to use this feature to check presence and leaving the home by the phones
Is it possible that a phone is suddenly not connected tot the router because of power saving of the phone? (Samsung S10)

Could be. But mostly lost connections are caused by average/bad wifi coverage in my own experience. So you can

• increase the ‘disconnect after’ time of the samsung
  • improve your wifi coverage
  • poll the router more often (i.e. make the router poll interval time shorter, I use 30s)

Or a combination of above :hugs:

It looks like I did use the wrong MAC address :thinking:

In the new app you do not need to use Mac anymore. You can trigger from the Samsung coming online and going offline
Or use ‘device metrics changed’ as trigger and check for the online tag.

I do use “verbonden apparaat” to select a device.
You need to know the devicename/ MAC?