[APP][Pro] Netgear Router - Network control, Presence detection, Energy monitoring

I’m using pairing devices for presence.
It works quit well and I’m happy.
Only the Samsung galaxy s10 is not always online while it must be.
What I see is that every device only shows 0 mbit at upload and download speed?
Is this a known situation?

I like the app very much until now I do think it’s the most reliable presence app based on WiFi connection of phones

2 Likes

Thx for the feedback! Really happy you like it. It works very reliable for myself as well on my R7800.

I noticed that phones in a weak wifi spot sometimes go offline. This significantly improved when I started using my old R7000 as additional access point on the first floor.

The device up/down speed is an experiment that only worked for 30 minutes on my own router. But after I did a reboot of the router it never gave that info anymore. I am convinced that the Netgear firmware has a bug, because the speed is also always 0 in the router web interface. I hope that certain router types do update this info, or that with a future router fw update the info is made working again. In the mean time you can disable this feature in the device settings if you do not want to see it.

@ everybody: Please let us know if you do see up / down speed of devices coming in. I wonder what router types and firmware do work with this feature. If nobody has it I will probably disable it by default during device pair.

v3.0.1 was just released as beta in the appstore. The pairing windows have been improved, and a watchdog was introduced that will restart communication with the router if repeated errors occur in the interface.

1 Like

Looks good so far :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

Strange situation. I get an error saying ‘failed to log in’. Re-entering the (unchanged!) credentials works. But after a minute or do, the error is back.

Screenshot_20191024-080129

Latest App version with latest Homey expirimental firmware.

Can you create an issue on github, and include the app log and the app test results?

I have created an issue on github and the App log (3c7bb98f-8742-429b-92ee-b08dc21755ea) has been sent. I need some help to create the App test. How do I do this?

PS
And thanks for the fast reply!

Go to app settings (more - apps - Netgear - configure). On the tab ‘test’ you can perform the test and copy the results. Can you please also copy the content of the tab ‘logs’ ?

Thx!

Created and posted both. I could not get to the settings without first removing and re-adding my router. This will have messed with the test / log output.

Perhaps OT…
I have a feeling that part of the issue could be my own fault. In my house a have the R7000 as main router, and in the attic a TP-Link WR104ND as access point with WDS Bridging enabled. Phones switch between these two routers during the day. In the R7000 I see phones being connected as ‘wired’ devices. This is not the case, but the R7000 thinks they are wired because connection is made by wire to the WR104ND which has the phones connected via that wifi.

Using another Access Point should not cause an issue. I do the same. Only thing is that the netgear will report a AP connected device as ‘wired’ in stead of being able to show the wifi ssid.
I got your issue reports and will investigate further (but first need to finish some work of my paying job :weary:)

Small update: after removing the device R7000, I can’t add the router again. The IP is found, (SOAP remains empty). I fill in SOAP=5000 and the password: times out.

I PTP on Homey and routers. Now the pairing session filled in the SOAP address and the device was included!

Next morning router shows as broken again

Any v3.0.2 app users that can give feedback if I can release it as stable? Any open issues?

Hi @Gruijter

Unfortunately my R7000 still reports as broken. I can re-add it, but after a while it breaks again.

mmh, ok. In the device settings you can now force a method for retrieving device status. Could you try setting it to ‘old’, and then do a ptp of the router? Maybe that helps.

Hm, not sure how to.

If I click the broken R7000 device, it states “failed to login”. In de advanced setting page I do not see the mentioned option. I do see the option “Internet check: Homey / Netgear”.

In the Netgear Router App in the 4 different tabs, I do not see the mentioned option either.

I do see I am running v3.01. Checked the App store and see v3.02. Will install that and report back!

UPDATE
Found the mentioned setting :sweat_smile:
Set the option to ‘old’.
PTP, R7000 is not broken.
Now fingers crossed it remains active.

Ah ok, well in V3.02 I stopped polling for the router logs (that was enabled in V3.01). So that should make it already a lot more stable on buggy netgear firmware :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Loving the new update.

FYI: no device speeds reported for devices with my R9000.

Super. Thx 4 the feedback.

I’m beginning to suspect that Netgear is not reporting device speeds anymore in all routers. It worked in older firmware. If nobody gets device speeds I will probably disable it in the Homey app.

I can see up/down speed on R6700, don´t know I can with new app.
I´m on latest Netgear software.

I can see up/down speed on R7000 (and it’s still online).
I´m on latest Netgear software nd Homey experimental f/w.