[APP][Pro] Netgear Router - Network control, Presence detection, Energy monitoring

Best thing to do is let your netgear do it all (router, dhcp and wifi). You setup the zyxel to switch off wifi and put it in bridge mode (if possible, ask your provider). Or otherwise forward all traffic to the netgear via a DMZ. That way you are also not dependent on the hardware your provider gives you and that makes it easy to switch to any other provider (cable, fiber, adsl, doesn’t matter)

Concerning the test not running anymore: try the new testversion of the app (see link above). Athom made some firmware changes to Homey making the test timeout too soon. In the new version I made the test run a lot shorter.

That was the original setup, but the new provider doesn’t support bridge mode. So I routed everything trough the Orbi but then I had unexplainable connection loss and very variable speeds internet wise. (1gb glasvezel). When I plug in directly I get constant speed and connection. So it was not really by choice because my preference was to let the Orbi distribute the addresses. I’v put the Orbi in the DMZ so it should work and it has. I will try the test app and let you know.

One more thing, I used the link above to install it. Is that the test (beta) version? My version nr is v3.0.5

Ok, so I reinstalled the netgear app and tried to add the orbi. Everything is at its latest firmware. Deze are the errors I get:

Try to do the test a few times, with at least one minute wait inbetween. Sometimes Homey doesnt timeout…

Tried it many times, but no joy… :disappointed:

I can attach the router succesfully to Homey again (3.0.8). Wil test some more tomorrow!

3.0.8 does fix some issues. It is still waiting for approval by athom, but you can already install it now from the appstore as test version

I used to see the option of installing the beta… but since the new App Store I can’t find it anymore. Can u help me out how to install the test version? Thx!

Just add /test to the app url

1 Like

Onwijs bedankt!! Hij doet het weer! Ben ik echt heel blij mee want had best veel flows gebaseerd op aan/afwezigheid via de Netgear app! Nogmaals dank!

1 Like

Good! While you are at it, I strongly advise to recreate your flows to use the new ‘attached device’ driver. Just add the devices that you want to do presence detection on. It gives better timing control, and more functionality.

1 Like

So in my old setup I used the general driver “apparaat komt on/offline” and used the MAC address to make specific which device.

Your suggestion would be to take for instance my phone and add it as a separate device to monitor its WiFi status?

Exactly!

@Gruijter maybe a stupid question:
I am trying to connect my R7000 to homey.

But i only get the error “failed to login”

I am supposed to use the admin password, correct?

see the log for more information:

========== STARTING TEST ==========

Node version: v8.16.0

Netgear package version: 4.0.3

Info: Homey fw:3.2.1 app: 3.0.8

t = 0

trying to auto discover Netgear routers…

[{Firmware:V1.0.9.88_10.2.88,RegionTag:R7000_WW,Region:ww,Model:R7000,InternetConnectionStatus:Up,ParentalControlSupported:1,CircleEnabled:0,OpenDNSEnabled:0,SOAPVersion:3.21,LoginMethod:2.0,ReadyShareSupportedLevel:29,XCloudSupported:1,DeviceMode:0,host:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx}]

t = 3.792

trying to login using method 1…

method 1 failed.

trying to login using method 2…

method 2 failed.

trying to login using auto method…

{message:Failed to login}

{host:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,port:5000,tls:false,username:admin,password:*****,timeout:18000,sessionId:A7D88AE69687E58D9A00,loggedIn:false,configStarted:false,soapVersion:3,loginMethod:2,guestWifiMethod:{},lastResponse:{message:connect ECONNREFUSED xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5000,code:ECONNREFUSED}}

That’s a bug in v4.0.3. install the test version.

I will test it! thanks.

Where can I download that test version? Or do you mean the test version of your homey app? because I already did that.

Ah sorry, wasnt looking right. You are using the right version. So adding the router should work. Indeed you need to use the admin password. I have a r7000 also, and just tested that it works with app v 3.0.8. Maybe you need to ptp the router before adding it to Homey.

I already did that too, I will try it again.

Are there any more options i have to set in the R7000 to get it working?

I had my R7000 in AP mode, and had the same login error.
Now its in Router mode but stil no succes.
also I activated remote management, also no difference.