[APP][Pro] Netgear Router - Network control, Presence detection, Energy monitoring

can you create an issue on github with a screenshot from your android phone?

Alright :+1:

I just did.

I try to use this feature to check presence and leaving the home by the phones
Is it possible that a phone is suddenly not connected tot the router because of power saving of the phone? (Samsung S10)

Could be. But mostly lost connections are caused by average/bad wifi coverage in my own experience. So you can

• increase the ‘disconnect after’ time of the samsung
  • improve your wifi coverage
  • poll the router more often (i.e. make the router poll interval time shorter, I use 30s)

Or a combination of above :hugs:

It looks like I did use the wrong MAC address :thinking:

In the new app you do not need to use Mac anymore. You can trigger from the Samsung coming online and going offline
Or use ‘device metrics changed’ as trigger and check for the online tag.

I do use “verbonden apparaat” to select a device.
You need to know the devicename/ MAC?

When pairing your samsung, the name and mac are shown in the list of all devices. Is that what you mean, that you selected the wrong device during pairing?

After pairing you do not really need to use the mac in flows (but you still can if you want)

yes

The name of the Samsung is not there only a MAC and I do have to chose the right one.
(Its the Phone of my son, he is not willi ng to give me his MAC :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Great App and in the process of making it my presence detection favorite.

I have added 3 phones. What I see is that ‘online’ status detection is within 2 to 3 minutes. Offline detection is around 45 minutes to an hour. Is this normal?

The phones are set to “180 seconds reporting” in the advanced settings page, the router (R7000 f/w v1.0.9.88) polling is 60 seconds.

find his mac in your router :wink:

Hi @Eternity
That doesn’t sound right. Could you check in the R7000 webinterface how long it takes for a phone to ‘disconnect’ ?

Maybe it depends on router type and firmware, but for my R7800 it takes around a minute for a device to be reported offline. And less then a minute to come online. And my app just reads out the status of the router. I set the router polling to 30s (default is 60s), so my Homey knows within 30s what the connection status is in the router.

Also I found out that the netgear firmware is not always stable, and my router can get in a weird state. A power cycle will solve that. Did you try to do a ptp of the R7000?

Will try that first. Thanks!

Is it possible to add at the “and” part of a flow to test if a device is online or not?
Now it is only possible to check if a zone is active

1 Like

It is already there, but as logic:

Thanks it works.
I didn’t think in such a solution.:yum: :sunglasses:

:+1:
Any luck after ptp of the router?

1 Like

Nope… Did some testing and a cold boot (PTP) did not solve the issue. I still see that online is almost direct (a BT beacon takes 1 minute and ‘away’ status via the Netgear App around 3 minute). Offline takes close to an hour… (Beacon 2 minutes).

Guess it must be the router. I will look into that soon.

Sorry i did not have (make) time to create the issue on github i’ll do that "soon :wink: " , but i did notice yesterday that whenever i open the nighthawk app on my phone and look at the devices list it somehow triggers something and devices go offline in the netgear app on homey …

also …
Do you do an active search in the new 3.0 app for devices? see if they are really online open port or something or is it still relying on the netgear routers internal device status?

3.0 still fully relies on the device status as reported by the router. So besides a short delay caused by Homey needing to poll the router, the attached device status in the Nighthawk/Orbi app should match with the Homey netgear app.