[APP][Pro] Netgear Router - Network control, Presence detection, Energy monitoring

I think I remember someone mentioning that with orbi extender mode, the connected devices get virtual mac addresses that depend on the AP it is connected to. Is that true? If so, then that would definitely confuse any flows that look for a fixed mac address for presence :wink:

By the way, I made the app so you can actually add multiple APā€™s as seperate Homey devices. So the AP on the driveway can produce seperate trigger flows. Maybe that helps in finding a solution.

It works!!! Besides a neighbour came out and saidā€¦ are u playing pokemon from the car??

Okay here is the solution.

Do not use extender mode with orbi. Set it up in outdoor access point mode.

Bam! 30 meters away from my house samsung s8 and Huawei p20 jumps on the networkā€¦ 20 secs after bam! Your genius app spots my mac adresses and my flow opens the garage just as im right infront of it!

Another helpfull tip for android users.

Battery savings might turn off wifi roaming! So turn em off or install a keep wifi alive app.

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1: this app rocks!

1 Like

I am having issues with my flows for presence.
This flow is disabled after about 8 hours because it is executed too many times.
Is there something wrong with my way of thinking or is there something wrong with the App?

The flow looks ok. It will be triggered everytime a device goes offline. In the app logs you can check how often this happens, but in my home (with 25 devices, and around 10 wireless devices going offline every now and then) this only happens a few times per hour on average. I donā€™t see how Homey can think that ths flow is triggered too much, unless it would be triggered multiple times per second. And that is extremely unlikely. Is there no other flow that is causing this issue maybe?

I had the same with my general battery check flow.
After an update of Homey it suddenly stopt stopping the flow.
Iā€™m running the latest firmware of Homey
I did mak a ticket too Athom by the way

I have now waited for the new stable FW and tried the presence again.
Still the same issue. I have attached the log from the app. From what I can see there is not really much trafic. Netgear logs.
I wonder why itā€™s still being disabled.

I think you should open an issue with Athom on this. The triggers are really not that many.

Yes I have opened an issue, but in the meanwhile I could do some testing. Would you mind showing your configuration for the app? It might be something that Iā€™ve set up wrong. Or is there any deep runthrough for all the recommendations in the app? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 example flows I am using myself. As stated before the flow you showed before looks fine to me and should not give any problems. You might want to try to fully delete the app, and reinstall. Maybe something went wrong in Homey during the install. But that is wild speculationā€¦ I heard similar problems for other flows (using other apps) so I do think there is a bug in Homey somewhere.

Hello,
I recently got a R6020. I canā€™t connect it to my Homey. All I get is this error message:

Any advice? I have tried restarting router + Homey but with no luck.

Does your router work with the Netgear Nighthawk app correctly? Is the router on the latest firmware? If both yes, then please create a issue on my Homey Netgear app github page, and paste the result of the test there (this can be found in the Homey Netgear app setings tab)

Thank you for the quick response.
It works fine with Nighthawk app (and routerlogin.net) and it is running on the latest firmware. I have created an issue on GitHub now.

Hi !

Since your latest update , which ran a few hours ago. The app reports socket hangup and I canā€™t control the router And my hue bridge is unreachable. The strange thing is I can connect to homey and some other devices.
The problem is Iā€™m not home right now so I canā€™t do a reboot of the router . I tried rebooting the app which did not change anything to the situation.

It is a r7000 with the latest firmware btw :slight_smile:

Is there something the app could have changed in my settings with the update ? Or ā€¦

Because the First time I installed it a while back, it locked me out by enabling the access control :sweat_smile:. Maybe something similar ?

Hi Fabien, sounds like your R7000 locked itself up. A hardware reset of the router must be performed.

I noticed that the firmware of the R7000 is not very stable when the soap polling is too often. Did you maybe lower the time polling interval? If you set it longer the chance of a lock up decreases. Keep it at 60s or higher.

1 Like

Thank you for your quick response!
I does seem like it, but in general the firmware of the r7000 is not very stableā€¦

I did not increase the interval , but iā€™ll Decrease it to 90s ā€¦ maybe that will also increase overall stability.

Iā€™ll let you know when I tried it!

1 Like

I decreased the interval and it seems to be running stable for now!

1 Like

Which of the routers have you found to be most stable and best price

There cheap ones and very expensive onesā€¦ itā€™s hard to choose one as they all claim to be the bestā€¦

Myself I only have the R7000 and the R7800. The R7000 became unstable after some firmware updates a year ago. The R7800 works fine, but is also somewhat dated. Maybe other users can give an opinion on what Netgear router works best for them, and also work well with Homey.

I canā€™t get any info here, plus it says five days.
Restarted app and router, no luck. router is 6800

What information are you missing? Concerning internet status: some routers do not report this correctly. You can change the source of the internetstatus to ā€˜Homeyā€™ in the device settings.

If you think something is not working correctly, then please create an issue on github and post the results of the test there (you can initiate the test from the app settings)