No Internet - No homey functions?

Local api
Where is it written that authentication expires in 14 days? I don’t find infos

Read is some time ago on questions to Athom on Slack,
that was not about Getting-started-with-API-Keys but about the Authentication Token you get when logging in with your Username, Password and optional 2FA.

Guess it is this one: Token - Homey Web API

Ah, ok!
So what I said is valid, with local web api you don’t need the internet for interact with homey hub

Do the API and local network device flows keep working after the 14-day token expires, or does the device stop working after the tokens expire?

If they permanently work after the tokens have expired, it is a compromise that I would be willing to take. As far as they can’t change their minds (or company owners) in the future to enforce whatever, as we’ve seen many other “local” hubs suffer in the past years.

Homey itself should keep on working after that, it’s only the authentication token for the official clients (mobile app and my.homey.app website) that expires, and which they won’t be able to refresh.

That’s not what the company support claims.

Support request on Feb 24, 2024, 21:21 GMT+1

Could you please inform me if it’s possible to disable the 14-day license verification for the Homey Pro, allowing it to function continuously within a local network post-initial setup? My smart home ecosystem primarily utilizes ZigBee devices that operate independently of an internet connection.

If the Homey Pro requires an ongoing internet connection to validate its operation or if it ceases to function properly once the license expires, it will not meet my needs. I’m looking for a solution that is not reliant on cloud services for managing my home devices.

Could you clarify whether the Homey Pro will remain operational without internet access, specifically if it can operate indefinitely without dashboard access?

Support answer on Feb 27, 2024, 16:00 GMT+1 by Dorean Veenstra (Athom)

I have verified your question to be 100% sure about everything.

They indicate that unfortunately you are not able to use Homey in the way that you desire. I understand that this may disappoint you and I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you want to return the product: could you please tell me where you bought your Homey and provide the order number?

Thank you in advance. I wish you a good day!

Best Regards,

Dorean

Athom Support

Follow us on Social Media: …

Please let me know if the support is wrong about their product.

It should, when you only use local radios like zigbee.
But, the moment you want to manage Homey, it needs internet, simply put.
F.e. advanced flows can’t be managed w/o internet. Who has Homey running w/o one advanced flow…

As most smart home owners have discovered, it’s very difficult, if not impossible, to just program it, and then leave it running unattended for months.

It’s really sad to see how Support and Marketing are complete opposites here, about the “Everything local” yell.
There’s only this hard to find statement, which appearantly doesn’t reach everyone:

Their everything local marketing is “everywhere” in this is their homepage:

If you go on YouTube videos, their own videos or paid promotional, they will repeat that is a local network and how fast it is.

I was mostly interested in their scripting to do “advance flows” than their nice UI dashboard. If I could use that with the device only on local network, for me it would be perfect. As any other online feature I can rely on HomeKit to do secure and reliable for free.

Anyway, I believe that the support didn’t consult with the marketing to answer, most probably with their PO or some Dev.

I’ll take on their offer to return it and accept it was a bad idea to attempt leaving the Home Assistant.

Support contradicts their own software developers then :man_shrugging:t3:

Welcome back :wink:

1 Like