Pairing Ikea tradfri problems

Does require having the gateway, though :wink: but I can confirm that it works very well!

Sadly, the IKEA remote isn’t directly supported by Homey, otherwise you could have connected both the remote and the bulb with Homey, and use flows to control the bulb using the remote (through Homey). Right now, that’s not possible.

Thanks guys for the helpful replies! I’ll buy a gateway! Ikea’s pricing is very reasonable so I’ll keep adding Ikea trådfri units. Hopefully the remote will be added to the homey app one day too.

I would not buy the Tradfri gateway but buy an support wall switch for homey… you do not need the same brand to connect and use all devices. For example I use the Neo Coolcam touch wallswitch for turning on/off my Ikea and Philips Hue lights and then you can setup whatever it needs to do when you “push the button”. An cheaper solution is the Xiaomi Aqara wall switch.

Neo Coolcam Touch Switch: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Smart-Home-Z-wave-Wall-Light-Switch-Home-Automation-Z-Wave-Wireless-Smart-Remote-Control-Light/32795668194.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7b974c4drc2deu

Anyone here who paired the plug succesfully?

Mine was added, but doesn’t work. And I cannot remove it again…

Tried again, and was able to pair after deleting device, when it failed to remove it properly.
The text says “on” all the time though.

Could you please describe how you paired the device?

Plugged the unit in a socket, moved Homey so it was approx 1m from unit, held the button on it for 12 seconds and released. It clicked, then started dimming up/down its LED.
I then added the device through the Homey app.
I kept touching the screen so it didn’t go to sleep, took approx 30 seconds to add it.

1 Like

I give up. IKEA has changed something in the plugs or something. They can’t be added anymore.

1 Like

Hi all. I bought 14 Ikea dimmable GU10 bulbs and started pairing. With some problems I paired 5 (some started immediately and some required reset by 5 times quick on off). When I got 6th I could not pair. I tried 3 next ones and none of them I could pair. Went for reset of Ikea app, restart Homey and PTP for 30min. Nothing helped. I read some forum regarding hard limit of zigbee devices = 20 but when I counted all my devices I was already above it. Then I tried some crazy hack I remembered from pairing of Hue bulbs. I took Hue dimmer put it directly on Ikea bulb. Pairing on Homey for GU10 bulb was running. I pressed little line button on Hue dimmer and waited. After 4secounds bulb reacted and dimmed to 50perc. I took dimmer out from bulb. After 3 secounds pairing on Homey started with no problems. After this I did same for all remaining bulbs and all were paired immediately with help of Hue dimmer. Homey was apx 1m off bulb all the time.
It seems to me like Hue dimmer is able to force any Zigbee device to strong pairing mode by pressing and holding small line button. If anybody is able to check it on other devices (of zigbee I only have lot of Hue and Ikea lights) and verify it would be nice.

Did you switch off the already paired bulbs before adding the next? It’s recommended by Ikea and known to give problems.

I only bought single ikea bulbs - no gateway. ( so theoretically they should had been unpaired when bought). Still I had lot of problems with pairing and I only managed first 5 pieces ( with difficulties). After that I could not pair any next. Above hack meant that I was able to pair others on first try with no problems at all.
EDIT: only now I understood what you meant. I did turn off all sucesfully paired bulbs before unscrewing

When experiencing problems when adding IKEA devices, this is what worked for me:
0. Keep the device close (<20cm) to Homey

1. Make sure the device is ON
  2. Add device in Homey
  3. When screen “add device” appears, turn OFF (2sec), ON (0,5sec), OFF (2sec), ON (0,5sec), OFF (2sec), ON (0,5sec), OFF (2sec), ON (0,5sec), OFF (2sec), ON (0,5sec), OFF (2sec), ON
  4. After some 4sec, the device will blink once.
  5. The pairing will start.

I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Anyone have any luck pairing a Floalt panel? I am unsure how to proceed… I guess I have to pair the Trådfri remote first, and the use it to toggle the panel on an off somehow to be able to get it into pairing mode?

I think you need to power-cycle the panel 6 times to enable pairing mode. I believe that when it is in pairing mode, you should be able to see a blinking light on the panel side somewhere (see the manual).

1 Like

Remote is not needed. Just power cycle 6 times close to the Homey.

I had to open the second Floalt panel to pair it (since I have two on same manual switch), and manually switch it on/off 6 times with the cable going into the LED driver. While in pairing mode homey was far away, but used another node in the network or something. That worked for me.

Just a heads up: in 5.0.0 Zigbee pairing seems to be much more reliable. Also, the Test version of the IKEA app is much improved.

I had the same problem, it was not possible to pair any Ikea device with Homey Pro. I got it solved by performing the following steps:

1. Removed all existing zigbee devices from Homey (and yes, I lost all the history for those devices)
  2. From the Zigbee menu in Homey I “Reset network” (I noticed that it changed the channel from 11 to 14)
  3. When trying to add an Ikea bulb it worked! I had to use the 6x on/off procedure for all of them. I continued to add other devices, some of them I had to perform the add procedure twice, but all of them worked.

Hello, please help me to resolve the issue with my Ikea GU10 bulbs:

I have 6 x GU10 bulbs without gateway. These bulbs can be controlled via 2 manual switches in two oppostie sides of the room. However, now that I have Homey Pro, I wanted to add them and control also via Homey.
I was adding them to Homey in the Ikea Tradfri app as Dimmable spot GU10. As they are all connected to the same switch and I already had the bulbs installed, it took me some time to find out that at first I need to unscrew all and add them one by one, always having just one bulb screwed in to pair up correctly. Otherwise, as they are pretty close to each other (45 cm), Homey was not recognising which bulb is being added at the time and was removing the other bulbs which were added before (as I could press only the switch, which control them all at once).
So it took me some time to finish it, but finally managed and when having all the bulbs in the app, I created a group to control them all at once. It worked fine for a couple of days, but then I was not using it for a dew days and used the manual switch instead and we also had our electricity down for 30 mins in the meantime. When I came back to it a couple of days later, only one bulb was connected and all other 5 bulbs have the message ‘device left the network’.
I would like to add them again, but first I would need your advice to make sure that I am doing it the right way and will not lose the connection after a couple of days again. Please help.

Thank you.