Homey Community Forum

Philips Hue by Athom

I think youre right. The motion sensor doesnt need to be connected to a light in the hue app. The dimmer needs to be connected.

Maybe i will look into if i can use the dimmer on homey without the hue bridge.

1 Like

Yeah, forget this buggy Hue app and use “Philips hue Zigbee”!

It’s not so simple. It’s important to distinguish how both apps work and how to get the best out of both feature sets.

For lighting control, there is currently nothing better than HUE with the HUE bridge! Does what it should in nearly real time with almost 100% reliability + enormous range of functions (scenes, groups / rooms, dimming, etc.) out of the box. Including firmware updates of the devices and Zigbee power diagonally through the whole house and a massive concrete ceiling. In combination with both the Philips HUE and the Philips hue Zigbee app unbeatable.

I use the Philips HUE app when I want take advantage of the deep implementation of HUE with the HUE bridge. Everything works fast and you can be sure that it works on the HUE side. Example:

I tried to install 5 Hue GU10 ceiling spots in the bathroom without the HUE Bridge and controlled via Philips hue Zigbee app. Didn’t work very well, because it was not reliable, individual spots sometimes remained off, because each lamp was controlled individually. Group App, etc. did not lead to better behavior. The known problem with simultaneous commands of Homey. With time offset it worked of course, but looks modest when the bulbs turn on one after the other. In addition, the various logics of the HUE system must be reprogrammed in Homey.

On the other hand you have a delay with the motion detectors if you use the Philips HUE app with the HUE bridge. But for this problem there is a simple solution:

For isolated rooms (eg bathroom), a motion detector should be registered directly in the HUE Bridge and used only there, faster than light :wink:

For multifunction with Homey, the motion detector should be registered via Zigbee app in Homey and if necessary, it controls the HUE lamps from there, which are provided by Philips HUE app via the HUE Bridge.

2 Likes

Have to agree, one of the problems I was having was when I was trying to create the Hue scenes without using Hue. Never worked satisfactorily or, for that matter, repeatably. The Hue app lacks all the logic that Homey has but Homey cannot control the lamps anywhere near as well as Hue with Bridge, especially when trying to control lots of lamps with a flow.
And Hue Zigbee network is excellent.
For me using Homey to create flows with logic from different

Tell me guys you haven’t got such issues with Hue by Athom app:

Hue by Athom app bug video

I do not have this problem with original Philips Hue light strips. But I have Innr Outdoor Spots (OSL 130 C) connected via the Hue Bridge and with it I also have these problems. But even if I control the Innr Outdoor Spots via the smartphone Philips Hue app, the colors are not correct.

No, haven’t noticed that issue. To be honest though I use the actual Philips Hue app to play with Hue lights. I use Homey to automate lights in flows with sensors and times etc as it is much more versatile than the Philips app. You had a token error there which I think means that Homey was trying to tell Hue to do something it is unable to do like change a parameter incorrectly or that too many commands are being sent and things get out of sync

Nope no problems at all, but have to say i dont change colors that often in 1 min :grinning:

This issue is not related to the frequency of changing colors/temperature. This behaves the same all the time no matters how many times I try to set these.

I experience this with all Gledopto lights but through hue iOS app all just perfect.

Because of this I can not automate the usual way, I need to create hue scenes for all color temperatures and brightness for scenarios I have in Homey…

I don’t know why, but I guess that’s the main problem, the use of non-original Philips Hue lamps via Hue Bridge.
I have also read about problems with Osram lamps, which were also connected via the Hue Bridge. Controlled via the Homey app they also showed wrong colors.

@Philip_Montgomery and @RoyWissenburg, which lamps/strips do you have in use? Which brand?

Just respond on this.

Only hue devices, strips, bulbs, sign lamps, bloom.

I just updated the HUE firmware of the Philips indoor motion sensors and re-add it to the HUE bridge. After the update I leave them paired an run a test regarding to the delay mentioned in the past. What should I say. The indoor motion sensor delivered the motion info nearly instand to Homey v5.

Could anyone run another test to confirm my result, please.

Yeah, I think the same, related to non original hue products. I also faced with issues with Innr. But this is what I do not understand… If vendors can do the compatibility with Hue bridge, and it handles them flawless, why Homey doesn’t do the same as the Hue bridge does?

I think Homey Hue app need to be rewritten from scratch… handling well all hue enabled products would be also Athom’s advantage, since lot’s of products support Hue.

I will contact Athom regarding this issue.

Edit
There is a new version v5.0.3 in the app store. Don’t know if it’s only the change from test to stable version.

Hue App has an update a couple hours ago, not available yet for update on my Homey

All mine are Hue

I’ve just checked the new release, the above mentioned issue still exists.

From the app pages.

Please note that 3rd party brands such as IKEA, Osram and other Friends of Hue accessories that are connected to the Hue bridge might work, but are not officially supported.

So guess they wont put much effort into the issues wich invold non hue devices