Power camera via ceiling lamp

Hi,

I have a Wyze cam which I want to install near my frontdoor. I don’t have a power socket there, but there is a ceiling lamp. I’m not an electricien, can I somehow feed the camera directly with the wires which go to the ceiling lamp?

Or maybe a surface-mounted socket can help, which I install near the lamp on the ceiling? Also for this option I need some help which colors and wires I need and how to connect them.

Thx in advance!

Thx for answer. I think only brown is normally not there in a ceiling lamp, is it? That means I have to put it there from the switch, right?

Yes, I understand, but the ceiling lamp is outside, above my frontdoor. Don’t think there is a ‘centraal doos’

There are “smart” solutions that do not require pulling wires:
Replace the bulb from the front door by a smart bulb controlled by homey (hue or any else).

Smart bulbs want continous power so now you can remove the switch and connect the black wire directly to the brown. (Or leave the switch but make sure you never turn it off.)

This way the black wire in the front door box will supply contiuous power that can also be used for the camera.

Ha, in coloring sheme black is hot. Black cannot actually should not be used for neutral or ground but black is usually a power feed (fase leg). So connecting those two is exactly like fkey said as closing the wall switch. The same happens with the wires.

Regarding thickness of the wire, 1.5mm is usually for the lights but 1.5 can easily be for the wall outlets that has smaller power need. Actually 16ams for the 1.5 wire is also withing the standard but usually its protected with max 10A circuit breaker.

All in all what @FKey said is not standard way of connecting stuff but yes it will work without issues. Do I recommend fiddling with a electrical wires, no i do not unless you are an electrician.

So when black is a power feed, what color is the “schakeldraad” ? They did not make up those colors just for fun ofc!

Isn’t a “schakeldraad” a power feed as well? Just not a permanent one.

Yep. So we all know it’s not permanent.
Just one more comment here then:
If u don’t know what ur doing, don’t do it!

2 Likes

Exactly, black is power feed usually going from switch to the load. Usually. It’s not mandatory, you can use brown just the same but it’s not best practice. Maybe in Netherlands it’s mandatory but generally it’s not. The point is that black is hot (power feed) and who ever sees the black needs to act like is hot untill he makes certain its not.

By connecting the brown and black you have the same situation like the wall switch is closed, so for sure that is not something out of ordinary.

But yes, do not play with wires unless you don’t know what you are doing.

1.5mm with 16? 2.5 is usually 16A. 1.5 is extremely rare to see on anything other then lights. I have it in bathroom area for the bath tub and is behind 10A.

“The minimum core cross-section of copper cables for power and lighting chains is 1.5 mm2 (see clause 524.1 and table 52.2 of NEN 1010). By way of derogation from this, for pipe installation wire, the nominal core cross-section must be at least 2.5 mm2 for the supply of wall sockets for general use in homes. The purpose of this is to prevent overloading of lines for the supply of wall sockets. This is because large devices can be connected to the sockets, such as electric heaters.”

We are arguing around pointless things. Brown phase (live), black load (live). Yes I agree. Nontheless this can but not mandatory be like that.

What fkey said is doable nontheless.

1 Like

And the NEN1010 is for Dutch rules yes, not common rules.

Exactly my point. In pipe installation it’s harder to dissipate heat from the wire so wire has to be thicker. But like you said 1.5 power minimum if you are installing it directly in the wall.

We don’t do that in Holland.

Big difference then in the cross section. One more question, your houses from which materials are they usually? Drywall or brick wall?

All kind of types but mostly brick or concrete.

Hm, interesting then but ok that is really just the way of doing things. In drywall you usually see pipes as a rule. In brick we still see directly in the wall but yes pipes are always a good choice.

We put them all in pipes, no matter where they are in the house. But again, like u also said: if u don’t know what ur doing, don’t do it! And I know. My apartment burned down because of bad electric wiring (not done by me btw). My youngest daughter gladly could escape at the last moment but man that is scary!!

Uf, hard shit man… I’m planning for the same fear install in the next months min 3 fibaro or netatmo smokes around apartment.