Rate_limited error message

When using a “notification” to send a message to a mobile phone I now get “rate_limited” error.

The simplest root cause I can think of is that I overloaded a kind of message buffer due to a mistake in another script, that has sent 99 messages to my mobile phone at night. It looks like this message buffer has a max of 99, since that it didn’t send more and I would have expected so now that I know the mistake in the related script.
Now my questions are:

• does it make sense what I’m writing above?
  • How do I empty this buffer again?

Yes (although the message buffer might be larger than 99 slots but the rate limiting kicks in when that amount of messages is being pushed within a short amount of time).

I don’t think you can.

The question is where the rate limiting occurs. As far as I know, push services for both iOS and Android don’t have rate limiting, so perhaps Athom imposes the rate limiting itself (or Athom uses a third-party service to deliver notifications and that service is rate limiting). It might be worthwhile to ask Athom about it, perhaps they can do some magic and clear the buffer.

Thanks for your answer Robert.
Good news. I think the situation is automatically reset after 24 hrs, I have received pushed messages again. So my problem is solved

2 Likes

I’m having the same problem with motion detectors sending push notifications to my Samsung S20.

I recently purchased a Dio Outdoor Motion Detector Ref. 54744, wireless on batteries. Worked great to start something (i.e. a light) and send push notifications on my phone.

So I purchased 3 more for the other sides of the house and shortly I wouldn’t get the notifications even though the rest (i.e. light) would work and movements would be logged.

Looking in the flows, I noticed the “rate_limited” error.
Restarting Homey solved the issue.

But trying to avoid the overflow in the future, I’m now testing with a delay between the notifications. So, if there’s continuous movement somewhere, I get 1 notification the nothing for XX seconds. Crossing fingers, future will tell :slight_smile:

Hi all,
Since more than a day I receive a ‘Rate Limited’ error message on the Home screen of my Homey Android App. I can still go to ‘Devices’, ‘Flow’, ‘More’ but when selecting ‘Home’ I keep getting the ‘Rate Limited’ error message.

Some info:

• Device: Homey Pro (Early 2023)
  • Version: 10.3.1-rc.2
  • App: Android version 8.0.0.1441

What I already tried:

• Restarted Homey several times
  • Waited for more than 24 hours
  • Checked the Homey Android app on my tablet but it also gives the same error
  • Removed all messages on my timeline

The error mesage would suggest that a large amount of messages are being send at a short amount of time. However, both the timeline and SimpleLog doesn’t show any large amount of messages being send.

Anyone having any idea how I can fix this error?

No, i think this is a different rate limiting.
Rate limiting can be taken on different places like where information is returned.

Like fe the one you get on a website where you press F5 refresh 500 times in 5 minutes.

No ideas where this one is,
Is it in another mobile app for fe family with the same Homey also?
Or di you see it in the Homey WebApp?

Thank you for your reply. I checked all the applications we have in use:

• My phone (Android version 8.0.0.1441): it shows the error
  • My tablet (Android version 8.0.0.1441): it shows the error
  • My wife phone (Android version 7.6.1.1408): it does not show the error
  • The Homey WebApp (Chrome): it does not show the error

I think creating a Homey support ticket will be the best in this case.

1 Like

Login with your wifes account on the tablet…

Okay, this is strange: I just wanted to logoff from my tablet when I noticed that both my tablet and my phone are working again (on my account)! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Maybe beceause I now powered off my Homey for a few minutes, but I did several restarts before without any succes. Anyway, I will keep an eye on it and let it know when the error returns. Fingers crossed it won’t come back :crossed_fingers:

Thanks @Dijker for your help. I appreciate it a lot!

Look like your Account on Mobile was Rate Limited, maybe not try refreshing fe 600 time in 3 minutes anymore :wink:

Unfortunately today the error message returned. :cry:

I have send a ticket to Athom and got a response the same day (thank you Athom!). Strangly, the Rate Limited error seems to come from apps requesting the weather forecast. I have several weather-related apps. Most likely, some of these apps are requesting the weather forecast using the same API which is causing the error.

I am disabling or removing weather-related apps one by one to find the root cause. This won’t be easy as the error does not disappear immediately and I have to wait days to see if the error will return or not. So fingers crossed.

Homey is a waste of money. All I get is errors, rate limited on something that worked fine connected directly to Alexa. I wish support would stop making excuses and fix the issue. I’m deleting my account and going back to Amazon. At least with Amazon, I don’t get ‘rate limited’.

So, okay, you took the time and energy to create an account here, only to let us know about your plans with Bezos?
This is just a users forum, so all in all a pretty pointless post imho.
Anyways, have fun with Alexa, say hi to her.:kissing_heart: :wave:

1 Like