RF Bridge SONOFF TASMOTA 9.3.1 HELPppppppp!

image Has anyone managed to add anything from SonOff? I am already trying to add this BRIDGA RF 433 Mhz on the 3rd day - I start to doubt whether the purchase is accurate - no support :frowning: Any residual comments on the forum - is it supposed to look like this?

Struggling with exactly the same. I can reach the bridge via IP-adres, but cannot link it to homey. I get a timeout error.

Assuming you’re using the Sonoff app: that has only been tested up to Tasmota v6 or v7.

I fell for this trap to when I purchased my Homey Hub. Thought it had SonOff support when I bought it. Turned out it doesn’t really… It was useable a few years ago but not anymore.

The App really needs to be removed. So many people must get fooled by this… It has no real use anymore …

If you flash your SonOff with Tasmota the author of the Tasmota MQTT app claims that RF bridge will be supported in the coming months .

The app still has 1800+ installs.

Removing the app from the official Athom App Store wouldn’t necessarily stop current users of the app from being able to use it…

It could in theory maybe be moved to say the community App Store in case current users ever need to re-install it again to retain their setup, though I’d dare say it probably won’t be too long before the Tasmota MQTT app can support all the same devices this app can do. (when used in combination with SonOff’s easy flash Tasmota conversion option they now offer)

Either that or maybe just rename the app to say “SonOff (Legacy firmware) or something similar.

The main concern is people who are considering buying a Homey see this app listed on the website and then make the assumption that Homey is natively SonOff compatible when it isn’t… I was rather pissed off to find out none of my SonOff devices would natively work with it once I had bought my Homey. (same with a few other apps on the Athom website) and also including the IR and 433Mhz functionality…

It’s a trap that really needs to be fixed one way or another. Would you agree ? People (like this fellow) will just keep falling into it…

The Sonoff app also supports Tasmota (at least older versions of it) for most devices. The blurb of the app also states that native firmware support is only limited to older original firmware.

True , but those versions of Tasmota are a bit out of date now. No one knows if the current gear will work with it properly now… Who’s done any testing ?

This is irrelevant to the point I was trying to make though. When people see the SonOff app listed on the Athom website they expect that they can go out and buy a SonOff device, pull it out of the box and pair it up to their Homey Hub without too much fuss and not have to go down the firmware flashing rabbit hole which most people don’t know how to do. . This is the reasonable consumer expectation…

The text presented on the main page of the SonOff app states …

This driver works with unmodified Sonoff WiFi devices, using the original firmware (however, see below).

However, it does require an initial device setup. The procedure for this is documented in README.md, and you can also read it during the device pairing phase on Homey.

When I read this (while i was researching which hub to buy) I was given the impression., 1) the app works with native SonOff firmware… 2) it just needs special attention for the pairing process, and that was it.

Anyone that reads this would reasonably expect that all their SonOff’s will natively work with it.

Yes, the fact that it’s not compatible with native SonOff firmware (after a certain firmware version) is mentioned in the blurb but this is presented in small text that’s buried in a sub window on the right that is not initially visible on the main page… The main page actually contradicts this (the part that most people read) and says “Works with unmodified SonOff WiFi devices, using original firmware”

If I had to read every blurb for every app on the Athom website it would take me a year ., :weary: … No one has the time to go into that sort of depth while researching which hub to buy , and then do the same with the 10+ other hubs on the market.

Prospective Homey buyer’s see all the apps listed on the Athom website and make the reasonable and logical assumption that they… hmmm “work” without any catch’s or caveat’s. Especially considering this a premium high quality $600 hub. $$$$$ , and not a $100 Raspberry Pi , open source Hack project,.

Sorry if it sounds like I’m bitching but some of the apps on here really need to be reformed. All the “zombie” apps either need to be bought up to scratch or taken off the main list of apps if they don’t work properly or aren’t up to a certain standard. It just ends up screwing everyone around like this poor fellow and the rest of us…

2 Likes

I was terribly disappointed - it was supposed to be fun, a pleasure to use the system, and a company like Zipato has a much better solution for device management

1 Like

I updated the documentation for the Sonoff app in the app store. Let’s hope people don’t read what they want to read into it anymore.

1 Like

Or those that have a reasonable consumer expectation, or read the text at the top of the main page that says it works with native unmodified SonOff firmware… Those silly people . :wink:. Hehe

… it will not eliminate the problem with the most popular SonOff modules after all :frowning:

It’s meant to inform people that only a limited number of devices are supported by the app, and only if those devices are running Tasmota. The Tasmota MQTT is still actively being developed.

I bought a pro version with the idea of easily adding drivers such as SonOff, Tuya, Ferguson … I was very disappointed :frowning: I have to bother my IT friend to help me :frowning: salary - not everyone earns 20 € / h - here people work 12 hours for a rate of 4 € / h. I don’t enjoy it at all …

1 Like

Too bad :frowning: Next time, try and see if the product has some sort of forum (like this) where you can ask whether your specific devices are actually supported or not. Especially for Homey, with its separate apps, it may not always be clear from the app page if a device has support (even if you think it does).

Dariusz_Mazierski Though Ive only owned my Homey for about 6 months now. (cant really remember exactly) i believe the SonOff app was initially created (a few years ago)… From what im aware it did “exactly” what any reasonable consumer would expect it to do… You could put your SonOff device into LAN mode and could then discover and pair it with the Homey SonOff app… (maybe just needed to enter user/password and that was it (i guess).

At no fault of Rob (the creator of the SonOff app) ITEAD, the creators of SonOff randomly decided to close all access to 3rd party platforms and as such any SonOff device from that date on wards (or any devices that have since had a firmware upgrade) wont “natively” work with the Homey SonOff app anymore. (or with any other platform)

Around that time (maybe before ) hackers had discovered that SonOff devices could be physically re-flashed using Tasmota firmware… This procedure takes a lot of fooling around, with a lot of time and research to figure out. For 90% of users this is not a practical solution but this atleast gave an option at the time …

To Rob’s credit (at the time) he spent sometime modifying his app so it would “also” work with some of the popular SonOff devices which had been flashed with Tasmota…

For that brief period of time you sort of had fighting chance in getting your SonOff device to work with Homey , either natively or by physically re-flashing it with Tasmota, though not every device was supported at the time…

For what ever reason (i cant really comment) Rob decided to abandon the SonOff App. Some time has past since then. Today maybe only only 5% percent of SonOff devices still have the old firmware version that will natively work with the app and also limited Tasmota compatibility. It was never fully compatible with devices back then and now there are new ones out there…

Again, to Rob’s credit (historically) it was an extremely good app from what I can tell, but unfortunately its now essentially abandon-ware and was set adrift out in the ocean and is not very usable for most people now… Athom were not interested in taking it over and furthering its development, or were they interested in proactively encouraging another developer to take it on to ensure that this very “LARGE” and “MAJOR” device manufacturer was supported by the Homey platform, or to further Tasmota compatibility which is quite a big thing in the Home Automation community…

Unfortunately, like with other things like Homey’s “crap” IR functionality (compared to most platforms), Homey’s “crap” 433hz functionality and its “questionable” HomeKit support having “deficient” features such as this openly advertised on the website does sucker a lot of potential smart hub buyer’s into buying a Homey to then be disappointed in finding out that they aren’t really “usable” or meet reasonable expectation with very little “CLEAR” print or “CLEAR” disclaimers in the adverting saying that they are deficient in performance…The response… “ya should of read the fine print”…

In the case of the SonOff app , as i mentioned earlier i personally think it should be de-listed from the main list of apps… It is a trap for new buyers but I’ll let the powers at be figure that all out… :wink:

Dariusz_Mazierski The good news is that ITEAD finally figured out that they are are big bunch of idiots and it was a bad move to cut off third party access so now (with a 10 minute procedure) and with just a few clicks here and there you have the option to flash your device with Tasmota without having to “physically” mess around with it…

The other good news is that there is a fresh developer on the Homey platform called Pavlo that over the last 6 months and has been proactively steaming ahead in creating an app called ''Tasomota MQTT".

He is endeavoring to finally get Homey “properly” functional and compatible with Tasmota based devices. He initially had a bit of slow start but Ive been very impressed with his work lately. Very dedicated to his work. The app doesn’t have RF bridge compatibly just yet but this isn’t too far off from what ive heard, I will be donating some money to him in a few weeks… (others should do the same).

Finally workable Tasmota on Homey … :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

It is sad though that its 2021 and this isn’t already a thing. hmmm … Basically has been a standard feature on other platforms for some time now…