Ring Security - Extend Heimdall with Ring Security products

This app lets you add Ring Security products to your Homey.

The Ring Security devices are part of the Ring Alarm system, if you are looking for information or support for the Ring Doorbell, Chime, Siren, Flood Light or Stick Up Cam please visit the Ring Doorbell and Camera support for Homey topic.

large

Supported languages

:uk: English
:netherlands: Dutch
:de: German
:fr: French
:it: Italian
:sweden: Swedish
:norway: Norwegian
:es: Spanish
:denmark: Danish

Supported Devices

large

Ring Keypad

large

Ring Keypad (2nd Generation)

• Several users have reported that the keypad freezes after entering a PIN.
    Disabling Use Proximity Detection in the Advanced Settings of the device seems to fix this.

small

Ring Contact Sensor

small

Ring Motion Detector

Under Construction

small

Ring Contact Sensor (2nd Generation)

small

Ring Motion Sensor (2nd Generation)

small

Ring Outdoor Sensor

Links

If you want to support this app, please consider a donation

Donations are very welcome, though they come with no guarantees, warranties, or preferential treatment (just think of it that you’re donating for the work already done, not the work to be done).

2 Likes

Please report bugs at: Issues · daneedk/com.ring.security · GitHub

FAQ

Q: When I try to add my Ring device Homey says no compatible App found and the device is added as a Generic Z-Wave Device
A: The new Homey Pro Early 2023 is available in more regions than before, it may be your device is for a region that is not yet added to the app. No worries, this can be fixed! Check the post describing how to find the Device Information.

Q: Will it be possible to connect the Ring Alarm system with Homey?
A: No, that’s not the purpose of this app, the purpose is to be able to add the Keypads and sensors to Homey so they can be used with Heimdall

Q: Some LEDs on the Keypad stay lit all the time when the power is connected, can that be changed?
A: That’s default behaviour of the Ring Keypad on older firmware versions. There is no way to change the battery indicator led, the other leds can be dimmed in the devices settings.

Q: How can I use the Ring Keypad with Heimdall?
A: Check the post describing the Ring Keypad and Heimdall Integration

Q: How can I use the Emergency Buttons on the 2nd generation Ring Keypad with Heimdall?
A: Check the post describing the Ring Keypad and Heimdall Integration

Q: Why isn’t the integration with Heimdall working when the Ring Security app is run from the CLI?
A: The integration requires a (secret) API key which is not available on Github. It is only available when the app is installed from the App Store.

Q: My Ring Keypad V2 freezes when entering a PIN, how can I fix this?
A: Several users have reported disabling the Use Proximity Detection in the Advanced Settings of the device fixed this for them.

Go to opening post

This app is published as Beta and may contain bugs

Changelog

Current bversion: 0.2.17

• Added US/CA device ID to Ring Contact Sensor V1
  • Added US/CA device ID to Ring Motion Sensor V1

Previous version: 0.2.16

• Added US/CA device ID to Ring Keypad V1
  • Minor text changes

Previous version: 0.2.13

• Fixed bug in flow action cards for keypads
  • Add tamper detection for Contact Sensor V2

Previous version: 0.2.12

• Fixed bug Arming and Alarm delay

Previous version: 0.2.11

• Fixed bug Arming and Alarm delay

Previous version: 0.2.10

• Set Use Proximity Detection default to No for Ring Keypad V2

Skipped version: 0.2.9 Beta

Skipped version: 0.2.8 Beta

Previous Version: 0.2.7 Beta

• Added Chime functionality (Ring Keypad V1 and Ring Keypad V2)
  • Added Flow cards to activate Siren manually (Ring Keypad V1 and Ring Keypad V2)
  • Added Flow cards to activate Chime manually (Ring Keypad V1 and Ring Keypad V2)
  • Added support for Contact Sensor V2
  • Added support for Outdoor Contact Sensor
  • Added preliminary support for Motion Sensor V2

Skipped version: 0.2.6 Beta

Skipped version: 0.2.5 Beta

Previous version: 0.2.4 Beta

• Minor changes, minor fixes and added translations
  • Added Alarm Delay for Ring Keypad from the 2nd Generation
  • Added Siren function for Ring Keypad from the 2nd Generation

Previous version: 0.2.3 Beta

• Minor changes, minor fixes and added translations
  • Added Arming Delay for Ring Keypad from the 2nd Generation

Previous version: 0.2.1 Beta

• Support for Ring Keypad from the 2nd Generation added
  • Added setting to suppress “Sensor Active at Arming message” on Ring Keypads
  • Reorganised Ring Keypad settings
  • Code cleanup

Previous version: 0.2.0 Beta

• Added Motion Detector and Contact Sensor (V1)

Previous version: 0.1.2 Beta

• Added translations

Previous version: 0.1.1 Beta

• Added App Store translations
  • Bug fix for overlapping spoken messages Github Bug #1
  • Added setting to disable spoken messages

Previous version: 0.1.0 Beta

• Beta release

Previous version: 0.0.3 Alpha

• Minor fixes, not publicly available

Previous version: 0.0.2 Alpha

• Translation fixes, not publicly available

Previous version: 0.0.1 Alpha

• Initial release, not publicly available

Go to opening post

Ring Keypad and Heimdall integration

Both the original Ring Keypad (V1) and the 2nd Generation Ring Keypad (V2) can easily be used with Heimdall. No need to create flows! *

The first thing to do would be to create one or more users in Heimdall. Open the Heimdall settings and select the Users tab to setup your users, more information can be found here.

When the Ring Keypad is added the integration with Heimdall needs no further configuration, everything is ready to go. There are some settings for you to change to your likings. To change those or check the current settings go into the Advanced Settings of the Ring Keypad. Here you will find the Integration settings

V1

V2

There is also a setting to enable or disable the Tamper Alarm. When you use the Ring Keypad with a constant power supply the Tamper Alarm will be activated when the power is lost. Reconnecting the power will deactivate the Tamper Alarm.

V1 and V2

So, How to set the Surveillance Mode? Just enter the PIN you’ve configured in Heimdall and press the desired Mode. Heimdall wil perform the same actions it would when using the Surveillance Mode Switch, so when an Arming Delay is configured it will be used.

The Ring Keypad will show an indicator counting down while an Arming Delay is active. When the Surveillance Mode is actually activated the led for that mode will briefly light up.

To check the current Surveillance Mode push the Enter key on the Ring Keypad and the led on the active Surveillance Mode will briefly light up.

The Ring Keypad checks its connection with Homey frequently, when it detects there is no connection the Connection Indicator/Network Light will light up Red (until the connection is back) The Battery Indicator will show the status of the battery and inform you when you will need to recharge it.
When during Heimdalls Pre-arming Check it discovers an open door or windows or a motion sensor that is activated the Pre-arming Check Indicator will light up, it’s just an indication, Arming will resume.

1. Network light - Only lights up during pairing or to indicate errors. If it’s red, there is a network communication failure.
  2. Battery light - Indicates battery status. When off, there is plenty of battery power. Yellow means the battery is low, and Red means that the battery is very low. This light blinks green when charging.
  3. Police/Panic button - Triggers the Emergency Key pressed flowcard with the tag value POLICE
  4. Fire - Triggers the Emergency Key pressed flowcard with the tag value FIRE
  5. Medical - Triggers the Emergency Key pressed flowcard with the tag value ALERT_MEDICAL
  6. Motion sensor - When power save mode is off, this sensor is used to detect motion near the Keypad and light up when needed.
  7. Disarmed Mode - Enter your access code and press to disarm Heimdall.
  8. Home Mode - Enter your access code and press to change Heimdalls Surveillance Mode to Partially Armed
  9. Away Mode - Enter your access code and press to change Heimdalls Surveillance Mode to Armed
  10. Light Bar - Used to indicate remaining time during entry and exit delays.

Use the Emergency Key pressed flowcard to make a flow that will be triggered when the Police/Panic-, Fire- or Medical Button is pressed and held.
The tag on the flowcard will tell you what button is pressed, if you want to use specific actions per button use a condition card to determine what button was pressed, possible values are POLICE, FIRE or ALERT_MEDICAL

* The integration with Heimdall requires both apps to be installed from the App Store it will not work when running from the CLI due to missing API keys.

Go to opening post

3 Likes

Roadmap

In no particular order, no eta will be given

Add Arming Delay (Ring Keypad V2)
Add Alarm Delay (Ring Keypad V2)
Enable siren functionality (Ring Keypad V2)
Create flow cards to enable (and disable) siren functionality (Ring Keypad V1 and V2)
Create integration with Ring app for Chime functionality (Ring Keypad V1 and V2)
Add support for the Ring Contact Sensor V2
Add support for the Ring Outdoor Contact Sensor
Add support for the Ring Motion Sensor V2
Add shortened countdown when activating Last Door function (Ring Keypad V2)
Create setting to let Emergency buttons set Keypad Mode (Ring Keypad V2)
Add support for Ring Glass Break Sensor

Go to opening post

1 Like

Hello,
OK I understand
I really want to be a beta tester to integrate ring and its homey keyboard with heimdall

I expect to release the app for Beta testing today or tomorrow, so that will give you the opportunity to test the integration of the Ring Keypad with Heimdall.

1 Like

This app is published as Beta and may contain bugs

I’ve just release the Beta version of the Ring Security app to the App Store.
You can find it here: Ring Security | Homey

English cards?

Is this keypad also working if you don’t have any other ring device?

@Tangodelta
I’m sorry, can’t make much of that, could you please transform that into a sentence so I can try to help you.

@Xa4
Yes, that’s the whole idea of this app, adding support for the Ring Security devices without the need of the Ring Alarm Base station. The Ring Security devices are basicaly ‘just Z-Wave devices’ so can be connected on their own.

1 Like

You’re the best mate!

1 Like

New version published

Version: 0.1.1 Beta

• Added App Store translations
  • Bug fix for overlapping spoken messages Github Bug #1
  • Added setting to disable spoken messages

There was a bug reported where the spoken message announcing an Active Sensor during the Pre-Arming Check in some circumstances overlapt the spoken message of the selected Surveillance Mode. Delayed the Active Sensor message to prevent that. Also prevented multiple Active Sensor messages when arming.

Added settings Use spoken messages and Play sound before delayed arming to the Integration settings

1 Like

@DaneedeKruyff, I did some testing of the beta version and have a couple of questions:
Today I use the Pop keypad and to arm I just push the “bell button” without pincode. Is this functionality possible to add for the Ring keypad as well?
I mean, why add a pincode when arming???

Also, I found a fault. Can I feedback the fault in this forum or do you want them to be added in Github?

Hello Harald,

Yes, please post faults/bugs in the issue tracker on Github.

It is possible to change Heimdalls Surveillance Mode without entering a PIN like you do now with the Pop keypad. It will require flows like these:

Partially Arming

Arming

I ordered the Ring Keypad v1 to (beta) test your Heimdall extension. Will let you know how it performs.

@hluhr Adding a pincode for arming is a added value for me. Not everyone must be able to arm the security, and arming must be more than one keypress to prevent mistakes.

Ring keypad works perfectly! Also use it for other commands, like locking catflap, turn of sirens, Heimdall intergration is one thing, maybe now the most complete security system u can have.

My security automations are now near 100% autonomous, facial recognition etc, ring keypads adds warning, logging and voice. (in addition to google TTS), instead of buttons it protects flows (kids).

1 Like

@DaneedeKruyff thanks for a quick response. It was quite obvious when you explained it.

@Heronimus, I can understand your point. However, we have been using this setup for one year without any mistakes. If you do a mistake, it is quite easy to quickly disarm again. Worst case scenario, the alarm will go off. Not the end of the world…
The big security advantage with “one-click” arming is that it is less chance that you will reveal your pin for any house guests.

Yesterday i received the Ring keypad v1. Played with it some hours and must say I’m impressed about the possibilities and the Heimdall integration! Compliments!

Till so far I haven’t found any tag WHO (dis)armed surveillance. I know it’s in the Heimdall loglines, but thats more text than a username only. Whould be nice if that info comes with tags in event “Surveillance Mode changed”

1 Like

I agree with @Heronimus, also missing a username tag to know who armed/disarmed.