Ring Security - Extend Heimdall with Ring Security products

Ha that is great news. Installed FW7. Any eta on Keypad V2 support? Would rather have V2 on the wall instead of V1 that I can still return till the end of June :wink:

No ETA yet, and no guarantees, but I expect to be able to integratie it before the end of June.
Luckily the documentation for it it has surfaced on the Z-Wave Alliance website so while Iā€™m waiting for the Keypad to arrive Iā€™ve started on writing the driver.

Fingers crossed :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. Will order the V2 anyway (no pressure :slight_smile: Fully understand the dev process.

Do anyone know the difference between the Ring keypad V1 and V2 (except the S2 support)?
Any new functionality in V2 that can be used with the Homey solution?

Technically its indeed the S2 (and FLiRS) support, practically itā€™s a bit smaller in size, functional it has 3 dedicated panic alarm buttons and in aesthetics some may say it looks better.
In regard to what can be used with Homey; not sure yet. I expect it to be at the same functional level as the V1 version and I expect to be able to make the 3 extra buttons available as triggers for a flow but thatā€™s all speculation until I have it in my hands and can test it.

Ring Keypad 2nd Generation support is getting closer and closer!

1 Like

Thanks to ROBBShop by providing me with a Ring Keypad of the second generation I was able to start on getting it to supported in the Ring Security app.

Progress so far:
Iā€™ve managed to get the sending information from the Ring Keypad to Homey working, so entering a PIN and selecting a Surveillance Mode for example is working as expected. Iā€™m also able to receive information when one of the three panic buttons is pressed so I can create flow cards for them.
The device settings are also working although this keypad has some options the 1st generation doesnā€™t have Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be able to get this working.
Unfortunately Iā€™m currently running into a problem where the keypad doesnā€™t perform actions like spoken texts and showing the Surveillance Mode like it does for the 1st generation so that requires some extra work.

About ROBBShop,

Because buying the devices that I want to support with the Ring Security app will be very pricy I decided to try to find a sponsor for these devices. So I reached out to ROBBShop (thanks to @TedTolboom for getting me connected) and found they were really supportive about the idea even though the Ring Keypad is not (yet) in their assortment. Long story short, they ordered it for me and send it to me!

Iā€™d like to thank them for their support of Homey Community Developers and thus the Homey users so next time you want to get something new for you homeautomation be sure to head over to ROBBShop website and show your support for them!

4 Likes

Great to see that your efforts to extend the Heimdall app with support for the new Ring devices is recognized and supported by ROBBshop! Looking forward to the result of this collaboration!

2 Likes

First of all, Iā€™m very happy with this extension on Heimdall. Heimdall is already a very good solution, but this extension is making it better. I used a keypad with tags, but with this Ring solution i like it more. Also that you can see the state and also there is a voice option and siren function in it as well. Thanks for that.
My question is about when the alarm is set, there is a message ā€™ Ignore sensor messageā€™. Is it possible for me to disable that message?

2 Likes

I like this indicator, would be cool if the device could tell (voice) me which sensor is active. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Rob_Bruining Great, happy you like Heimdall and this app. At the moment there is no setting to disable the ā€œSensor active at arming messageā€, I can add that though.
Iā€™ve added it as a Feature Request on Github: Feature Request: Add setting to Ring Keypad to suppress "Sensor Active at Arming message" Ā· Issue #3 Ā· daneedk/com.ring.security Ā· GitHub
Not sure when Iā€™ll get to it, at the moment my focus is on adding support for the 2nd Generation Ring Keypad.

@jc82517 that would indeed be very cool but will not be possible, there is no text to speech possible. All spoken messages are static.

2 Likes

I see. :frowning: but i have to say, that the integration of the keypad works like a charm. also heimdall is amazing and i love it. thank you so much for your incredible work. :clap:t3:

2 Likes

Thank you so much for this, I have the 2nd Generation Ring Keypad and Iā€™ve been hoping to see an integration for the Ring Alarm system ever since I bought my Homey last year, this is wonderful of you to do. Developers like you are the reason we can enjoy all this amazing technology :heart:

2 Likes

So, good news!
I finally managed to get the communication from Homey to the 2nd generation Ring Keypad working. Not all functionality is there yet, this keypad uses fixed times for the Alarm Delay and Arming Delay so I have to figure out how to match that to Heimdall where the delays are flexible. That also is a problem for the Last Door Function so thatā€™s not integrated either. Lastly, Iā€™ve not yet added functionality for when the Alarm is activated.

What is working you ask?
Well, the Surveillance Modes gets displayed correctly and the Sensor Active at Arming message works (and while I was at it, I added a setting to enable/disable ignoring it, for both Keypad Generations @Rob_Bruining)

Iā€™ve not submitted this version to the App Store, but it is available at Github so if you know how to CLI install an app you can get it and test it, Iā€™ve not done thorough testing yet so I hope some people here can help me out with that.

What was the problem getting it to work?
This Ring Keypad version uses the Z-wave Command Class Indicator Version 3 which is very different from the Version 1 used by the 1st Generation Ring Keypad. Thanks to @TedTolboom I was able to write code in the form the Indicator Version 3 expects it, only to find out that Homey doesnā€™t support Version 3 of the Indicator Command Class (yet) only Version 1 and 2. Luckily @tjallingt stepped in and helped me out with some code to send Z-Wave command equivalent of what the Indicator Version 3 would do. Thanks to both!

2 Likes

Thank you Danee. I cannot test it, because I donā€™t know how to work with CLI install. If there is a test version that I can download with a link, I will test it, but otherwise I will wait for it.

I have a question. The Ring v1 keypad works very nice. I also use it as a siren. But when the alarm goes off. The siren works for I think 1 minut. When alarm is there and I directly set every thing off , I cannot disable the siren of the Ring keypad. After a specific time the alarm stops. I disable the alarm from my phone and not from the keypad.

When you say disable the alarm from your phone I guess you mean by either clicking the Alarm Off Button or clicking the Surveillance Mode Switch, am I right?
To be honest I think I didnā€™t test that when writing the driver for the Ring Keypad, I only checked by setting the Surveillance Mode to Disarmed, that definatly stops the sirene so please use that method for now.
Iā€™ll have a look in the Ring Security app how to fix this, will post a follow up in the Ring Security App topic

I do both alarm disabled and surveillance mode disarmedā€¦

Hi Rob,

Iā€™ve not been able to reproduce and when checking the code I found I already added code to stop the Sirene when they Alarm State was turned off without changing the Surveillance Mode but since my local version is already ahead of the published version Iā€™m not sure it is already available in your version. Can you tell me which version of the Heimdall app and the Ring Security app you are using?
Also, Iā€™ve made changes in how the Ring Keypad (V1) can be used as a Sirene for Heimdall, there is a chance the setting and actual working are not aligned. To be sure thatā€™s not interfering could you please remove the Ring Keypad from Homey and add it again?