[APP][Cloud & Pro] Somfy Tahoma & Connexoon (v4.0.37, test v4.0.75)

same email received from Somfy… i have 7 sun screens, 3 light sensors, 1 temperature sensor and the tahoma box also knows some 50 Hue devices and 8 Honeywell Evohome thermostatic valves .

I got the same email :scream:

Same email. My account seem blocked as well. I can login to the Tahoma phone app, but I cannot login to Tahomalink in browser.

same here

Same here.

Just received this email from Somfy. Whitch is weird as installed the app but don’t use it. so ???

\ 140x36
Warning on the way you use the TaHoma API

Dear customer,

In an ongoing effort to provide the best services to our users, we monitor the traffic generated by our applications and Smart Home boxes (TaHoma and Connexoon). It appears that you are using a third-party solution, either developed by yourself or provided by an external entity (developer or community of developers not working for Somfy). Such developments are made without our willingness and, sometimes, do not respect our usage guidelines.

We are contacting you today to update the way your script or your application behaves with our API as it is overconsuming our backend resources for your own installation. To do so, please contact the provider of your solution or update your code by October 31st.

We are asking all third-party scripts or application to reduce their polling activity on our API. In particular, the GET /setup endpoint is meant to be used once and only once by end-user session and not to regularly refresh the devices data.

As we do not want every TaHoma and Connexoon users be impacted by the overuse of some individuals, we will react in the coming months and set up rate limiters and automated bans if such changes are not applied.

Thank you for your understanding.

\ 600x15

\ 150x47
Copyright © 2020 SOMFY ACTIVITES SA, All rights reserved.
You received this email because you have subscribed on our website.

Somfy is committed to respecting your privacy. For more information, please read our privacy policy

Make sure you get our email, add us to your contacts list .

@Adrian_Rockall Is the API crappy or is there indeed something that could be changed in your app to reduce the load on their backend resources.

So it seems there is a constant load to Somfy even when the app is not used (and supposed to be idle)? Maybe something is changed lately, cause why would we get these emails pretty fast after 2.x

If they are complaining they should update their app, it doesn’t work with ios14, so it is normal people use their api.

If they charge +/- 200 euro for a connexoon and 350 for a Tahoma hub, they should have a decent server, api and app for that price

1 Like

Is there anybody who knows how to get the last version of Somfy?
I believe it was version 1.6.5 then Adrian has got time to sort out that api polling problem and we are not going to be banned.

1 Like

Yep I have the same email.
At first I thought it was due to my constant login in and out while testing but as you have all got it as well then that is obviously not the case.

I presume the timing must be a coincidence as the fundamental operation of using GET /setup is the same as it has always been. I have changed the network engine but what it sends and receives is still the same.
I know Somfy have been trying to restrict access via their API for at least a year now and the latest changes to use OAuth login is one of their measures to block third party apps.

As they mention specifically the use of GET /setup I will of course investigate an alternative method of getting the data immediately and update the app ASAP.
The only thing that worries me is that the alternative is to request the data for each device individually and I feel that will put an even bigger burden on their servers.

Edit: Interesting that someone on 1.5.4 has also left a review saying they have received the email as well. At least I know for sure now that it’s not something I did.

I assume that there was not change in the load recently, they probably did some audit recently. Do I understand that the problem is that our app is constantly logging in to keep the connection with homey or that i have so many flows during the day run?
Its a shame that these big guys do not understand that the implementations everywhere of IoT moves forward and that they shall keep up with the trends. They do oposite and not only Somfy.

Correct, I received the warning and I was on 1.5.3 (or was it 1.5.4). Just updated to the latest version.

Seams like a real issue here. I also got the same e-mail.

Hopefully the app is updates before they ban us from connection…

“…or update your code by October 31st.”

Hopefully something can be done by end of October…

Same mail. And on fw 4.2

Can we - Homey + Connexoon/Tahoma owners - in some way collaborate to ease Somfy a bit? Perhaps even mobilise Athom.

1 Like

I think somfy have to make it possible to communicate with tahoma without internet connection.

I do not quite understand the problem that Somfy has, meaning the technical one they claim, not the commercial one (of course they want to lock in customers and lock out 3rd parties). If I have a Homey flow that tests a number of screens if they are up or down before sending a command to open or close, all on my local network, why are their servers overloaded? Are they monitoring all local signals sent via my Connexoon on their servers? Then they should stop that anyway!

Well it’s even stranger that people got the mail, while not using the homey app. They only have the app installed. So it seems there is an unnecessary load somewhere

1 Like

It would be great if Homey could talk direct to the hub instead of going through the internet. Then no load on the Somfy servers, no issue with internet outages.
I did ask Somfy a few years back if they had plans for that and the answer then was a solid no. I really don’t understand that sort of thinking as surely it can only add to the appeal.

I suspect that user of other home automation systems have also received the same email as the ones that have public code use the same underlying method of using the \setup endpoint. I know because I have been doing a lot of searching in the last week to try and find solutions to the login issues that some users are experiencing.

But, even if all such users emailed Somfy support and threatened to boycott Somfy I doubt it would worry them. There are currently just under 2000 users of the Homey - Tahoma app so that is probably insignificant to a company like Somfy.

Anyway on a more positive note:
I have now discovered other endpoints that are more targeted that I can switch to. It will mean a restructure of the app as currently it gets a big lump of data from Somfy and then passes that to each device so it can pick out what it wants.
The new system will require each device to request the specific information it wants from Somfy. This will mean sending more request to Somfy but receiving a lot less data.
As the email specifically mentions the \setup endpoint as being the issue I am hopeful this will be satisfactory.

Edit:

I do not quite understand the problem that Somfy has, meaning the technical one they claim, not the commercial one (of course they want to lock in customers and lock out 3rd parties). If I have a Homey flow that tests a number of screens if they are up or down before sending a command to open or close, all on my local network, why are their servers overloaded? Are they monitoring all local signals sent via my Connexoon on their servers? Then they should stop that anyway!

The only way to communicate with your hub is via the internet. It is not possible to talk directly to the box. So the app has to ask their internet server for the information and then send the commands to control a device to their internet servers. Your box only talks to a secure endpoint on their servers and sends status updates to it and gets commands from it.

4 Likes

Sounds promising. Hopefully they won’t send another email in a later stage when they audit/monitor the new endpoint requests :smile:

But can you explain why people got the email, while not using the app? Could it be that the app constantly logs in? Or is that unrelated?