Sonos Say

Hai Jeroen,

This is partly true; after i updated the Sonos Say app to run the node-server itself, Ludvig and I tried to publish it to the Store App. It was denied because they only want one Brand per App.
But they were willing to look at Ludvig’s app (Sonos Say) and take from it what could be used, thats why they added two cards into the Athom Sonos App:

1. Say … volume … Card
    This uses the ‘old’ google translate TTS engine, which is very limited and in dutch the voice is terrible.
  2. Play Audio Track … volume …
    This one is why i changed the Sonos Say app: send a URL (from my Google Services - Translate and Text-to-Speech to a Sonos device.
    This Sonos Card doesn’t repeat (while the old Play… card does put it in repeat).

Sonos Say does a few things like restoring groups and volumes, and for direct actions like mute unmute it is WAY faster then Athom’s Sonos App.
(The new cards are fast because they seem to be using the direct (UPnP protocols) method.)

So, if you don’t need to regroup after announcement, you could just use the Athom Sonos App.
But i would advice you too use the Google Service speech and not the build in Sonos Say/App “Say(url) cards”, the voices are much better.

1 Like