Homey Community Forum

Split Control Icons for "dumb" 433Mhz devices into two sides. (On/off)

app

(Updating this first post to make it more clear.) Thanks to Peter (below).

Before I upgraded to Homey Pro, I have been an owner for many years of the Telldus Tellstick Net. One of the things that I really appreciated with the Telldus is that it takes into account that the “Dumb” 433Mhz switches are dumb. That is to say, we do not know which state they are in.

I often find myself in a situation where I (In the Homey app) have to press the icon twice for a 433Mhz device since the “Icon” mistakenly believes that the state of the device is the wrong one. That also creates extra radio traffic.

On the Telldus it shows me what it believes the state of the switch to be, but I can also choose to send whichever command I want to the switch regardless of what the Telldus believes the state to be.

So, the issue is not one of information in the interface, but rather one of sending commands quickly.

I include a picture of how it looks in my Telldus application. It would be very convenient to have this both in the overview view, and in the detailed view of each switch. ( Slightly off topic: Also note that it is possible from the overview view to press on a small icon of a dimmable light and swipe to set the light level.)

1 Like

What exactly in your opinion is the difference between a split icon with a blue or orange color and a complete white or grey icon? They both give a clear overview of the last known status and both never get updated from outside Homey because 433 is a one way communication protocol.

I still have a HomeWizard which makes a switch blue or grey if it is switched by the HW itself, and it is not different there. It never get’s grey or blue when a device is switched on or off by an external trigger (remote or physical switch). That only works if you add the code of a remote to the device or scene in the HW.

Hello Peter!

Thank you for your reply. I realize that I was perhaps a bit unclear. My point is that I often find myself in a situation where I (In the Homey app) have to press the icon twice for a 433Mhz device since the “Icon” mistakenly believes that the state of the device is the wrong one. That also creates extra radio traffic.

On the Telldus it shows me what it believes the state of the swich to be, but I can also choose to send whichever command I want to the switch regardless of what the Telldus believes the state to be.

So, the issue is not one of information in the interface, but rather one of sending commands quickly.

It makes a world of difference in convenience.

I hope that the above explanation clears up the confusion.

2 Likes

Ah, that makes it clear indeed, didn’t realize that. The HomeWizard has the same option, i realize now. You can press either on or off at any time. Indeed the current tiles in the Homey app don’t support that.
Must admit: the idea is good. :+1:
It even applies for z-wave plugs i also realize. If the on or off command doesn’t arrive, you have the same issue.

I know still a lot Dumb devices are used, KAKU / Nexa /Telldus but I like the nice Clean interface of Homey. (Not to say what I find from your Telldus screenshot…)

Using the KAKU Remote most of the times Switches Homeys state of the device so no issue in that case. The only Device I have that I want to switch immediately got two Virtual Push buttons, one for On and one for Off. (Favorite Flows would also have been possible.)

You could ask Athom using the Feature request Form mentioned here:

But I already know their answer or I must be completely mistaken and a lot of People still want the Dumb devices with these Issues.

That is probably because you connected the remote to Homey so Homey knows what device has to be altered. I connected my KaKu switches directly to Homey, but still sometimes use a remote that is directly connected to the plugs (deliberately so that the plugs can always be switched by the remote without any host controller). So, if the remote is used, Homey isn’t aware of a change and doesn’t alter the state.

Dijker,

Thank you for the tip about the form. I thought that this forum served as a “suggestion board”, but I will use the form instead. Again thank you.

@Pantera_Ruber I have the same situation. Im using some KAKU devices with hardwire switch which results in double tapping on homey as homey doesn’t have correct state. I was writing to Athom few times about it, they respond is just usual in-front prepared nonsense without even being sure they understand what I’m talking about. All, all gateways for “dumb” devices like kaku have ON/OFF. Only homey cannot understand what is the problem behind this approach.

With time I started to transfer all relays that have hard wire switch to Fibaro and slowly switching KAKU to 100% controlled by KAKU switches. That way homey keeps good state of the switch so I do not need to double tap often.