Switches and/or dashboards - your experience

I am looking for some “wife friendly” ways to control all my devices (most important are lights and music) and I found several options (i know there are more options, but i do not have any experience with them) ;

1. Expensive, but reliable zwave switch/buttons
  2. Inexpensive 433 mhz button
  3. Or a tablet or some sort with homeyd.ash.

I have all three already in my home, some I’ve got some experience with these devices:

1. Reliable and feel premium. However, Expensive and it is unclear for a new user what each button does before they use the switch. Also they need to be charged once every 3 months (very easy to do).
  2. Unreliable when there are walls between the switch and homey. They also feel really cheap. Also, it is unclear for a new user what each button does before use the switch.
  3. Most expensive, highly customizable and the interface is immediately clear for any user. However, last year the app is not maintained, with (in my opinion) the most annoying bug that it does not refreshes (Hence it is not completely synchronized with the status of all devices, which causes confusion). Lastly, it needs to be charged once every 3 weeks or a dedicated power plug is needed.

I would like to know what you all think;
A) What is your preferred option? (Especially when considering the usage by inexperienced users)
B) Do you have any other switch that are not included, and have any positive experience with?
C) Does anyone know if there are any plans for a homey (tablet) dashboard and maybe when to expect them?

EDIT; added a link for homeyd.ash

I would say: Xiaomi zigbee devices/buttons. Very cheap and working fine. Except that the zigbee on Homey is not reliable or working at all at the moment… :roll_eyes:

1. Good idea but there are more buttons. Fibaro/Xiaomi FE.
  2. Forget it. 433 is a one way communication and in the end u wanna get rid of the 433 devices.
  3. It’s Homeyda.sh

Hi,
I think you should use a combination of 1 and 3. 1 for the simple thinks and 3 for the more complex things.
And for 1 you could also use some zigbee devices like stated above. I can say that the Xiaomi switches really feel and look like the far more expensive ones.
At the moment the range is a problem for me. When they are in range they work perfectly. I hope the update to Homey 2.0 (and later) wil fix the range issue.

So the zigbee devices only work when in range, otherwise they will be unreliable? My whole mesh is zwave, thus this wont an option for me then. (For inexperienced users i think you simply need really reliable switches.)

So for me it needs to be option 1 with zwave devices or option 3. I like option 3 more, but that homey currently does not have a maintained dashboard app is really bugging me… Are there any other dashboard options (other apps like https://imperihome.com/, but then for homey)?

that shout be nice