The sad IR - infrared misery

Keep in mind that there are 6 ir leds in the homey. They send through small holes beneath the ring. Not all of them are perfectly aligned. There is a video in the old forum showing that the ir strengst depends per led. Try to rotate the homey… make sure the ledring is switched off.

1 Like

that is some valuable info… thanks!

How does the IR learning works? I try learning all the buttons won’t display. Weird

Look at this short video, where someone is testing the IR leds.

My IR module does not work. I can manually add a remote. It is displayed in the device, but it does not work. I tested the signal using the phone’s camera. The phone registers a signal from my remote, but it does not register a signal from Homey, i.e. Homey does not send a signal. I tried to turn off Homi and wait 13 minutes. The situation has not changed after switching on. I installed a standard remote (philips tv). I managed to detected a signal, but it’s very difficult to catch (It is weak and deep in Homey). Can you help me?
My air conditioner Daikin atxn35m6 / arxn35m6 (Remote Control - apgs02)

1 Like

Athom still did not fixed the issue

You might want to add a Wifi controller to it and use this app: https://apps.athom.com/app/nl.climate.daikin

I :heart: it.

Still no improvness on the IR-function in Homey??

This is very Very sad.

I ordered my Homey yesterday and just got it by mail just now. I’m testing the IR but nothing seems to work. The IR use is one of my biggest usecases. How can such a company where connectivity is it’s core business not fix this bug since February?

I can still return it within 30 days. If there is no solution I have no other use for this and will return it. Unfortunately with a bad review (for my case).

2 Likes

You can complain to us, but we are not Athom. So report this to Athom support if you want them to do something with it.

Just as @RoyWissenburg I’m also curious. You mention you bought Homey where IR should be the biggest usecase.
In that case (if you really don’t need a domotica controller) why didn’t you buy a decent IR controller for about 1/8th of the price of a Homey?

1 Like

The best way to solve this issue is to complain via support@athom.com. I send an email two weeks ago and they told me that it is a known issue for a long time but they don’t know when they are going to solve it.

Lets all send an email and hope for the best :wink:

Homey have failed to fix the ir issue for 6+ months and they are ignoring anyone asking for updates.

The problem is not hardware since it can send (uding IR apps), and even record (try the dev interface). The problem is that it for some reason can’t remember what it is recording and thus can’t send it. It really should be an easy fix, it makes no sense why they won’t do it.

1 Like

Maybe you should hand them the fix so they can apply it.

Not sure what I did to earn your criticism, nor what it adds to the discussion?

The fact is that Athom has known of this problem which more or less invalidates a complete feature set of their device for a very long time. It can also be proven that is is not a hardware issue with neither reading nor sending signals, it can also be seen that the recording app reacts to the incoming signal so the app is functioning up to that point. It’s not a strange conclusion to draw that it is a big chance the problem lies after receiving the signal and storing the value, or when reading it from where it is stored - an area which in most applications should not pose a serious problem to fix.

Please also note that I say “should”, not “is”. I don’t have access to the source code but I can draw conclusions from an analysis of capabilities and behavior. Finally - since Athom is not open source there is no way for me to “hand them the fix”. But if Athom gave me access to their source code I’d be happy to give it a go. Until that time all I can do is to send them my detailed analysis (which I have done) and remind them that they have paying customers unable to use one of the main features of their device.

The fact that they after 6+ months only have the reply “working hard on this” with no further update is a clear indication that they are in fact not working hard on it. I’m guessing they feel IR is low on their priority and if so I’d love for them to be open and honest about that. Then at least I’d know what to expect.

Again, I don’t get why you are opposed to asking them for a fix and instead prefer attack the person asking?

7 Likes

It’s not criticism, I understand that you must have knowledge because you say it should be an easy fix. So you must have an idea what to do. And it is in all of our benefit if you supply that fix to Athom so they can implement it quickly.
If it is not that easy as you think, it’s gonna cost them time and resources and then everyone else gets mad that the Zigbee stack still isn’t rewritten, or that their devices are not added yet and so on…

1 Like

A seasoned software developer can gauge issues like this and comment on how difficult, or easy, a fix should be. That’s still possible without in-depth knowledge of the system.

Gauging the complexity of an issue and actually providing the fix are two different things. For one, to be able to supply a fix, you need access to the source code.

2 Likes

Its funny how community is blaming user requesting Athom to fix the feature that should be working by default. Some kind of Stockholm syndrome? If you look on official Athom web, its one of the features they do marketing on Homey: “Control your TV through Homey! Because Homey features Infrared, all popular TVs are supported, including Samsung, Philips, LG, Panasonic, Sony and many more.
Yes, only one who should be blamed is Athom.

5 Likes

Not a community possibly some members but not the community.

If this is gonna be another “Call each other names” topic then this topic will be closed.
Let’s be nice to each other, there is so much trouble in the world to worry about!
Off-topic posts will be deleted without further notice and that includes reactions to this post.
If u like this post just hit the little heart icon below this post. If u don’t like this post please send me, or any other moderator, a PM.

6 Likes