[Tutorial] Presence detection with bluetooth beacon

I just received my Nut Find 3 but am not able to connect it to the Beacon app (it does not show up). Any tips/guidance would be very welcome :slight_smile:.

1 Like

This is great! Thank you.

I’m making a review of the Tile Pro on my blog. So adding this would be great. But after adding the beacon the detection is not working. When i leave the house and check it after 30 min. is still says i’m home.

Is this a know issue? Do you have a solution?

I already tried to re-add the beacon but the problem is still there.

What version do you use? Did you check the beacon’s state (inside/outside range)?

Hi, i’m using: v1.0.13. Yes, in the APP of the Tile they (got 2) are both gone.

If i look in to homey’s insights then one is away and the other is gone. But the state of one is not changed and the other changed to but not at the right time. So it looks like the homey is not changing the state like it should.

If you need anymore information… just ask.

I’ve never have that experience with the beacon app. Have you tried to remove and add the beacons again? Have you tried to restart the app again? Have you tried to reboot homey?

What settings do you use for:

Update settings
The delay between reading sensor values in seconds. (default 10 seconds)

Discovery timeout
The amount of seconds that is given to discover the beacons. (5 seconds)

VerificationAmountInside
The amount of verifications the app need to mark a beacon inside the range. (1 time)

VerificationAmountOutside
The amount of verifications the app need to mark a beacon outside the range. (5 times)

You can try to use a discovery timeout of 10 seconds, that way Homey has more time to discover the devices.

Note: We are spamming the tutorial topic, if there is a problem try to use the app’s topic: Beacon - Using BLE beacons for presence detection

@RoyWissenburg can you please share how you implemented the presence detection with the doorsensor? It seems to do what I am looking for as well.

I bought these from Ali:

NRF51822 2 v-3.3 v Bluetooth 4.0 Draadloze Module Voor iBeacon Basisstation Intelligente Controle Systeem Baken BLE Module 4MA W/Case

click

Works with the Beacon App and has shown to be reliable to detect my son’s presence! I put this thing on his key chain.Range is about 5 meters, which is good enough for me.

Now I just hope that te Beacon App will work with v2 Homey firmware!

I followed your tutorial and have the following feedback.

When I add the beacon, i get the option to choose between: C368 BT 2955 and vívomove HR. Very confusing. Apparently those were the two detected devices and some random generated name? How do I know which one is which :slight_smile: i thought that had to pick between two types of beacons.

At first I didn’t use the Tile app, i just did what you have said. But after a x-minutes the tiles were not detected anymore. While they had not moved.

I tried adding them again, this time by clicking on the tile first. And again, both went offline after x minutes.

Then I downloaded the Title application, paired/activated them. Turned off my bluetooth on my phone and added them again to Homey. And now one went offline, the other is still there. No idea whether I should trust it or not.

So what am I doing wrong here?

What I don’t understand is that you continuously add them. As if the device is not unique.

– EDIT

I think its working now. No idea what I did.

Hi.

Quick question.

I have two keychains, and I leave my house with either but almost never both.

If i attach a Tile to both, and create separate flows that mark me as away when leaving.

What will the Tile do that is detected as it will still be in range?

Or do I have to disable the other tile flow(s) from the leaving tile flow?

Thanks

You can check in both flows in the ELSE if you are home that way the THEN is not executed.

Just bought some Tiles. However I can’t find the first i have tried to include in the Homey.

I have tried both with and without the app installed on my phone!

Should i do anything with the app on Homey?

Haven’t set the tile on hide. How do i do that?

Thank you! I have tried to read the thread here but i didn’t find the info you just shared. Maybe my English is crap. Again thanks, I will try it when i get home

1 Like

I’ve got my 4 tiles in… Doesn’t work. No tile is recognised.
Help?

I stand corrected, Roy, you are right.
Bought 4x Tile Mate
Downloaded Beacon on my 2019 Homey
Adding Beacon; Beacon sees 4 BT devices (TV, MiBand and some other)
Rebooted Homey - same result
Added 1 tile to Tile-app… Successful or Tile works
All tiles beep ie have battery
Several reboots don’t work, delete-reinstall don’t work

Tile mate 2020? They don’t work with the app for now because they are not publicly discoverable.

Hi, that could be it… I’ll have a look.
Anyway to identify 2020? Or pre-2020 for that matter :-)?

Have 2020 version. Not working

Ready for some fun…or sarcasm?
Ok, I bought 4x Tile Mate 2020… around €65 orso… didn’t work after I posted here I found out. That’s the design of Tile 2020… too secure or something like that.
Well, shipping back (PostNL seems to have lost the package to make financials worst).
I bought “NRF51822 Bluetooth Module Wireless Beacon +KX022 Sensor For iBeacon Base Station” @aliexpress… 3 out of 4 seemed to work… same issue… registered, worked for 1/2 hour… gone… intermittent appear and disappear.
Wtf… why? So I thought: “Tile Mate 2018” is guaranteed so let’s get them… bought 8… 2 days ago they came in… Easy registration, seemed to work… OOOOO NNOOOONONONOOOONONONOOO
Again the same issue: intermittent appearing and disappearing. Another €120 down the drain…

So, that got me thinking: what’s the issue here? For the tiles it’s simple: tiles communicate with tiles. If you have more than 1 they update each other on their location. That’s the entire idea behind tiles: when we all have tiles, tiles update the tile-home on their location.
It’s not overly strange they don’t want to communicate with Homey unless you force them by pressing the “discover” button.

The real question is: WHAT BEACON CAN WE USE that keeps working?
More important: can’t we get some link between Homey and our mobile phones/laptops.

The entire idea behind beacons is to solve something that isn’t in the Homey App: when I’m home, I want Homey to know that I (or members of my family) am home. @Koktail isn’t it an idea to link to mobile phones instead of beacons. @Koktail what Beacon are you absolutely sure of works with 2, 4, 6 8 beacons?

in the meanwhile, I’ll keep looking for waterproof, long range beacon that actually keeps working :wink:

Thanks,
F

Hi @RoyWissenburg,
Initially, I had 4 not registered in Tile-app… that was the first thing that didn’t work.
Now, I added the 4 remaining Tiles to Homey and put them in the Tile-app… same issue. Homey only sees them for about 1/2 hour after you hide/unhide them.
Retested this and indeed… .same result.
Question stays: what actually works. How can I determine who’s in and who’s out. I maintain my original position: the phone is the BEST way. Combine BT (and WiFi) and you have a winner.