[APP][Pro] Tuya Zigbee App

Clone/download your fork to your local computer, install the Homey CLI, then run homey app install from within the cloned/downloaded app’s directory.

2 Likes

You’re fast. I will have a try, thanks for the tips!

Edit: Whoohoooo! It works, thanks for the guidance. This is great.

1 Like

FYI: rechargable batteries, even the ones straight from the charger, have a lower voltage than non-rechargable batteries. Typically, they are at 1,3V where as a typical Li-ion would be at 1,5V. For demanding applications, one might want to avoid rechargable batteries.

i dont use rechargable batteries :rofl:

Can you make a tutorial on how you have done it, just need to know where did you edit the product ids on the current cloned app. Cheers

Hi, l will try below, but would like to create a very big disclaimer: I’m not experienced with Github or driver/software development at all and was just trying stuff, accepting the fact that I might break something in my Homey configuration and needed to rely on a backup (or worse). So I will write down what I did, but it’s at your own risk :upside_down_face: .

In my case there was already a driver for my device, but the model number was not mentioned in the driver. Oh and I am using the test version of the Tuya app on my Homey Pro '23.

Step 1:
Interview your device in the Homey developer view.

Step 2:
Copy the interview results. In my case the manufacturer and model information were most relevant:
Manufacturer: _TZ3000_wkr3jqmr
Model-id: TS0004

Step 3:
Went to the Github site of the Tuya App and found comparable requests/issues. I added my request to the existing issues. Hoping that the developer would eventually integrate my device in the official software/drivers.

Step 4:
Browsed to the “<> Code” section of the github of the Tuya app and selected “SDK 3 - default”

Step 5:
Browsed to the drivers folder of my device: /drivers/relay_board_4_channel https://github.com/JohanBendz/com.tuya.zigbee/tree/SDK3/drivers/relay_board_4_channel

Step 6:
There are 4 driver files in this folder. I opened and read each one of them and found the model types definition in “driver.compose.json”:

"zigbee": {
      "manufacturerName": [
        "_TZ3000_hdlpifbk",
        "_TZ3000_excgg5kb",
        "_TZ3000_u3oupgdy"
      ],

Click the pencil on the top right side of your screen “edit the file in your fork of this project”. This will create a “personal copy” of the app/driver in Github.

Step 7:
Added my “manufacturerName” to the list (beware of the " and , in the list):

"zigbee": {
      "manufacturerName": [
        "_TZ3000_hdlpifbk",
        "_TZ3000_excgg5kb",
        "_TZ3000_u3oupgdy",
        "_TZ3000_wkr3jqmr"
      ],

Click “Commit Changes”, give it a name/description and “save changes”.
Click “Create Pull Request”.

I believe this will create a fork of this project in your own github space.

Step 8:
Go to your personal fork and check if the committed changes in the driver are still there. I don’t know why, but in my case I had to redo the changes in my own fork.

From this point I continued with @robertklep’s suggestions:

Step 9:
Click the “<> Code” option and select “download zip”.
Save the zip to a convenient location on your computer and unzip it. I placed it directly in C:\ because that makes step 11 a little easier in Windows 11.

Step 10:
Install Homey CLI following the instructions.

This requires some additional steps of installing and authorizing the CLI on your homey. Just follow the instructions.

Step 11:
Open a command prompt in admin mode (windows 11) and browse to the unzipped folder with the complete Tuya app and drivers on your local computer.
Within this folder you’ll find a “homey app install” file.
Run this file.

Step 12:
I restarted the Tuya app on my Homey, paired the device and it was found and installed.

Step 13:
Walk to the fridge and get yourself a beer, you’ve just been able to create your own driver within Github (without really understanding what you just did). :innocent: :nerd_face: :joy:

Oh and one final remark. I really don’t know what happens if the Tuya Zigbee app gets an official update. I think it will overwrite my own driver which might break my device’s functionality if it was not included in the official app. Does anyone know if that will happen and how to prevent that?

3 Likes

Owkey. And that is really not what I expected.
I just read your post where you mentionned:

rechargable batteries, which came directly from the charger

But then, probably you meant something different?
:beer: ?

well, its jenni_seppa how talks about rechargable batteries :rofl: :rofl: Not me haha

Cheers :beers: :beers:

1 Like

Many thanks!

Hello moderators.

Any of you having any idea how it goes with the issues showed up for Johan about to make next the next update? As it has been very quiet for a long time now. I really hope he solve it and is all good. Hope the development is able to continue soon. So far it has been great effort and helped a huge amount users.

Hello user.

We are also just users, and we can’t read into the mind or life of an individual that is developing apps in his spare time (without getting any money, besides the occasional donation, for his hard work), but is also just really busy with his regular life what he’s already specified in this topic several times.
And IMHO probably the amount of complaints (of, for example, him not spending enough time into the app, or the app being “abandoned” after no responds for a relatively short while) is also pretty off putting to put a lot of free time into development.

3 Likes

Just very sad that someone has to complain instead of appreciate that people actually spend a lot of their time on everybody else. They should be banned from even using the app. I would love to help out, but sadly I have no clue about coding. Would be fun to teach some. I really hope this few as there always sadly is, negative not understanding individs is not allowed to destroy the fact that we are a load of people deeply appreciating what every single contributor do for all of us!

1 Like

Have tried this, but I get a lot of errors in the ITERM, what am I doing wrong?

@Christopher_Charpent
We have 3 of your Posts in this Topic [APP][Pro] Tuya Zigbee App Flagged as off-topic.

As others already mentioned:
This topic is for @johan_bendz to communicate about the App he made in his free time and published.

and he self says:

So from here in this topic we only allow on-topic questions and help regarding the Tuya Zigbee App and no discussions about how you would like Athom, the developer, or Tuya? and what You think THEY should…

Your posts / complaining and several responses from others will be moved to Off-Topic.

4 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Christopher Charpentier - OT - Complains about Athom/Homey in [APP][Pro] Tuya Zigbee App

I have no clue. Like I said, unfortunately, my knowledge of what I was doing is very limited… I puzzled together this workflow and it worked for me. Really hope it will work for others as well, but when issues or errors emerge, I’m as clueless as you are. Hopefully others can join in with knowledge or experience and make this work together.

I have problem in the “homey app install” get this message

:heavy_multiplication_x: Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, stat ‘/Users/Julius/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/RunningChromeVersion’

I had one before missing a singletoncookie, this one I was able to solve after accepting cookies in chrome and a restart.

How to solve the missing file and will there show up more?

You should run homey app install --remote

How? I have tried all night to figure this out, and it stops by this “missing file”. It even do not make sense, as this is about the note app for Mac, and it changes to another when I close the note app.

–remote it says is unknown

What version of the CLI tool are you using? homey --version