Homey Community

Twinkly App

official

small

Homey app for basic control of Twinkly Christmas Lights

App Store Page: https://apps.athom.com/app/com.twinkly

Description

This Homey app allows you to control Twinkly christmas lighting. It uses an unsupported method for communication between Homey and Twinkly devices so no garantees can be given. The app is currently limited to turning the lights on or off.

Instructions

Make sure you have your Twinkly Lights configured using the app and connected to your home network. Assign a static IP address to your Twinkly Lights in your router. Add your Twinkly as device in Homey using this IP address and configure the polling frequency. This is used to read the status of the device at the set interval to keep the Homey device in sync with the actual Twinkly device when using the Twinkly smartphone app for instance.

Changelog

v1.0.1 - 2018-12-02

• FIX: small improvement that might fix issues for some people

v1.0.0 - 2018-11-25

NEW: initial version

Nice! And just when Twinkly is found at the Black Friday sales. Guess I have to buy one (or a few) :slight_smile:

I’ll let everyone in Homey homies know about your app!

Just bought one. Will try when I get home. :slight_smile:

Wich version did you get? And can you tell me where? I’m looking for the smallest Twinkly version, but the only one I can find is at Intratuin at 50 euro’s (wich isnt’t that expensive, but Black friday discount would be nice haha)

Bought the 175 led. In sweden from kjell.com

when do you think this app is available in the appstore as a beta

Someone else that has problems with connecting to a local network. Have tried everything. Only the direct that works.

When Athom approves the app, that sometimes takes a day and sometimes a week. Out of my hands.

Yes, it’s buggy. Took me a while to get it connected as well. On Android you could try to purge the app settings and cache and try again.

Awesome, was thinking of starting an app for the Twinkly lights myself but am lacking time. Will try after Sinterklaas :slight_smile: Thanks!

Version 1.0.0 is published in the app store. It has been tested with firmware version 2.0.22-mqtt but it seems it does not work properly yet with firmware version 2.0.23-mqtt which is currently in beta. When this hits stable the app will need to be updated. So you might want to stick with 2.0.22-mqtt until the Homey app has been updated.

Got Twinkly Strings (225 leds) connected with static IP and firmware 2.0.22-mqtt but for some reason cannot get it to work with the Homey app, on/off doesnt do anything. It works fine through the Twinkly app.

Different LED strings seem to be using different commands. I need to figure out which LED string uses which command.

Anyone experiencing this issue can help me fix this by doing a CLI install of this Homey app version which contains extra debug logging, This should tell me what is going on. Just run this version from command line and first control the Twinkly with the smartphone app than try to control the Twinkly with my Homey app. The logging should show the status your Twinkly is in (something like off, effect or movie).

Please report your findings here.

i do also have the 225 string and it works

Update: It seems to be working suddenly now (strings 225). :slight_smile:

Good to hear, would you consider updating your rating in the app store as well.

Done, thank you :slight_smile: !

Cool!
Just bought the 175 version. Need to test this before Christmas I guess :smile_cat:

v1.0.1 - 2018-12-02

• FIX: small improvement that might fix issues for some people

Seeying the reactions here and on Github this improvement probably wont have much effect. If the Twinkly app is not working for you make sure you select a predefined effect within the Twinkly smartphone app, then close this smartphone app and pair your Twinkly with Homey. That should make sure you are able to turn in on and off.