Which ip camera

Hi all,

I have got the homey pro and a qnap system. Looking for recommendations on which outside Ip camera’s to buy…

In desperate need of some good advice!!

Thanks in advance

Hikvision or hiwatch works without problem. You have direct recording to NAS and you can see snapshot from camera in Homey as well.

Bought myself this one (a fixed dome camera): Alecto dvc-135ip.
Cheap ( €89 ) but does what it is made for.
Succesfull attached to Homey for making a snapshot when someone rings at my frontdoor in combination with ImageGrabber (trigger from KaKu acdb-7000b)

URL for ImageGrabber:
http://[camera ipadres]/cgi-bin/video_snapshot.cgi?user=[username]&pwd=[password]

STREAM at: http://[camera ipadres]/cgi-bin/videostream.cgi?user=[username]&pwd=[password]

Important: When using the camera over WiFi a STRONG signal is very important (and don’t allow you’re to use channels above ch10). BTW.
Hardwired (UTP RJ45) is also possible.

Peter

Here are guides on how to add IP cameras via HTTP or MQTT to Homey:

There are also guides available on how to add those cameras to the QNAP surveillance station and to use the camera’s FTP service to upload alarm videos to your NAS.

1 Like

Hej Mike, I am greatly impressed by the completeness of your website. Great supporting articles! I am not too much of a network expert. Can you show a template network design of a home set up where the cameras will get a fixed IP address from my netgear router? My ISP modem is not allowing me to assign fixed IP addresses. This network diagram is stopping from buying 3-4 outdoor PTZ cameras. Thks in adv.

Hey Jan,

Thank you!

You are right - your cameras will have to have fixed IP for this to work. IPs assigned automatically by your router (DHCP) usually change after a while - unless configurable otherwise. That is why all IP cameras allow you to set up a fixed IP address.

When your camera connects to your network it will request the IP address you assigned to it. All you have to do is to make sure that this IP address is not assigned to another device on your network already. Routers limit the range of IP addresses they use for the DHCP service - usually it is the first 100 or 200 addresses. E.g. if all your devices have IP adresses between 192.168.1.20 and 192.168.1.40 you are safe to assume that the IP 192.168.1.201 will never be used by your router unless assigned to a device manually.

You can use IP addresses all the way up to .253 for your fixed IP devices.