I have been using Homey for a while now. It started out being an interesting project. I was triggered because of the possibilities of Homey. Already owning some compatible products, i decided to go for it. Untill now, the products are:
- Some sonos speakers (GA-ready)
- Google Home mini
- Smart plugs (mainly COCO/KAKU, some INNR)
- Doorbell (sender and 2 receivers from KAKU)
- Door/window sensor (KAKU/COCO)
- Switch (KAKU/COCO)
- 3x smart lights (Tradfri)
- TV’s and other
I already owned some KAKU/COCO devices (doorbell) and chose for the other devices from the same brand, to limit the number of apps. However, I started feeling the drawbacks of 433 Mhz.
After a period of testing and some trail and error, I feel i’m ready to ‘upgrade’ to a proper smart house and getting rid of (most of) the KAKU/COCO devices. I am in the market for:
- Smart plugs (approx. 4-6)
- Smart switches (approx. 4)
- Motion sensors (approx. 6)
- Temperature sensors (4)
- Light/lux sensor (2) (may be integrated with the motion and temperature sensor into 1 sensor)
- Smart radiator valves (4)
- Possibly other devices, if offered by the brand and it gives me a possibility to automate something
I am flexible with these items. Depending on the brand, I am willing to alter the planned devices and flows when possible. So for instance, if the general opinion is that brand B is the best, but it doesn’t produce light/lux sensors, I am willing to compromise on this.
Before making this topic, I already read the test topic on the radiator valves. But this didn’t cover enough for me.
Because I don’t have any experience with smart brands other than KAKU/COCO (eliminated because of 433 Mhz) and INNR (eliminated because it doesn’t offer a wide aray of products) I would like to ask the following:
- Which brand do you recommend for me, and which brand do you absolutely not recommend?
- I named a few frequently used brands in the topic name, but if you feel another brand is better, don’t hesitate and suggest it!
- How do you feel about the products? Do they work reliably? How is the design? Easy to install?
- How is the connectivity? Is the network that is set-up reliable?
- How do you feel about the app in Homey for that brand?
- Are there any drawbacks and which are they?
- Are there unique selling points, which may be of interest?
- Are there specific products or specific elements that work very well / very bad?
- Is not having a bridge and thus not receiving updates a disadvantage?
- Any other information is welcome of course!