Which (smart) cameras are recommended with homey?

Many thanks for your precious insights, Adrian!

I will then build my cameras set up independently from the domotic system and in a second time create bridges with the ONVIF App (thanks for your contribution to the Homey App ecosystem).

Hi I am new to homey, and Iā€™ve read through alot of post (so I reply to you in this thread since i would love your input :slight_smile: )
If I were to buy more cameras, which brand is most ā€˜integratableā€™ with homey?
I have unifi cameras that works ok, but i would like full colour night vision/8mp so that rules out alot.
Hikvision, dahua and Reolink has decent cameras but I see from posts that itā€™s not straight forward? And thanks for your investing your time here, I have read many of your posts, very helpful! -Johnny-

Do you want to integrate them with an NVR or just use them for live viewing/motion detection?
Take into account, Homey can only take a snapshot from a camera, so there is no possibility to record or view video in Homey.
At the moment, I think Reolink is my favourite, but I also have other less well known brands that work well.
I have one HikVision camera but the motion detection is terrible. Even though it is supposed to have line crossing and human detection, it always gets triggered by birds hopping about on the lawn, which I canā€™t find a way to stop.

Hi, that was fast :slight_smile: I would like to keep on with NVR, and as for the snapshots I figured that with my unifi setup :sweat_smile: But thats allright, for me detection is important, nightvision and resolution; and to make the most of it with homey.
So i would like to buy something futureproof since I donā€™t see unifi releasing nightcolour. (unifi also triggers easily and doesnā€™t have pet recognition). For now the main task of the homey is getting outside lights on to help the cameras. Also gotten my philips hue, husqvarna and fibaro smokedetector up,.

I have a Reolink NVR with three cameraā€™s and they seem to be pretty good. I also like the Reolink app for viewing the video stream and recordings.

1 Like

Iā€™ll look more into them them. I see now you have a onvif app :slight_smile: thatā€™s the way to go then?

I agree with @Adrian_Rockall, the reolink cameras are really good quality for the price, you should get them connected with the onvif app but never tried it because i use a Synology system and the Synology homey app.

I use my ONVIF app for all my cameras and the NVR.
Some cameras that say they support ONVIF, donā€™t support snapshots and some donā€™t support motion so itā€™s a bit of a gamble.
The Reolink NVR provides support for both.

Reolinks latest cameras use SSL and the self-signed certificate cannot be handled by Homey (yet?), so neither ONVIF app or ā€˜Virtual IP Cameraā€™ works due to https requirement.

EDIT: Reolinks cameras works just fine. The default setting for ONVIF access is OFF, and needs to be Enabled.

Enable HTTP and disable HTTPS:

Also, both apps can disable TLS validation (perhaps as an option) so self-signed certs are accepted.

I would very much like that, thank you.