Wind Speed Units in mph

Hi Guys,

I’ve just purchased a Netatmo Weather Station including Wind Meter and have it hooked up to Homey.

Is there any way to change the Wind Speed Units from km/h to mph?

Currently set correctly in the Netatmo application.

Thanks

the units of all the capabilities are pretty much hard coded into Homey.
If you want to request this feature, then you’ll have to contact athom support.

in the mean time, if you really want Mph you could always change the app yourself, and create a custom capability to let it show Mph in Homey

Thanks for the swift reply. I’ll contact athom support.

Modifying the app is probably beyond me.

Where’s the source?

Aaah, right, forgot they had hidden the github repo of the Netatmo app :sweat_smile:

Bumping this thread.

I too have a weather station using the Oregon protocol. In Homey the wind direction is showed in degrees and as stated before the speed is in km/h.

Where I live we use the units m/s (meter per second) and using the compass direction. Like this: NW 5 m/s

Can Homey support change this locally in just my Homey?

If no one is willing to add extra capabilities to the app: maybe use a variable that is set using a flow that does the calculation? Or use Homeyscript to do the harder calculations?

Thank you Edwin!

However…I’m too much of a noob to even try to find out how to do what you suggested… :blush: But it’s good to know that the capability might be there. :+1:

Hi Paxman,
I think this could be recreated by you.

I created a Virtual Devices device of type ‘Sensor’ and sensortype ‘Windstrength’ (Windsnelheid in Dutch). I called it “Windstrenght __m/s__

Then I created this flow below.
Translated:
IF The windstrength has changed
THEN select the just created virtual windstrength sensor and pick ‘set value of a virtual sensor’ as action;
The measured value to be entered is measured_wind_strength;
The value is calculated by using the local tag of my Weather device (Wind NU oneAPI) [Windsnelheid];
The math to do is {{[Windsnelheid]*0.2778}}

Now the virtual windstrength tile shows km/h as windstrength units by default.
That’s not editable.
But, the good news is, the displayed value is in m/s
That’s why I put __m/s__ in the tile’s name.

Any questions, just ask.

Peter!

That is really elegant! :+1: :blush: The unit label is not that important (even if it is a little annoying), the value is what matters.

In my previous system (Telldus) I had a barometric pressure sensor (also Oregon protocol) that was shown in the strange unit “KPa”. That unit is never used in meteorological terms anywhere as far as I know. In Sweden we use HPa i.e one tenth of KPa but since I was able to put the decimal in the right place I got values that was correct such as 1008,7. The K instead of the H didn’t matter since I was only interested in the fluctuations in barometric pressure and a number value that I could correlate to my local weather reports.

I will try out your solution and see if I can get it to work. Thank you! :blush:

1 Like

Ok, so I’m trying to get this to work…but I must be missing something in your walkthrough.

I’m good up to creating the “THEN” in the flow. This is what I see in my phone:

I have to put something in both the “Sensor” and the “Value” fields to be able to save the flow, but I haven’t been able to replicate what I see in your screen dump.

Could you explain as I you were talking to a three year old what I should put in the two fields? (My local tag is [Wind Strenght].)

Nice read here.

Thank you Rocodamelshekima!

Now I was able to get it to work! I even managed to create a device that shows gust strength (the first one I did was average wind) in m/s…which is a good indicator that the tutorials worked for me.

There are a few typos in both tutorials…but I was able to figure them out. And the link in your tutorial to the capabilities just points to the Developer Tools page. I’m guessing that the capabilities are there somewhere but I wasn’t able to find them.

For the wind gust device I just took a chance and changed the “measure_wind_strength” to “measure_gust_strength” and it worked a charm!

Now I just need to figure out if I can create a virtual device that can show wind in compass direction instead of degrees.

Thank you both! I have learned a powerful tool to change unit visualisation to something that I’m used to. :smiley: :+1:

1 Like

The developer pages were adjusted by Athom since i wrote the tut. Link to capabilities fixed in the tut, thnx!

1 Like

Sweet! Thank you so much!

I really need to set up a Homey bookmark folder with all the goodies I find and are pointed to. :+1: :blush:

1 Like

Unfortunately that’s not a standard capability.
I requested a Virtual Devices device specific capability the other day, but the dev Arjan told me he wasn’t going to add it, while he would be busy adding specific ones every day. And he has a point :crazy_face:

It’s a pity wind compass direction is not a standard cap.
To me (and to who?) a direction of 266° don’t ring bells, but WSW does.

You could always request it @ Athom though.

Openweathermap f.i. provides the compass direction:

But the standard capabilities don’t

An ‘in between’ solution:
(Trigger card says: Compass wind direction has changed)

Exactly…who in the world use wind direction in degrees?

Funny thing is that my wind direction sensor is part of a weather station (using the Oregon protocol) that has a table top display. On that the wind direction is displayed as a compass with the needle pointing at the wind direction in the increments N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W and NW. Since the sensor obviously send the value in degrees the receiver must somehow convert these values into the eight compass values. The needle is never in
between these eight values…so the receiver must have some sort of hysteresis as a condition for changing to another increment.

It’s possible indeed to calculate it for a needle meter.
But there isn’t a needle meter device, or a device which can display characters like ‘NNW’ afaik.

So for now, we’ll have to stick “the wheel” at the back of our phone I’m afraid :sweat_smile:

I made a request for it. You’ll never know🙃

1 Like

Great! I seconded your request! :+1:

1 Like