Homey Community Forum

[WIP] HomeKit Controller

• Apps that as regarded as “tool” will not be allowed (as communicated by Athom on Slack); apps like that fall beyond the scope of Homey Cloud and require a Homey Pro.
  • Apps that require local device access will not be allowed because the Bridge cannot access such devices.

Both will rule out HomeKit Controller as a Homey Cloud app.

1 Like

Thx Robert, I will add that info to the wiki.

Not to be a pain, but that should be
…local wifi device access …
imho.
Wifi is only used for internet access afaik.

That’s correct (which still rules out all HomeKit-enabled devices).

Thank you for the clarification @Peter_Kawa & @robertklep. I was hoping I could expose the Busch&Jaeger Free@home lightswitches via HomeBridge on HomeyCloud but apparently I can only do that with HomeyPro.

1 Like

No one knows why Athom hasn’t implemented a Homekit solution yet. It seems logical to me the Homey cloud should have that integration.
For the Homey cloud, Athom aims at manufacturers to build integrations for their products…

But someone asked about this for tonights’ Q & A.
So go watch it😉

Of course an Athom integration for Homey pro would be nice, but developers can create / have created apps for the Pro. But that’s completely voluntarily.
I know there’s a Homekit experimental option build-in, but I don’t know if that is usable in any way.

2 Likes

They have, for Homey Pro (like you say). It’s experimental because they don’t want to be bothered by questions about it, it was written in an afternoon even though at the time two more complete HomeKit implementations were already available as app. My guess is that it looks nice to the outside world that they can claim that Homey (Pro) has HomeKit support.

HomeKit only works locally. I think the Bridge doesn’t have enough processing power to handle it (either a full protocol implementation or acting as a sort-of HomeKit proxy).

3 Likes

Check & thanks for explaining Robert. I know Rule One: “Thy should not assume”… but I have sinned. I assumed the Apple thing is connected online one way or another.

I don’t get it why Athom wants prospects to believe the “Pro” integrates with Homekit while it seems not a very serious option & still “experimental”
Or does it work fine, Robert? No Homekit stuff lying around here…

It’s not a Homey :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like