Zigbee device names

Hi all,

New to Homey, but experienced with Homeassistant. Have some learning curve obviously so I probably will be around the forum a couple of times.

My first question is regarding the name of Zigbee devices. I just added a Xiaomi motion sensor, but it shows up as Unknown Zigbee Device.

Is there any way to change the name?

Thanks

Did you add your Xiaomi Motion Sensor as a “generic” Zigbee device? Or did you try one of the Xiaomi Apps?

When adding a device in Homey, you will be presented with this screen…

Rather than selecting ZigBee, it is always best to search for the device brand to see if App(s) are available…

If App(s) are available, try installing one of these and then adding the device.

Personally, I prefer to search the Home App Store first in a web browser - this way I can immediately see the rating, features and if my device is listed as supported - then install into Homey.

It has just occurred to me that you may have already tried the above steps and your Xiaomi device is simply not supported by a Homey App (therefor has been added as “Unknown”) - in which case I have not answered your question at all!

To rename a device (including “Unknown Zigbee Device”) - all you do is click on the text and type a new name… it is as simple as that!

I hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the info! I’ve added the Xiaomi app (instructions were outdated, but I managed to get the token).

So, from what I understand is that adding a gateway does nothing more than adding the gateway itself. It doesn’t poll the devices attached to that gateway right? This seems a bit weird. In HASS all devices attached to a gateway are showing up when configured.

Also, I’ve tried adding a motion sensor, and it times out when I’m adding it to Homey.

@arnizzle since Homey has Zigbee by itself, it is possible to add most of the Xiaomi (Zigbee based) devices directly to Homey; check out the Xiaomi Zigbee app: https://apps.athom.com/app/com.xiaomi-mi

Advantage is that all Zigbee devices directly connected to Homey’s Zigbee network create a mesh network together.

You will need to remove an re-include the motion sensor after the app is installed

This worked perfect! Thanks for the feedback!