ZigBee Mesh or no Mesh

Hello All,

I have a very basic question: Is there a Zigbee mesh configuration in the Homey or not?
I can only see routes from the Homey to all devices (I have one extra router = Osram light) but the battery opreated Xiaomi door contact is not in range. Distance is about 1 meter clear line of site. In my house I have the same Xiaomi door contacts with more distance and walls in between but they report to the Homey no problem. Distacne between Homey and Osram lamp router is about 20 meters, but this is not a problem

Thank you in advance for looking at this issue and if you have a solution for me about how I can get the mesh network you are most welcme.

Cheers,
Antoin

There should be one, but it is not perfect jet.
You need to reboot sometimes to force the zigbee to heal/mesh again.
All that is because they still runn on Zigbee V1.0 but they are busy with a upgrade to V3.0 which will improve a lot.

Thank you

I invested in some Xiaomi Aqara gear, mains switches, wireless switches and door contacts in order to get my garage door to switch on lights when opened. Not only will the battery door contact not mesh with anything, but the mains light switch in the utility, installed solely to bridge the distance from Homey, loses contact regularly (4m distance).

Cold restarts and rebuilding the network starting with the mains switches have failed to ever get a mesh working. My frustration is heightened by the fact that my Meross garage door opener works perfectly even though the router is 15m away!

I could do with an official response on the timeline for the Zigbee rewrite on Homey before I am forced to buy a Xiaomi hub to solve the issue. Despite having loads of Z-wave devices, I started down the Zigbee route recently because I’m convinced that Zigbee/Thread/dot dot is the long term future of mesh technology. The Google Nest Hub Max has Thread onboard and when Google (and partners) get into full flight with a range of accessories that the regular home user becomes used to the “it just works” nature of the products, then other hubs will soon be relegated to the “IoT tinkerers” domain who still have to keep Z-wave networks operating. The sales growth potential for hubs, including ones as versatile as Homey, will soon fade away, in my opinion.

Homey needs to keep my enthusiasm alive (with the Zigbee rewrite) or I won’t feel confident enough to continue to advocate its purchase to people in the various Facebook groups that I dip into.

If there is light at the end of the tunnel, please (Athom) stop me buying another hub and linking it to Google Home and IFTTT; I know the end result won’t be as quick as Homey, but the family won’t be trying to get me to accept psychiatric help for my home automation addiction!

When will Zigbee work as a mesh system under Homey?

How do we, as a community, get Athom to feel the frustration of the Homey purchasers in multiple strings you come across in this forum, and tell us what the realistic timeframe is for the Zigbee rewrite? It seems to have been on the roadmap for a long long time!

OK will do. Thanks for reading my protest, let’s hope Athom do the same and respond in a way that gives me hope!

3 Likes

I just installed a zigbee network with aqara sensors. Some sensors are not reporting, i don’t see a mesh network, all the sensors report directly to Homey. Am I correct that Homey doesn’t have the capability to support a zigbee mesh network and do I need the aqara hub?
Thanks in Advance for your reaction

In more general terms, Zigbee end devices (which, typically, all battery-powered devices are), always have to connect to the closest router device (which, typically, are permanent-powered devices, like Zigbee light bulbs, wall switches, sockets, or Homey). If you don’t have any other router devices besides Homey in your Zigbee network, all those Aqara sensors connect to Homey directly.

If you want to create a proper Zigbee mesh, you need to add router devices.

Thanks for your response
Which powered router devices do you recommend for Aqara/Xiaomi products?

My Hue lamp is not acting as a bridge for Aqara, I suppose the devices must directly connected with Homey!

I have used a few Innr Smart Plugs. After that my Zigbee mesh is a lot better. On the developerspage it looks the same as before the plugs, but all aqara devices work great now. Nice thing about Innr plugs is you can use them for the Hue Zigbee mesh(my outside non hue bulbs are this way supported in the Hue app) OR the Zigbee mesh. Great.

I do not want to resume this old post but it is some days I’m fighting with this issue and I do not figure out how to resolve.
Easy problem. I need to place end device battery operated ( door sensors aqara ) far away from homey. I knew they where too far and I bought 1 control outlet ikea and 1 range extender ikea to place in homey’s range and act as routers.
I paired the 2 door sensors 2 to the homey but after in place they where not routing correctly trough the ikea routers.
So I unpaired the sensors and I try to pair again close to the ikea routers instead the homey, fail… there is noway to pair the.
I go back again, now I Paired the sensors to the homey but still not routing correctly.
Now the 2 sensors are really close the the ikea router, I rebooted the homey and I will wait again this night to see what is happening and check if the mesh rebuild itself.
Suggestion or tips to solve this?? thank you

You could try a different brand (like Osram, Philips, INNR) to extend your Zigbee mesh, perhaps the Xiaomi devices don’t want to route through IKEA routers (although that combination works fine for me, but I’m not using Homey).

In any case, Homey’s Zigbee implementation is the same as it was 7 months ago, so if you can’t get it to work properly, you have to consider that to be the cause.

1 Like

I didn’t consider this point, thank you for suggestion

Hi Daitarn3 ! I had the same problem as you, I wanted to install battery-powered Aqara devices far away from Homey. The very important basic rule you need to know is that Mesh Zigbee networks are not “interoperable”. Aqara, Philips Hue and Ikea devices don’t form a large Mesh Zigbee network as many people on this forum falsely think, but several separate Zigbee Mesh networks. This is what I learned from some very specific articles in the forum, but also from testing at home. In order to expand an Aqara Mesh network, Aqara DC-powered devices are required. I solved my problem with two Xiaomi Mi Mijia ZigBee Smart Sockets and on dollar adapters for my Swiss plugs. It works very well.

1 Like

Only if you use separate controllers for each brand (like a Hue hub or the IKEA gateway) will you get separate networks, but devices that are directly paired to a single controller (like Homey) will form a proper single mesh network.

I’m using the deCONZ controller, and my network consists of IKEA, Aqara, INNR and some separate CC2530 devices, all meshed together:

Xiaomi Aqara sensors are routing through an IKEA plug just fine here on Homey

How do you know that they are routing through the IKEA plug?

Tonight something happen.
Device 7 linked to device 9 that is a signal repeater ( ikea )
Devices 12 and 13 linked to device 11 that is a smart plug ( ikea )
Device 7 is working properly
Devices 12 and 13 they are not working, I see them linked but status do not change. I tried to change their status but “last updated” is still 16 hours ago.
I’m going to do some test today. I’m locked at home due to Covid 19, Italy here