Homey Community Forum

Aeotec Smart Switch 6 not updating values

Hi Everyone,

Need some advice, I am running the latest version of Homey along with the Beta app so have been monitoring my Energy Usage which has given me some great insights!

One thing i noticed that is that my Aeotec Smart Switch units sometimes stop updating their values which throws things out of wack.

I see it more obviously with the energy monitoring as if i have my TV on it should be using around 130 or more watts but it would be at 20 watts which is standby which breaks my flows.

Also my Cat fountain as you can see in the picture it hasn’t reported for 3 days, This does NOT affect the commands sent e.g when the motion sensor detects my cats near their fountain it will still turn on the pump.
For me to get this start reporting i would need to turn the power switch off and on again and then instantly the values would update and work again for a period until it stops again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Settings for my device

Maybe you have problems in the communication between Homey and your Switch.
Look at https://developer.athom.com/tools/zwave to check the connection.
Search on this site for ’ z-wave Mesh problems ’ to find commends on this.

Thanks that is a good idea i know its talking as i can still control the on off function, The next time one of them plays up i will try and see if i can get any more info from the diagnostics !

Cheers Matt

I also have the same issue. I have 2 Aeotec smart switch 6 devices next to each other (washing machine and tumble dryer) It is always the switch of the washing machine that stops reporting the energy.
It never is 0 at that time, but always has some value. Mostly a restart of the Aeotec app fixes the problem. Every once in a while I have to cut the power to the Aeotect smart switch 6, to get it working again.

I haven’t contacted Athom yet about this. But maybe I should, now I see others have a similar issue.

1 Like

Hey Jos,
So even with the latest updates etc it happens, I found what you said fixed it which was restart the app in Homey and that then got the values updated immediately.