[APP][Pro] Amazon - Alexa

Is anyone else having the same issue as @Stanley_Merkx ?

@Ron_van_Muilekom when you say that it doesn’t work (all devices) do you mean devices other than the Show 8?

I made and update to 3.3.6 from the previous version. The flows still worked after the update. I didn’t have to reconnet to my amazon account. The reconnection of the devices are indeed very fast.

THX for your work!

PS: My flows are still working after a restart of the app.

Hi,
Yes, same issue on different echo models and not only Echo show 8
Very strange, never had this issue before.

Does anyone else experience this issue too?

@Sven_B play music doesn’t work well if you use alexa music groups. Are you playing music via Spotify or Amazon Music?

@Ron_van_Muilekom the good morning report is working for me on my Echo Plus (gen1), however on that specific device the sounds / good night did not work. Which is odd. Ill have to do some more testing when I get a chance on other devices. Can you double check the good morning one?

Hi Jamie,
I can confirm that good morning report and a couple of other reports work, but good night + good news stories reports do not work.

Hi

I have some problems finding the “smart lights” I’ve connected to alexa (through the xComfort skill).
Is this a bug, or have I misunderstood some of the functions of this app (I just started using it)?

Thanks,
Morten

Version 3.3.7

Now available for testing and has been submitted to Athom for publication to the App Store.

Everything should be back to normal now, but please let me know if you have any other issues.

As Previously mentioned this will be the last feature lease for v4 of homey.

• Fixes Good Night
  • Fixes music not playing
  • Fixes sound not playing correctly
  • Adds the ability to add “other” devices from alexa to Homey - with on/off capabilities.
  • Adds support for the Echo Flex (cc : @victoroos & @Maik )
  • Adds support for the Echo Studio (cc : @dieter2005)
  • Adds support for the Echo Dot Gen3 with clock (cc: @Henrik_Muldgaard & @widameista & @Erik_de_Vries)
  • Adds support for the Echo Show 8
  • Adds support for the Echo Show 5
  • Updated to work with new amazon cookies
  • Fixes issues with proxy server
  • Better handling for timeouts
  • All new (style) icons.

@Ron_van_Muilekom and @Sven_B thank you for all your feedback, using it I was able to find out what was going on. The latest test version :

4 Likes

Hey @ElMorto no I think you have the right idea of what it is for. Can you give me some more information as to what they are and what is happening.

If the device is not showing in the list of available ‘smart lights’? - At the moment the ‘smart light’ device will only get devices which are specified as ‘smart lights’ in Alexa, perhaps the xConfort developers added it as a smartPlug or ‘other’.

Hi

Yes, that was the problem. But when I tryed with the new version today; they showed up right away :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Installed the update, now i can connect, install my alexa devices. When i try to play music through the Homey app (devices - select alexa device - click play) it doesn’t respond, also volume change doesn’t seem to work, BUT when i tell alexa to play music i can see a spinner in the homey play audio screen within the Alexa device, so there seems to be some sort of link. Any ideas how to fix this or could this be a bug?

UPDATE: Installed another Alexa device (both Echo gen 1, on that one i can controll the audio, volume etc. It shows the song played, only doesn’t update it when song is changed. My Echo Gen 2, has the same issue as the non working Gen 1, but i’m not sure if the Gen 2 is supported at this point.

UPDATE 2: Figured it out, if you voice command alexa first then you can control it through Homey, just install and play didn’t work, install - voice command play - then pause/play/volume etc works, no clue if it has something do do with my network setup, it’s intended to work like this, or maybe even a bug. Also Gen 2 works now. Don’t get song updates on my homey app though.

Hey can you please make sure that you disable all of the Alexa audio groups and try again?

For example : If you have an audio group set up with Alexa such as “everywhere”. When you ask Alexa to “play” it’s not actually playing to your device it’s playing to a “group” so your device doesn’t update and can’t control the “group”.

Doesn’t that help?

I thought that might be the cause based on your comment in the description, so i removed these 3 devices from all groups before testing, just to make sure. After 1 voice command to each device (play music) all works, i can play, next, adjust volume etc, but after i stop and wait a few hours i have the same, first have to give voice command for it to work again. Feedback now does work, including album cover, although i haven’t changed anything. Will test some more tomorrow

Ok that doesn’t sound too strange if there is no ‘music’ primed then it wont know what to play.

What happens if you want a couple of hours then use the flow ‘Play music’ - Does that work as expected?

With a voice command it will continue to play from the exact moment i paused it hours ago, so alexa knows exactly where it stopped, just homey “forgets” there is music primed it seems. I will setup some new flows and test that again

That seems to work fine now, even after hours all flows still run and play. :+1:

Update: it doesn’t just seem to be time that caused the play buttons not to work, also when i play music on another device the first one cannot be resumed, although it shows “playing” including cover art in homey (this is only the manual way, flows work fine.

Other stupid question, i wanna play music on more then 1 device simultanious. Seems simple, just add 2 cards, but that doesn’t work, it plays on the first “play music” device, not the other. If i setup another card for the other device (for example, play sound) both work fine. Any ideas how i can get to play music on both devices from just 1 flow?

1 Like

Hi Jamie,

do you have a short answer on the question?

Could it be possible (perhaps in future) to get in flows the last uses Echo (voice command to Alexa) and use it to address the correct Echo device for TTS?
Perhaps you could check the API if it’s technically possible to get this information over the API?
Thanks!

@Chris_nl, When the play button is pressed, I just send the play command for that particular device and rely on amazon to work it out.

I would not expect to be able to play multiple songs on multiple devices, you cant do that with alexa, and you wont be able to do it with my app. However secret pro-tip for people for read my posts create a flow to play music called ‘Good Vibrations everywhere’. This should get your around the playing to groups issue (for now), just be aware groups no matter how you start them will stop the play/pause etc buttons from working.

Hey @RonnyW there is no API everything that we are doing has been backwards engineered by making educated guesses.

Its possible that perhaps with enough time and effort I could have a flow to the ‘most recent’ alexa, but I worry it would not be a great user experience.

Perhaps if you explained what you would use it for which would make it worth the time/effort?

Is there any chance to get routines working? I can choose from a list but routine does not get started. Tried to open garage with Alexa via homey as garage doors not accepted yet by the Alexa homey app. Thanks

Works like a charm. adn thanks for the CC, really very attentive!. I love the new style icons!

Hi @Jamie,
thanks for your answer.

The usecase is:
I call Alexa, this activates a virtuel switch which starts a Flow.
Then some checks are done (windows closed…) and I woul dlike to give an answer with Alexa.
For answering, the just used Echo should be used.

But I can’t imagine how this coul dbe done in your app. To make TTS, a Alexa device must be used in flows.
To make it possible, your app must know the last used Alexa device (I don’t know if you can read it from Amazon). To call this device, there should be a generic device (“last used”) which addresses the last used one.

If there is no API then I think it’s not possible.
If you can’t see a way to do this in an easy way, it’s ok. I let speak all Echos synchronous :wink: