[APP][Pro] Tesla Smart Charger

Hi @balmli, any new insights about the detection driving/charging?

You are right until wednesday my Location Flows that ist triggerd by Tesla stops ist not working anymore

@LukDG @copiis

If you have data fetch enabled, the app will check the total state of the car every X minutes. So if you start driving or charging, the app will see that within a minute.

If you have data fetch disabled, it will just check the online / offline / asleep state every minute, but that won’t wake the car up.

So, with data fetch disabled, the app will see the asleep to online state change, and will start polling. But it can’t continue to poll forever because that will keep the car awake. So the app just keep polling for a few minutes and if you start driving or charging within that period, it will see that.

I see that my car does not always go back to asleep within 10 minutes if I go for a drive, let’s say to the store. I see that it can be around 1 hour before the car falls asleep. So when I go back from the store, the app won’t see that I start driving.

There are things that could be done to improve this I guess:

• increase the time interval the app polls after the car goes from asleep to online. Now it’s just 3 minutes. Increasing will keep the car awake longer, even if you don’t start charging or driving. The “3” minute value can be put into settings, so you can change it yourself.

• find a solution for how to log changes when the car is online, and you start driving or charing, without keeping the car awake unnecessarily

You can use the “The vehicle state changed” - trigger to see when the car switches between the online / offline / asleep states. And if you have any ideas to improve this, please let me know.

But when the car is driving or in driving mode, doesn’t it always stay awake?

Yes. But how can the app know that it’s driving without waking it up ?

Is there a way to check something from the car without waking it up? I think that is the “answer”.
I had the impression that the previous app was capable of doing that. I didn’t see before suspicious battery drains and the detection driving/charging was right on the spot. Every time i got near home my front ports opens and garage light goes on. Now worst case 60 minutes later depending the regular check intervals …

I’ve created a flow, ‘The vehicle state changed’ > notification : Vehicle state’. The only thing i see is ‘Online’. Even after 15 minutes, my tesla app says : waking up car… and i see at that timestamp a new entry : Vehicle state : Online, but i never see something else in the logs… that means my car stays awake, but the tesla app is saing something else. I should see at some point in time(line) that the car is offline/sleep ?

These days Tesla changed something on the API.
I can not say how this impacted on the App

Hello, I am running version 1.2.10. I can add my Tesla but after a day it stops fetching the information completely and it stops taking commands from the app!

Any clue?

Can you click the “Create diagnostics report” - button in app settings, and I might see what’s wrong.

Tesla has changed the backend services (again), that led to timeouts when logging in. (<= v.1.2.10).

That has been fixed in v. 1.2.11:

1 Like

Thanks balmli.

A quick question, I created a flow to start the charge at 10:00pm (low cost of my french electricity provider) but when I come back from work at maybe 07:00pm and plug the charge cable, my model 3 starts right now the charging. It there a way to avoid that?
Thanks
Sylvain

Yes, you can set the charging in the car, right. So if you set that to 11:00pm, it shouldn’t interfere.

Ah yes, so simply! You’re right, thanks !

Any news on the streaming detection? Location still not updated while driving between check intervals…:nerd_face:

Hi, thanks for thinking to supply smart charging solutions.
Please advice / supply programming aid on this suggestion:
I would like to configure a flow that is most useful & foolproof for everybody with solar panels and in all circumstances maximizing solar power charging:

1. The method would be to always hook up the Tesla on the charger, in a state “ready/waiting for charging”
  2. The charging should become active when power from the solar panels exceeds a minimum number (e.g. 3 kW) above the total power consumption of the home. Let’s call this value the “Remaining Energy”. The consumption value is available as it is measured by the solar power app of Homey (at leas if you have the proper hardware installed). According to my manual measurements the maximum charging speed is about 2 A higher then the available Remaining Energy in kW (at least on my 3 phase installation), e.g 5A at 3 kW. With 5A being the minimal charge current for the car to start charging.
  3. For the developper: we need to make the Tesla charging current available as a variable in the Tesla Smart Charger app, so that with higher Remaining Energy, higher charging current (= charging speed) can be set, and solar consumption is maximised at all times
    4 . Every 5 (?) minutes the measurement should be done to adapt the charging current and/or start/stop the charging process depending on the solar power availability. Note: for upcoming capacity measurement and according billing, measurement interval should be 15 minutes at maximum.
    5 . According to hours of sun availability this Homey charging process should only be applicable from 10 AM until 16 PM (maybe season dependent)

The result would be a optimized free solar charging and maximized range at all times :wink:

Also: can anyone help programming a smart flow for this (I have little experience) ?

(note: in my case I use the SolarEdge app and the installation includes a modbus to provide home consumption)

1 Like

Started using this today, to early to give any feedback but I just wanted to ask about the possibility for a home link card?

I’d like to make an automation based on the home link activation. So if home link activates the Tesla starts heating.

EDIT: Also, I cannot seem to get location to function. It is probably user error as I am completely new to this. But I am trying to heat the car based on the following flow: when time=x and Tesla location=x and Tesla outside temp>x then Tesla air condition=x

But it won’t allow me past the location step, it can’t seem to find a location and I don’t know how to set one.

Perhaps I’m not looking closely enough, but is there anyway to have state of charge as condition? Would love to set a condition that if the charge state is below a certain level, actions shall not be made.

Yes, I will add Homelink support.

1. An action card to activate (open / close) the Homelink device.
  2. A trigger that will trig when there’s a Homelink device nearby

I don’t have a Homelink device myself, so you must help testing this.

You can add locations with the “Add current location to geofence” and “Add location to geofence” action cards. When you add locations, you must give them names. Then you can use the locations afterwards, or delete locations.

Do you mean the battery level ?

You can test that in flows, by checking the value of the “Battery” (%) token for Tesla device. Or you can use the “Battery range” (km).