[APP][Pro] Beacon - Detect your presence with BLE beacons

While I would not rely on presence detection to control important things like the surveillance system, it would be nice to get a notification if, for example, we leave the house without closing a window or switching off all the lights. Rock solid presence detection would open up a large area of automation possibilities.
Homey’s built-in presence detection is pretty much useless, so I tried IFTTT which is solid on my iphone XS but not so much on the wifes iphone 6. AFAIK limitations imposed by smartphone manufacturers make a smartphone-app-based approach to presence detection prone to problems, so tracking another device (BLE tags, a routers ARP table) seems to be the way to go.
So I bought a set of Tile Pro tags. The Beacon app picks up mine about half the time, the wifes -once again- not so much. Now I’m at a loss about what to try next…

TL;DR Can’t get it to work :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Been struggling too. Tried various routes, the Netgear App was close to the solution. Now we use the Beacon solution and I am happy!

The range with my cheap Chinese beacons is limited (5 meters), but overall the best solution so far.

TL;DR Yeah!

1 Like

I’m happy for you, Ernst :wink:

Can you disclose where you sourced your beacons?

What version of Homey do you use?

Homey BLE is less stable since 2.0.0.

Since 2.1.2 Homey core uses a cache meganism to limit the BLE discovery resources. The app filters BLE missmatches by verifying the state multiple times. Because of the cachelayer this fails every time.

I bought these:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/mQpyiUcRD

Homey Firmware is v2.2.0

i can’t seem to pair mine for some reason. I’m using Homey 2.2.0 and Beacon 1.2.9

My beacon also consists of the NRF51822.

It’s unable to find the device and times out after 30seconds, anything specific you did to pair? Did you press/hold the button of the beacon?

@Retrospected
No, I did nothing special and just followed the instructions. Perhaps a dead battery? Or a DOA?
I use App version 1.2.9 and Homey f/w 2.2.0 too

Perhaps a PTP!

Thanks for your response, it work on homey <2.0, I renewed the battery and I did a PTP but no luck
I’ll just order yours and see what happens :slight_smile:

Since a few days my beacons are always precent anyone else have this problem?

I already treid restarting the app and restarting homey but no luck

As far as i know nothing changed except that homey updated to 2.2.0

Edit: as if athom knew… Homey updated to 2.3.0rc2 and know it works again :joy:

I decided to give it a few more days when my Homey updated to 2.2.0, but reliability remains less than stellar for my wife’s presence while mine is ok. PTP and replacing the battery in her Tile didn’t help. I’m not ready to buy her a new iphone just yet :wink:

Hi all,

I went through the thread to look for a similar problem as I am experiencing.
I have a Homey Pro with version 2.3.0. and use the beacon app version 1.2.9.
Detection of my Tile Pro’s works fine, but I can only sync/detect by pushing the button on my Tile.
Detection afterwards only works when I push that same button. The Tile is then detected until roughly a minute after, what looks to me as a sync mode on the Tile - with the melody, stops.
Then the Tile isn’t detected anymore.
I tried reinstalling the app, re-adding the Tiles (I have two, both have the same issue), but to no avail. Tried PTP as well (although it took some time to find out that PTP means pull the plug :joy:).
What am I missing?
Thanks for any replies,

Jack

1 Like

I am not sure but it maybe depends on each beacon how it behave itself. Maybe its software sets it to sleeping mode, in other words its not detectable without ptp. I have bought several cheap beacons from ali and it seems only two are suitable for me (first and last one). I use them for presence of family members (attached to the keys). Some of them stop to be detected after some time and neet to be woken up. My settings you see below. I give it some time to have the beacon recognized as away.

Haven’t installed the Tile app in the first place, 'cause I read about the problems. So fresh out of the package…

Jack

You have to install the app first to register the tiles

For me, that turns out not to be the case.

I’ve got the same issue, sortof…
I’ve got two flows;
1 - IF tile is out of range AND tile is out of range THEN message away.
2 - IF tile is in range AND tile is in range THEN message home.
Sometimes they get triggered, sometimes they don’t. There is no logic behind it.

However, the device always diplays correctly if it is in range or out of range.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in triggering of flows when tile is within range or out of range?

I don’t see the logic here. Sounds like “IF lamp is on AND lamp is on”
Can u tell us the benefit of this besides reading this a few posts up?

1 Like

Hi,
Seems to work now.
I figured out now what I did wrong.
In the IF section you can select the Beacon app (with sub choices) OR the Beacon (tile) itself.
What I did when setting up was select the Beacon app instead of the Beacon itself.

So: to get flow triggering to work just select the beacon (tile) itself instead of the App.
In the beacon itself choose In range/out of range.

Thank you all for the quick replies!

I tried bluetooth itag software, that finds my miband 3. (and the itag, nuki, and some mi flowers)
But the homey does not see my mi band 3 :frowning: Any idea?

Hi,

Is there a way to add support for Beacon simulator apps on mobile phone ? E.g. Beacon Simulator on Android can simulate iBeacon, AltBeacon and Eddystone protocols.

This allows us to use any mobile phone that supports BLE as a beacon.

I don’t always carry around my keys, but I do my phone :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes