Connecting to the Homey API?

I have no idea if they will stop allowing it, just warning you so you realise that it may stop working at any time.

And Homey, sadly, can hardly be called “open”. All the system software is closed source, a lot of apps as well, and Homey won’t work without cloud access. I always get the feeling that community developers are considered by Athom to be “bad actors”, against which users need to be protected. The Web API has been in a closed beta state since forever. The SDK is developed by Athom for Athom (solving issues they have), not so much for third party developers. Hardware access is (very) limited.

Thanks. I’m a bit addicted to my 3D dashboard project now, but I’ll make sure to keep the HomeyClient loosely coupled. If it ever breaks I hope to simply swap to a future alternative with only that layer to rewrite, but perhaps they even start to officially support it some day. For now it realises everything I could dream of :slight_smile:

Well… a configurable webhook for Homey to update device changes (light on/off, alarms, etc.) would still be on the wishlist as now I need a service to periodically poll Homey statusses, but reading how Athom is working against these kind of developments I think it will remain a wish forever.

Edit: And another big wish… why on earth do they return device JSON with GUIDs as objects? No way to serialize that. Those first device GUID’s should have been simply “Device”, that same GUID is already listed as an ID for the object. A GUID is no object…

Hi,

I want to create my own dashboard as well. Did you ever finish yours @Cuflee? The web api seems to be public ally available now, but did anyone in here ever get the keys for south authentication from Athom?

Regards
Markus

Hi Markus, it’s still an ongoing process for me, with long periods where it comes to a complete stop, but the basics were working fine. I made a 3D model of my house in Unity, and could add triggers that fired API calls to Homey, but all using the “hacky” method described above. I’ve also read that they now made the API publicly available, so that would probably be the better way to go now.

Most work for me is within the Unity app, making it so that I can rotate, zoom in and out of the house, hide walls as as zoom further, light up clickable areas etc. I’ll probably rewrite the Homey interface as soon as all of that is working nice enough.

You are still not allowed to use “hacked” credentials (client id and secret) or the developer test id for a public app/software.
You still need to request a WebAPI client id which will have less rights than the developer test id (that has full rights with scope “homey”).

Ah, thanks for clarifying that. Then I will continue using the hacky way for my own personal dashboard, that works fine and is not public. Wish they could make this a lot more “open” someday.

But you can make a short description with screenshots or a video of your dashboard and fill out the WebApi request.
I was going this way for the Garmin watch app. It took a while but finally I got it.
Perhaps you need to convince Emile :smile: