Guide to Connecting gBridge to Homey for Google Assistant

I will be installing some shades in the near future so I’ll look into getting them to work. I’m not one of the developers though but I hope I can at least find out if I can get it to work and the reason if I can’t.

1 Like

Thanks. Been trying some stuff, but couldn’t get it to work yet…

I tried to add a colored light to gBridge just to see if I could get it to work, and there seems to be a problem.

In gBridge we have three choices of color temperature settings
RGB, JSON and Temperature.

The problem seems to be that none of these are the same format as the one Homey uses to speak.
Homey seems to use HSV (which I hadn’t heard of before). If we manually add HSV to the “set” parameter it changes to that value, however in my case only temporarily then after two seconds it changes to something else, not the value it had before but it seems to add 40 or something to the “S” value of HSV. I haven’t tried to figure out why.

Theoretically one can use Node RED to convert RGB to HSV. But as it is right now I don’t think we’ll get this to work without something in between to convert the values. I have no idea if there’s any standardization of this value.

The “Temperature” option of gBridge seems to have a bug. When I try to use this instead of RGB or JSON it won’t even publish the setting to the correct topic but use the default one no matter what I type in the setting. I don’t think that this would help us even if the bug wasn’t there because this doesn’t use HSV either but some other variant.

Anyway one can only hope that a standard either exists or will be implemented in the Homie convention because this is what happens if everyone can take their own approach.

@HarriedeGroot do you have any comments about this? Is there a “correct” way to implement color temperature of devices?

@pkappelt Heads up for the bug I encountered regarding Color Setting (Temperature). This did not happen to any of the other Color Settings.

@Camelen The Hub has an option to set the color format to RGB (under custom protocol). I didn’t test this thoroughly (read may not work). It expects a color format: “R,G,B”.
There is no separate topic for ‘temperature’ (yet). It’s a known shortcoming and also needed for HA light devices…
Homey scales all values between 0 and 1.
Take a look at the HomeKit implementation for the correct formula.

Thank you for the answer! A bit dumb that I didn’t check the settings first :neutral_face:

I might test it but as far as I remember from my last test rgb from gBridge had the format ‘RRGGBB’ so it probably won’t work.

I don’t have an opinion myself if this should be fixed and if so how to do it and by whom. So I’m just gonna leave it like this.

1 Like

Hi Peter,

Will TV and Amplifier added as device in the near future? Would be great to set volume- and channel up and -down.

Better to maybe open a topic in gbridge.io
Peter isn’t very active…

Although he’s not active on his own site either…
@pkappelt

2 Likes

Stopped working totally over here. Can’t figure out what it is.

Also try to install and when i want to add device in gbridge website i have an error.

An error occured

• The traits field is required.

That’s because you have to select a capability for your device (on/off, dim, …)

yes i dit fill in all de fields and still the error

And when i push add tis is the problem

Seems since the last server upgrade about 14 days ago things didn’t go well. @pkappelt has stopped even responding on his own forum… I hope he’s ok

I hope so, but I would like to link my house to mqtt and I don’t know how else. could you help?

Works like a charm!

Without experience in mqtt it took me some time to set-up but this is worth the effort!

Can someone give me screenschot from the MTTQ hub settings. Worked ok but i did yesterday a re-install…

These are my settings for HUB. i do utilize zone inclusion. thats up to you.

Running: Yes
Protocol: Custom
Topic: gBridge/u[USERID]
Include Class: No
Include Zone: Yes
Normalize: Yes
Percentage format: int 0…100
Color format HSV
Broadcast device changes: Yes
HA Discovery: No
Broadcast system state: No
Commands: No
Send birth and last will: No

Pleace help i have te MQTT hub, MQTT client and MQTT broker running.
On the website gBridge i cant add new device this is all what is holding me down.

Isn’t working grrr. Had it working fine with homie convention, but stopped working suddenly. Device states are published, but can’t change them them through google home