Homey Community

Homey's Offline capabilities tested! [v2.0.0-rc.x]

Often People ask what happens if Homey can’t connect to Internet.
From the “Old” Support site, updated with our current knowledge:

Functionality that requires internet

Homey uses the internet for a number of things, including:

• Setup/authentication/updates/installing of Apps from App store
  • Voice Recognition (Speect To Text / STT)
  • Athom Cloud Connection for fe Presence detection
  • Certain Apps (Think about all cloud services, including many online Thermostats)

Offline possibilities

Offline Homey will still be able to manage your home, as Homey is not dependent on cloud services to operate (unlike some other systems). Functionality that remains available offline includes:

• Controlling your home with the Homey Smartphone App while you’re on the same WiFi network
  • Executing flows that don’t need internet, for example sensor based ones
  • Voice output , allowing Homey to speak (for example in flows)
  • Logging of your local sensor data in the Insights module

Conclusion

In short, all the capabilities that do not clearly require internet work. Homey will still be able to manage your home using your flows, and you will be able to control Homey via the smartphone app while at home. A lot of extra awesomeness is gone though.

Note: some devices (including most smart thermostats) require Homey to connect to them using the internet (and do not have a local workaround). Homey might not be able to control these devices while offline.

From the support page do i need internet for Homey to work

Tested Scenario on:

• Homey 2.0.0-rc7
  • Homey (Gen.2) App 0.17.0.236 on Android Galaxy S7 Edge.
  • Homey (Gen.2) App 0.17.0.236 on NoxPlayer Android 7 Emulator Local Connected.

Simulating an Internet Outage I Pulled the internet cable from my router/firewall, My local WiFi is still up and working including my Local Firewall/Gateway/DHCP server.
I tested the following successfully:

• Connect the Mobile Phone to the WiFi and connect the Homey (Gen.2) App. :white_check_mark:
  • Restarted Homey from the Homey (Gen.2) App. :white_check_mark:
  • Re-Connect to Homey after loading. :white_check_mark:
  • Disconnect Mobile Data (4G) and re-connect using Wifi the Homey (Gen.2) App. :white_check_mark:
  • Send an KAKU Signal and Trigger a Flow to Switch a Zigbee lamp. :white_check_mark:

So far this was everything I could think of to test,
Please know that to function locally both the Mobile device as Homey still need an IP address.

If you have any other experience please describe with as much information possible regarding:

• Status WiFi network
  • Status network services like DHCP, Default Gateway and DNS
  • Connection status of both Homey and your Mobile
  • The checks you did, including the complete Flows (for dependencies)

I will be happy to check.

Homey 2.0.0 Experimental discussie [NL]

Visible a Local connection on Homey and NO Cloud Connection.
Also see the ! behind my WiFi indicator that my Internet is not functioning.

Homey 2.0.0 Experimental discussion [EN]

I believe that the app will require that Homey have an internet connection in order to first log in, is that correct?

I’m curious about that too.
Suppose my internet connection is down and I reboot my phone (or completely restart the app, so that it wasn’t running in the background), will it still work with the Homey sphere.

So far it looks good, but I’m curious about that last part.

Hi Dijker,
interesting tests, was wondering about this myself as well.
I’m running a domoticz/node-red/mosquitto server on ubuntu along with my Homey here at home. These are connected via mqtt (client app on Homey) and what I noticed is that this connection is lost as soon as the internet connection is lost.
My Homey and mqtt broker are both running on my local lan network and I would assume that this would keep running even without internet connection, but somehow it does not.